Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
In Macau
217 Posts
Very interesting information, thank you so much for sharing the experience and research.

My 5month baby Ella was diagnosed with hip dysplasia after a knee injury (torn ligament), the outcome of a very nasty fall after an adventurous attempt of jumping obstcules (silly girl) me and the vet decided to do the X-Ray with the excuse of this injured although we didn't really needed it to do diagnose. So on her 5month birthday Ella was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia. The vet started her immediately on Synoquin for medium breed (loading dose) and ordered Synoquin Growth (glucosamine HCI combined with Chondroitin) for dogs that will be over 25kg adult weight.

We live in Macau and let's just say large breed dogs are not common except on the expats that bring them from their origin countries, reputable breeders is pretty much an illusion so getting anything suitable for a golden is not easy from toys to beds and food these people are into toy dogs 😓
I've seen a good improvement on her morning stiffness and we are trying to teach her how to swim in the beach (small waves) to improve her muscles, I'm thinking what else can we do to improve her life quality.

Considering adding fish oil as supplement and maybe vitamin C and E but I confess I'm a bit confused with dosage etc. wondering if Sarah would be kind enough on mentioning some brands

Ella is now 5 months and half 22kilos and adorable 😍

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your Ella is adorable.

Member IowaGold is a Vet here in the states, below I have copied her original post from page 1 of this thread below with the dosage amount. I am giving my two adults Dasuquin with MSM and following the dosages of Vit. E and Fish Oil Iowa Gold recommended.

Very interesting information, thank you so much for sharing the experience and research.

My 5month baby Ella was diagnosed with hip dysplasia after a knee injury (torn ligament), the outcome of a very nasty fall after an adventurous attempt of jumping obstcules (silly girl) me and the vet decided to do the X-Ray with the excuse of this injured although we didn't really needed it to do diagnose. So on her 5month birthday Ella was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia. The vet started her immediately on Synoquin for medium breed (loading dose) and ordered Synoquin Growth (glucosamine HCI combined with Chondroitin) for dogs that will be over 25kg adult weight.

We live in Macau and let's just say large breed dogs are not common except on the expats that bring them from their origin countries, reputable breeders is pretty much an illusion so getting anything suitable for a golden is not easy from toys to beds and food these people are into toy dogs
I've seen a good improvement on her morning stiffness and we are trying to teach her how to swim in the beach (small waves) to improve her muscles, I'm thinking what else can we do to improve her life quality.

Considering adding fish oil as supplement and maybe vitamin C and E but I confess I'm a bit confused with dosage etc. wondering if Sarah would be kind enough on mentioning some brands

Ella is now 5 months and half 22kilos and adorable

Supplements, etc. for Arthritis/Joint Problems
Reading through the threads here, it's easy to see that joint problems (be they hip or elbow dysplasia, cruciate injuries, or just plain arthritis from advanced age) are a common source of questions. As my own young dog was recently diagnosed and treated for elbow dysplasia, I've been doing a lot of research on the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) to determine what supplements (if any) have merit for my girl who is only a year old and already has DJD (dengerative joint disease). Here's what I have come up with from VIN as far as supplements:

Some supplements have been proven to reduce inflammation. Individual supplements can be efficacious in individual dogs - not every supplement will produce profound results in every dog. Because of their very natures, the supplements listed below are extremely unlikely to have unpleasant side effects so their potential to help far outweighs their potential to harm. Collectively, they are recommended as a first line of defense in all dogs with DJD. In fact the following supplement are so benign, that most of them would be entirely appropriate to give to dogs not currently suffering from, but at increased risk of developing, DJD.

1. Glycosaminoglycans: Glycosaminoglycans are a source of cartilage-matrix molecules which are the components and precursors to cell synthesis, increase the production of synovial fluid, and neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals.

A. Adequan® injections. The label dose is twice weekly for 8 doses. Many veterinarians will continue to maintain their DJD patients with injections every 1 to 4 months (or more often in severe cases).
-Adequan® injections will reach adequate blood and tissue levels much quicker than oral products.

B. Oral Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements. These should start at the same time as the Adequan injections. By the time the semi-weekly Adequan® injections are completed, the oral supplements have had time to achieve sufficient blood levels.
-The joint products made by Nutramax Laboratories, Inc. (Cosequin® and Dasuquin®) are the only ones that have credible efficacy data in dogs, but that does not mean that other products are not effective. You do need to be careful as many products do not actually contain the stated amounts of supplement.

2. Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Fish oil, or more specifically EPA and DHA, has been proven to decrease inflammation and is helpful in most inflammatory processes (DJD, allergies, cancer, etc.).

A. The anti-inflammatory dose of fish oil is approximately 300mg of combined EPA/DHA per 10 pounds of body weight. This is typically one 1000-1200mg fish oil capsule per 10 pounds.

B. Some fish oil supplements have been shown to contain unacceptably high levels of mercury and other contaminants. You can check the rating of a potential fish oil supplement at the following sites:
-Environmental Defense Fund: http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536
-International Fish Oil Standards: IFOS Home | The International Fish Oil Standards Program

3. Antioxidants: Antioxidants neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals which can start chain reactions that damage cells.

A. A general antioxidant supplement should contain components such as bioflavonoids, vitamins E and C, selenium, zinc, and manganese which are all good antioxidants.

B. Vitamin E: This fat soluble vitamin is not only a powerful antioxidant but will also help with the absorption and utilization of fish oils.
-Natural (d-alpha) vitamin E is more efficacious than synthetic (dl-alpha).
-Large dogs should receive approximately 400 IU per day (smaller dogs, approximately 200 IU). Many general antioxidant supplements contain some vitamin E, but the amounts included are unlikely to reach the recommended level of vitamin E, so supplementary quantities can be given to achieve the desired level.

C. Vitamin C: This water soluble vitamin is another powerful antioxidant.
-Dogs naturally produce vitamin C, but given the possible benefit and the lack of potential harm, adding additional vitamin C may be prudent. Excess vitamin C will be eliminated in the urine.
-Large dogs can receive 1000mg or more per day (small dogs, 500mg); ideally split into morning and evening doses as vitamin C is quickly eliminated from the body.
-Massive doses have been known to cause loose stools so it is advisable to slowly increase vitamin C supplementation to the desired level.

D. S-adenosyl methionine (SAM-e): SAM-e has been shown to improve cartilage metabolism. It has also increases glutathione levels, especially in the liver (glutathione is a natural antioxidant).
-Denosyl® and Denamarin® are the only brands of SAM-e researched in U.S. trials for dogs and cats.
-After an induction period (perhaps one 30-day supply), it is reasonable to decrease the dose to every other day or twice weekly due to the significant cost of daily supplementation.
-An added benefit is protecting the liver from the potentially harmful effects of NSAIDs, if the DJD progresses to the point where these drugs are needed.

4. Niacinamide (aka Nicotinamide): This water soluble B vitamin has demonstrated some anti-inflammatory properties. Note that Niacinamide is not the same as Niacin.
-Large dogs should receive 500mg per day; small dogs, 250mg per day.

5. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): MSM is potentially anti-inflammatory. It may not help, but is extremely unlikely to harm. It is included in some glucosamine/chondroitin products.

None of the above supplements have been proven to prevent the development of DJD. Dogs are notoriously good at hiding the early signs of DJD, though, so early supplementation could potentially achieve the result of having physiologic levels of the supplements in the body when the first damage is done, long before the dog exhibits clear signs of DJD. Therefore, dogs at risk of developing DJD may potentially benefit from supplementation with oral glucosamine/chondroitin supplements (+/- MSM), fish oil (perhaps drop the dose to half the anti-inflammatory dose), and a general antioxidant supplement with supplemental vitamins E and possibly C.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for this thread. My 8 1/2 year old golden has started getting stiff in the shoulders and I came here looking around for some tips. I've started giving her cosequin and 5 fish oil capsules a day, based on the info I found here. It's been about a month and a half and she seems to be doing noticeably better. As a bonus, her coat looks great. I thought it was pretty good before but, the fish oil made it even better. So much so that I've started giving a couple a day to my shepherd and his dry itchy coat is now soft. I wish I'd known about this when my old golden was still around. It could have helped him out too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's a site that some of you might find interesting. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Glucosamine--Asta/999072.aspx This is where I shop for all my dogs needs. Whether it be vitamins, glucosamine or flee meds. My last golden had some joint pain when she was around 7 years old. I gave here the glucosamine + asta pills and it worked wonders. She started to get up off our wood floors much easier. My current golden gets 3 pills a day. A daily vitamin, a probiotic and brewers yeast and garlic tablets. Yeast and garlic tablets are to help prevent flea and tick attacks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help, bad hip dysplasia

Help...any advice very welcome.

We took our beautiful 17 month old golden retriever to have her hips and elbows X-rayed/scored as we wondered about breeding from her.

We received some devastating news. Her elbows are fine but her hips are terrible, they said both hips are very bad and her hips score was 85!

We obviously will not be breeding from her now, but we are very concerned about her further. The vet said just see how she goes as she is not showing any signs of pain and is very fit. She is slim and happy and has very good muscle around her hips.
Do you think we should put her on vitamins... look at operating or just see how she goes?

We want to make her life as happy/pain free as possible, and wonder if seeking interventions now would be sensible or silly as she isnot suffering?

Also, I was wondering if we should get her spayed, someone said not to as she will need her hormones to help with her hip strength and having her spayed can cause other problems?

Thanks

Bernard

·
In Macau
217 Posts
Help...any advice very welcome.

We took our beautiful 17 month old golden retriever to have her hips and elbows X-rayed/scored as we wondered about breeding from her.

We received some devastating news. Her elbows are fine but her hips are terrible, they said both hips are very bad and her hips score was 85!

We obviously will not be breeding from her now, but we are very concerned about her further. The vet said just see how she goes as she is not showing any signs of pain and is very fit. She is slim and happy and has very good muscle around her hips.
Do you think we should put her on vitamins... look at operating or just see how she goes?

We want to make her life as happy/pain free as possible, and wonder if seeking interventions now would be sensible or silly as she isnot suffering?

Also, I was wondering if we should get her spayed, someone said not to as she will need her hormones to help with her hip strength and having her spayed can cause other problems?

Thanks

Bernard

Put her on glucosamine supplement and maybe green lip mussel also if she's not showing pain or big trouble walking my vet suggested to try and avoid surgery and focus on trying to improve her muscle mass by swimming (to avoid the body weight and impact) also very carefully monitored diet to keep her lean. That was the advice of my vet and the ortho surgeon for my girl that was diagnosed at the age of 5months (she's now 7monthe and I see big difference with the supplements) ask a ortho surgeon opinion on surgery if delay or not and if it's a go ahead the different options.
And definitely spay her to avoid the possibility of breeding this genetic recurring problem to new puppies and also to protect her from the additional weight of a pregnancy.

I've posted a indicative dosage but suggest to have double check with your vet and also see how she reacts, after a month or so you will understand if she needs more or if you can save up a bit and invest in other things she may need

Keep strong it is not the end of the world she can still have a very happy life with you

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. I remember a wise old veterinarian saying that food trumps genetics every time. My experience tells me that too much starch in the diet precipitates inflammation. This is why many years ago they started making large-breed puppy food that basically reduced starchy carb. levels. I have worked with a lot of dysplastic dogs, some that were in need of hip replacement surgery, with Chinese medicine (acupuncture and herbs) as well as joint supplements (acetyl-m) and diet modification. High-protein, low carb diets keep the excess weight off (% body fat) and promote lean muscle, all which support joint function. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great Post! Thank You so much. I need to increase the fish oil, too. Been giving only 1 capsule a day. I didn't want my girl to have loose stools. She also gets a t. of golden paste(turmeric) and 1 t. of coconut oil on her food 2 times day. I too, give her the Dasaquin MS 2 times daily. She's a seizure dog and is on phenobarbital 2 time daily and it seems to be working. Thanks again!

Charlotte & Kassie-girl

·
Registered
4 Posts
George is healthy and happy but after one day at the beach he limped for one day and since does this struggle to stand from lying down... He does play happily and walks normally too, no sign of discomfort.

We realized he had also been to the agility part 3 times in a week, could he have pulled something or should I be worried about more serious hip problems/arthritis?

Hip Dyplasia? Arthritis? Or just achy? - Gfycat
Please watch the video and let me know what you think. Would supplements be enough to help him out?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
George is healthy and happy but after one day at the beach he limped for one day and since does this struggle to stand from lying down... He does play happily and walks normally too, no sign of discomfort.

We realized he had also been to the agility part 3 times in a week, could he have pulled something or should I be worried about more serious hip problems/arthritis?

Hip Dyplasia? Arthritis? Or just achy? - Gfycat
Please watch the video and let me know what you think. Would supplements be enough to help him out?
I wouldn't call that struggling to get up by viewing your link. Supplements certainly have benefits. In the meantime just give him a rest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Iowa Gold

Thanks again for putting together all of this information. It is so helpful for those of us struggling to find ways to keep our 4 legged friends comfortable. I was aware of most of the things you mentioned, but didn't know the dosages. Thanks again.

Oh, one other thing. What are the adaquan injections?

·
Registered
67 Posts
May I ask if the 5 fish oil capsules has caused any loose stools? I am hesitant to give Kassie too much. Didn't know how this might affect the stools?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks to me like maybe it's your slick floors. I have had to put down throw rugs in certain places in my kitchen because Kassie does struggle to get up off the slick hardwood floors. She has arthritis in her right hip. Your fur-babe is definitely not on the heavy side. That's good. My girl is right at 71 lbs.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
I gave adequate injections to my dog Finn, and they were helpful combined with other things. It is really expensive, and there is a bit of debate if the injections need to be IM. polysulfated glycosaminoglycan is its real name if I spelled it right, and it is a big thing in sport horses. My dog had very painful spine, and I saw a difference. I gave the shots myself- not sure if I think it is a first choice depending.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re-reading all the postings, especially yours, Sara. Thanks so much for all the valuable information and doseages. My girl is about 73 lbs and I have not been giving her near enough fish oil. I love the Dasaquin MS. Going to check into the Adequen injections. My girl doesn't want to put the full weight on her right hind leg. Vet has told me she has osteo-arthritis. Again, appreciate all your hard work.

Charlotte & Kassie Girl

121 - 140 of 150 Posts