Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 4-month golden puppy. We have her from the time she was 11 weeks. We tried the crate training from the second day (not forcefully from the beginning) and she hated it. She hates being alone as well. So for her first week, we worked from home but tried to keep her in her crate or in her pen. AND SHE CRIED...

Then we found a walker which then also helped us with playdates because she had an old lab. which was good. Then the Corona happened and we start WFH. It's like 1 month that we are working from home and we tried our best to teach her to be calm in the crate. because we want her to be calm and safe when we go back + teach her the potty training ...

She hates the crate. We tried everything, the frozen banana on leaking pad, the peanut butter in the Kong, the chowing piece of meat... we tried all the "Zak George" on positive reinforcement training. we always make sure that she is super tired, we gave her treat each she got quite... It's not she doesn't like the crate ... if the door is open she will go there and start playing with her chew toys (because we teach her that some of them are only allowed in the crate) but as soon as we close the door, she will stop whatever she was doing and start crying ... if we are in front of her she will be quiet after 20 mins ... (but we should be there and gives her treat each time she gets quit ). But if we go out she won't stop barking, even if it means that she is alone for 1hr .... (we have a camera and we check on her)

even last night she found a way to open the crate door....

We are super exhausted :'( ... she can not be alone .... she hates the crate. we really need your help, we don't want her to be this miserable

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts
Have you tried music?

My pup isnt thrilled with her crate but has taken to it without much problem. She is in it right now as we are just finishing eating supper.
We started by just putting her in the crate when we came home and needed a break it is under our TV in the living room and I think she believes she is center of attention.

I really hope it gets better for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
I suggest building up the intervals of the time she spends alone slowly. for example if she's in the crate, leave for 5 minutes return before she starts barking and reward. Don't fuss over her too much when you return just calmly reward her. Slowly extend the time, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc to help with her separation anxiety. don't forget she's just a baby! hang in there!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Luna was the same way. She was a perfect little rockstar about going in her crate and sleeping at night because her breeder had started crate training before she came home but she hated the crate if we were home during the day.

We did what Ffcmm suggests but we had to start with 15 seconds at a time because the key is returning and letting them out calmly before they start barking or crying. They need to learn that barking/whining isn't going to get them out and that you are coming back for them when they are calm. We kept slowly building up time each try. Eventually we got to minutes lol.

We also fed all meals in the crate and randomly hid high value treats in there to help her associate the crate with good things. Honestly though her crate training process was really finished by a local training center that offered all day puppy kindergarten classes. I asked them to focus on crate training and they're really the ones that solidified her daytime crate training so I kind of cheated honestly. Unfortunately, that's not an option now so just keep at it and remember that it really is just consistency and repetition and eventually they get it. Hang in there! It gets better.

Edit - also wanted to mention that frozen Kongs are very helpful when you really need 30-45 min. We mixed peanut butter with kibble, filled it with water & froze. I'd prepare 5 kongs at a time so I always had one in the freezer ready to go. If it wasn't frozen she'd be done with it in 5 minutes easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts