Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Sundowners (dementia) relief?

870 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Berna
Hi all.

I have an old dog (not a Golden) who suffers from multiple ailments (blind, mostly deaf, congestive heart failure) and dementia. Lately he has been having sundowners symptoms, including restlessness and anxiety at night. I'd like to alleviate his symptoms as much as possible with something over the counter.

Theresa doesn't want to take him to the vet, fearing that with all his problems the next trip to the vet will be his last. So we want to do what we can over the counter.

Do any of you have experience with this? Did you find something that helped? If so, what?

Thanks,
Dana

P.S. here is a photo of the dog in question....and a Golden. :D

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
472 Posts
Yes that does sound like a canine version of sundowners. If you do not want to go the pharmaceutical route possibly try massage and/or CBD ? For me I used gabapentin or tramadol when they got in this state because I associated it ( the restlessness) with pain. Either way it worked, everybody got their rest at night. Good luck

· Super Moderator
3,454 Posts
Strongly recommend a prescription or over the counter bright minds formula

edit: here are some papers

· Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
+1 for Bright Minds

If you do end up considering a vet appt, ask for Selegine. It’s a prescription medication meant to help with cognitive decline. I know a handful of people with senior dogs who have benefitted from it

· Registered
146 Posts
I would take the dog to a vet anyway. No doctor can force you to put a dog down and they could have medications that would help. If your vet would insist on it, find another one. If you see a vet that is able to dispense herbal remedies, you can experiment with different treatments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts