Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
201 - 220 of 273 Posts

· Registered
1,398 Posts
FYI the puppies have moved to a bigger apartment again. And this time we added an adventure box. At the moment, they are having a blast exploring their new digs. :)

Love the "bigger apartment" activity center,
this should be required "watching" for all prospective puppy parents,
Imagine all the puppies but one are gone, and YOU are the replacement for the rest of the litter mates !!! we must be less then satisfying replacement for all the lovely wiggly tails and legs to nibble on. :)

· Registered
14,321 Posts
Loved the answer about the older dogs and the pups. Your story about Funcle Deuce made me smile. Shala's aunt loved her sister's puppies, too. One of my favourite photos was of her lying in the box with the baby pups (and their mum) with a big proud smile on her face, as if to say, look at my pups! It's nice that Summer is so good about letting everyone share the love, too. Sounds like such a nice gang.

· Registered
Coco, Labrador Retriever
44 Posts
Though I am not going to get any of them - this is not stopping me watching the live cam almost everyday, it become a kind of addiction. Thanks for sharing so much information about their first few weeks - learning a lot. The Jailbreak video was awesome !!!

· Esquire Golden Retrievers
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Someone criticized me for posting everything about our current litter on social media. This is my response.

We are fairly new breeders, having done this seriously for only about 11 years (yes, that's considered new). Being open is important to us. We don't hide things in our breeding program. We think openness is an honorable trait that more old-school breeders should have. We think presenting all our trials, tribulations, successes and failures on social media only helps us develop a reputation as conscientious, caring, ethical breeders. Whatever is there, is there. Nothing hidden. It's the social media age, and we do it because we can.

We could spend 30 years closely guarding our experiences and letting folks see only what we wat them to, or we can do everything in the light of day, for all to see. We prefer the latter, come what may.

It's a new age, so we are doing certain things in new ways. And we are big believers in openness.

Also, we all benefit when puppy buyers and others see all the work, stress, heartache, love and joy goes into the ethical breeding of dogs. There are so many misconceptions out there, particularly in the PETA animal rights community, and I can't tell you how many folks have said they learned so much from our openness.

So that's it. I get that you do it differently. We don't get a say in how you do it, so you don't get a say in how we do.

· Registered
963 Posts
You will always have the negative people that just troll social media just looking to stir the pot. I am sure I can speak for all of us here that we all very much appreciate all you do for the forum and that you take all the time to share with us your experiences. Anyone would be lucky to get a puppy from you

5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Thank you for your openness. What on earth is wrong with it? How can any one see anything wrong in it.
What I was told is that other breeders and show competitors can be pretty terrible people sometimes. There is a lot of backstabbing in the Golden world, where people smile and pretend to be your friend, but work to destroy you behind your back. And if a breeder or show competitor finds anything in your breeding program that they can use against you to harm your reputation, standing, or competitive ability, they will do so. And it can have permanent, lasting effects.

Certainly, it's true that there is a tremendous amount of hostility in the Golden world, just beneath the surface. There is a thin veneer of camaraderie, with many people who profess to be your friend standing ready to slander and defame you whenever and however they can. It often occurs in whisper campaigns, taking place in-person or by phone -- rarely in writing, unless it's anonymous -- where someone will use any negative thing they can discover, twist, or even fabricate, in order to create a chain of condemnation that harms you. It's never done publicly. Usually, the person who is being trashed never even hears about it.

And, in fact, this is true. It is a thing. So I don't discount that. I just figure life is too short to worry about it, and openness will eventually overwhelm whispered (false or twisted) judgments. OTOH, maybe I'm naive. We can all easily observe how effective a sustained campaign of lies can be in these mean and tribal times. So maybe openness is disadvantageous and renders me more susceptible to destructive judgments, but I don't care. I've reached a point in my life where living openly and honestly is simply an ethic for me; something that I feel is best for me to do in my life, regardless of the consequences.

So I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing. I feel like, if you don't care what people say about you, it's hard to feel harmed, even if there is some harm going on. And I don't care what people say.

I just wanted to respond openly to the criticisms I've received privately, in what felt very much like concern trolling. And now I have. :) So now I can go back to rearing my puppies and loving my dogs, and put this nonsense away. For me, openness is the way to go.

· Registered
Coco, Labrador Retriever
44 Posts
What I was told is that other breeders and show competitors can be pretty terrible people sometimes. There is a lot of backstabbing in the Golden world, where people smile and pretend to be your friend, but work to destroy you behind your back. And if a breeder or show competitor finds anything in your breeding program that they can use against you to harm your reputation, standing, or competitive ability, they will do so. And it can have permanent, lasting effects.

Certainly, it's true that there is a tremendous amount of hostility in the Golden world, just beneath the surface. There is a thin veneer of camaraderie, with many people who profess to be your friend standing ready to slander and defame you whenever and however they can. It often occurs in whisper campaigns, taking place in-person or by phone -- rarely in writing, unless it's anonymous -- where someone will use any negative thing they can discover, twist, or even fabricate, in order to create a chain of condemnation that harms you. It's never done publicly. Usually, the person who is being trashed never even hears about it.

And, in fact, this is true. It is a thing. So I don't discount that. I just figure life is too short to worry about it, and openness will eventually overwhelm whispered (false or twisted) judgments. OTOH, maybe I'm naive. We can all easily observe how effective a sustained campaign of lies can be in these mean and tribal times. So maybe openness is disadvantageous and renders me more susceptible to destructive judgments, but I don't care. I've reached a point in my life where living openly and honestly is simply an ethic for me; something that I feel is best for me to do in my life, regardless of the consequences.

So I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing. I feel like, if you don't care what people say about you, it's hard to feel harmed, even if there is some harm going on. And I don't care what people say.

I just wanted to respond openly to the criticisms I've received privately, in what felt very much like concern trolling. And now I have. :) So now I can go back to rearing my puppies and loving my dogs, and put this nonsense away. For me, openness is the way to go.
I can sense from your posts, how much were you hurt. It is unfortunate, but it happens in all fields. Be proud that you are following your ethics & core values and take such destructive criticisms as indicator of your success (the more successful people usually get more such things). Keep up the good work - it is really helping the larger community.

5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
I can sense from your posts, how much were you hurt. It is unfortunate, but it happens in all fields. Be proud that you are following your ethics & core values and take such destructive criticisms as indicator of your success (the more successful people usually get more such things). Keep up the good work - it is really helping the larger community.
That's very kind. Thank you.

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
972 Posts
I'm really surprised at all this backlash you're getting @DanaRuns. That's a pity people feel this way to find faults with ethical breeders... Sounds like a bunch of egocentric research scientists backstabbing to be lead/principal author in a scientific paper in a fancy publication 🤦🏽‍♀️

Our team has bounced back mentally after the lost of our coworker thanks to this puppy cam because we could talk about it at work and feel better. It was a huge service you inadvertently did for us! Please don't forget this! 🙏🏽 I hope there's more supportive breeders in the community supporting what you have shared with us mere mortals so far..

· Registered
533 Posts
I check in to watch the puppies 5 or 6 times a day and they always make me smile. I don’t know if it’s just the times I’ve watched but the top of the slide seems to be a favorite place to be! Love the way they move, leaping and prancing, and tumbling all over each other and playthings in the pen. I can’t see the colors of their collars too well but there are a couple of firecrackers who seem to enjoy pouncing on and chasing their siblings. There is a quiet one too (at least when I jump on to watch) who seems to like to observe and be on the edge of the chaos of playtime - I always find myself looking for him/her ❤
I so enjoy seeing the puppies, thank you for the uplift in my day!

· Registered
365 Posts
The puppy cam is a must-check in our house right now :) Last night they were ON FIRE; 3 were wrestling over a chainlink toy (note that there was a 2nd lying ignored by the trio), the same 3 were playing bitey-face/tail/any body part through the triangle toy with carpet (so much funnier than I'm describing) and trying to wake their sleeping siblings, who ignored them. We watched for 15 minutes before it was time to get the kids to bed. Our favorite though, was the red puppy who fell asleep on top of the slide...so adorable! We love their antics! THANK YOU for sharing them with us <3

· Registered
66 Posts
We 💜 puppy cam too! I'll be so sad when they all go to their new homes and we can't watch them anymore. (Easy for me to say since I'm not doing any of the work!)

Dana, I'm so sad (and surprised) to hear that you are getting criticized for running the puppy cam and sharing the pups' early weeks with us. I could not disagree more. I think this is such an amazing public service you are doing -- the puppy cam itself, plus your posts about all the things you are doing to care for them and give them the best possible start in life, and your willingness to answer questions. As well as the stress relief, laughter, and joy of watching these amazing fluffballs grow up, it's just been so informative. I'd never seen such tiny puppies before. And I've learned so much about whelping, breeding, puppy growth & development, and all the love, care, knowledge, & attention that it takes to do this right. My kids have, too. I have enjoyed this thread and puppy cam so much that I even went back and read through your puppy threads from Kiva and Khaleesi's litters, which were before I joined GRF!

I hope the naysayers don't get to you. This is amazing. Please have many more litters and allow us all in to share them with you!

5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
Puppy cam is back up!

All the puppies are back from the vet, and are healthy and normal. They've been vaxxed and microchipped. (Personally, I wouldn't have done the vax as our nomograph says to vax at 9 and 12 weeks, but that wasn't my decision.) And they frolicked around the property for an hour or so after getting home. Now they're back in their pen, and I hope they sleep.

Boy are they active now. I think I'll give all the puppy buyers this meme to explain what it is they are getting.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Companion dog

201 - 220 of 273 Posts