Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i contacted a reputable organization here in NYC and theyre doing an initial evaluation on our boy. My hope is that he can help a young kid or an elderly person (im a special ed teacher and would love to have Sully help a child or remind an elderly person of their dog!) plus he needs a job. He seems so happy when hes "working"! heres a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's great that an organization is evaluating him. However, I'm quite surprised since he looks like a puppy.

How old is he? Delta Society which is probably the most respected Therapy Dog Organization (including Animal Assisted Therapy) will not register a dog until they have passed their evaluation and they must be one
1 year old to take the test. In fact, here in Illinois no Therapy Group will evaluate any dog until they are 1 year old and several want a dog to be 2 years old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also thought that he was too young, but after the initial evaluation, the instructor thought he had the temperment and patience for such a young pup. It called the Good Dog Foundation and its based in NYC. Its got a great reputation and its well respected in the tri state area for having dogs in the local hospitals and elderly homes. He has to get recertified every year afterward, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts