Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to retrievers, we've been searching the internet and asking friends about suitable games for our 10 week old pup, which has actually led to confusion. We tried playing ball, but someone told us that teaching them to chase / catch a tennis ball is dangerous as there are many cases that they can be swallowed and get stuck in their throats... an emergency situation requiring the prompt attention of a vet. The other toy we got was a tug of war rope, which he enjoys, but further advice has been that this puts the pup in an adversarial state with you, which should be avoided, and you need to make sure you win or he will think he's the pack leader... also a good reason to avoid. Seems like the games he likes always have some unwanted side-effect. Any advice on suitable and fun games?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Place treats around for him to find. I haven't had any issues with tennis balls. Tug of war maybe wait till older I have had issues with that. Bubble machines my dog will play with that for hours. Cupcake tin with treats in the bottom with balls covering holes. With any tennis balls make sure it isn't to small and you should be ok. Training games there are a lot on YouTube.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
Bailey's trainer suggested putting treats inside an egg carton (cardboard, not plastic or styrofoam) and letting Bailey destroy it to get his treats. We are working on "this is okay to demolish" and "this is not okay to shred."

We do a lot of tug, and I throw the tug for Bailey to retrieve. It hasn't led to a dominance issue; in fact, if I let go of the tug, he bumps my leg with the tug rope in his mouth till I pick it up and play again.

A great game that we all love at our house is "Where's Mom?" (or whomever) One person distracts Bailey while the other one hides, and then says, "Where's Mom?" or "Find Mom." Bailey runs around till he finds the hiding person. When he was super little, we played this game as "Get Mom," and the second person would stay within view while the first person held his leash... then he would run across the yard to the second person. It encouraged him to run a lot.

Bailey also loves his 6" jolly ball, which is a hard plastic ball with a second ball inside. He retrieves it, plays tug with it, and plays doggy soccer with it. If your dog chews on the edges of it and sticks his nose in, he could cut himself, so you have to watch it for signs of wear.

Puppy playdates are at the top of the play food chain, of course -- a 20 minute playdate wears Bailey out more than an hour of playing with me in the backyard. :)

Good luck as you find the games your puppy loves to play!

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
We don't play with balls more to avoid any ball aggression issues. Didn't have any dominance/aggression issues with tug but who knew someone half your weight could be so strong. Find it is a great game. People, toys, etc. Muffin tins with treats as been mentioned which is funny to see how they get at the treats. Teaching left & right using kongs for them to chase after. Hide behind tree or something and then call their name or teach come is fun. At that age anything you do to interact with them is fun for them.

·
regspeir
63 Posts
The biggest mistake I made with previous Goldens (expecting my 4th soon) is not having fun with toys more. All my goldens loved balls and tug. I stuck with balls but didn't with tug - mistake! Yes, you need rules and limits but both are so much fun with Goldens and such great rewards for obedience later, thereby eliminating the dependence on food rewards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You will find goldens will want to 'fetch' just about anything, balls are convenient because they travel a long way. You could try a Frisbee. Trust me they will find and use just about anything for you to throw or play tug with. There are also many rope/ball combination toys. The hide n seek games are fun, and Dora will drop a ball just to play that. Also the larger 'soccer' size balls and bubbles are also fun. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts