Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :wave:

I tend not to post a lot or as a lot of questions here because i can usually just search around this site and get the answers i was looking for! But i'm just curious. We've had Cooper since he was 12 weeks and we were planning on taking him to puppy training and everything but after we waited for all his shots and we found out that we may be moving and i didn't want to have stop in the middle of his training and move to start all over (maybe we should have). SO we are in RI now and will be here for 6 months...then we move again... lol (gotta love the military)

Anyways...i'm just wondering what kind of training (or where i should go to get training) you guys suggest. I was trying to take Cooper for a walk today when he tried to go visit a lady and her granddaugher at the playground. Usually i can get him to sit just long enough to refocus him to continue walking but this lady came up to me saying that i should never do anything that i can't guarantee he will do and then she continued to let him jump on her and pet him even though i was trying to stop him. She then informs me that she trains dogs (and did i know that he's not a true golden?...you can tell...did you see his parents?...did you get him from a breeder? ) Well truth be told I love my dog whether he was pure breed or not he's golden enough for me! Then she says that if i wanted i could go back to my house and get some high value treats and she'll show me how to train him ( i should have just said no thank you since i was already put off :doh: but i said ok :doh: :doh: :doh:) So i come back and she does her thing (basically continuous feeding) and i don't know i'm just not so fond of if...
Maybe i'm too much of a newbie on the subject. But afterward all i wanted to do was take my dog on a nice long walk and give us both some daily exercise but he was not interested in walking whatsoever all he wanted was to go back to the park and get more food...so the morning walk was wasted...I guess i'm just frustrated.

So...all in all...what do you all suggest for training and what has worked well for you? ( i was informed by this lady that training from Petsmart and Petco was worthless and they don't know what they are talking about)

Thank you in advance for your information! :wavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
There are a lot of great trainers here that can offer you some advice.. bumping up one of them sees this!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I would highly suggest finding a good training facility near you that specializes in positive methods. Goldens (from the pic, that's either a full Golden with short hair or a Golden/Lab mix, but who cares?) don't tend to do well in harsh training environments.

Some of the early training in positive, treat-based methods does kinda look like continuous feeding, so the lady may not have been all that off-base, but letting him jump on her when you were trying to stop him was certainly bad manners on her part.

Finding a good trainer and facility is invaluable, both for your dog's manners and habits and for your understanding of how to communicate well and happily together. It's pretty amazing how your relationship deepens when you have that back and forth. I put a lot of effort into reading and researching dogs and training, and I've had a lot of experience working with dogs, but starting up regularly with my local training center and some not-so-local agility trainers made things jump exponentially for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, I woulden't go back to this "lady" for training. Acosting someone in the park on a walk is not a way to recruit clients. Also I disagree about generalized statements that all petco or petsmart trainer are bad. Like any chain store you will find a range from back to great so take them on a store by store basis rather than relying on generaliztions.

As far as what you should do for training what are your goals?

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
I believe training methods vary from dog to dog so try and evaluate your dogs necessary style. For instance one of my dogs needs more leash corrections and firmer training while my last dog only needed the clicker and some treats. I tend to move away from treats as the dog moves past the 3-6 month mark and use praise or fetch or tug. My boy now doesn't get any treats during our FORMAL training sessions but when I am just hanging and want him to do some stuff he knows I use treats. Do what feels right. If you don't like what the trainer is doing don't do it. Find someone else. The best thing is to find a trainer that fits your training theory and work with them.....

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I think training is important, if nothing else for the socialization of a puppy - many breeders require it.

Look for classes in your area that you can go watch, and that use both positive methods as well as corrections when needed - avoid extremes on either end. Not that I'm against clickers and positive training, I use clickers, food, toys and praise with training all the time, however there is a time and place for a correction, be it a pop on the leash or a 'no'. My border collie's temperment issues started and were not helped by the positive training camp - he's a dog that needed/needs a correction from time to time.

I would never allow someone else to take my dog to work unless I knew what they were going to do before hand.

Lana

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies i'll be looking into what i can find for training facilities in my area this weekend...as for training...being that i am so new to everything...i just want to begin the process i guess basic training for now and see where we can go...i would love to have Cooper be a therapy dog but i don't know if i'm too late for that process or what it all entails...yes i have a lot of researching to do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts