Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old puppy who it seems has a sensitive stomach. She was on Purina Smart Blend from breeder until up to 4 months. She was constantly having loose stools and BAD gas so we switched her to Wellness Large Breed Puppy. Her stools seem inconsistent; some very good, others VERY loose. We transitioned over 2 weeks and her gas went away so we thought we were on a good road. However, because of this inconsistancy we are worries she has a chicken sensitivity. When we put her on the bland Science Diet ID gastronomical wet food she does extrememly well. Does anyone have a recommendation for food that is more simple and does not contain chicken or byproducts. We don't even know if this is an issue for her, our vet recommended her being on bland for a week and then try starting her again on Wellness. Any suggestions?

**she just tested negative for parasites and giardia, so we can rule that out

·
Registered
12,985 Posts
I know a lot of people here have had good experiences with Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach. It is salmon based. No chicken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

So far so good as we finally have success after weeks of her uneasy tummy issues. Our vet actually recommend Taste of the Wilde puppy. I was a little hesitant at first because it was Bison and Venison and no grains but with a very slow transition she started to get better and better. She has been solid now for almost two weeks and hoping it stays this way! She LOVES the taste of it, it seems to give her very regular and SOLID movements. I would recommend this , it seems like she has a chicken sensitivity and we needed more options.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
I was talking to a pet nutritionist yesterday by accident as we switched from chicken to lamb (proplan) due to ear infections/allergy concerns and she mentioned that sometimes it's not even the chicken. it's the fact that the lamb has about 3% higher fat content than chicken and that is enough to balance out their body chemistry needs. Never had stool issues though. Lots of the guide dogs use Sensitive Stomache and the dogs are great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have a pup with sensitive stomach. She is doing well with taste of the wild as well. She loves the dry and can food, I also add some freshly boiled veggie and boiled fish to her diet. She loves it.

K

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am assuming you found a good food match for your baby by now but just wanted to shout out to Wellness Simple. So far it has been awesome for us for over year or two!!!! His skin has never been better and it's been so long since the tummy-trouble days I have minimal memories of stress :) We use lamb and oats (used to be rice but they changed it). I will say I did use the Salmon but he still had mild symptoms with it. Nothing has helped as much as Lamb. Makes sense since he's a delicate lambchop himself ;)! Also, I was always told not to feed large breed kibble as that is more for your Great Dane Saint Bernard and the like types.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Go grain free, lots of good ones already recommended. But transition her to the new food very slowly, over two weeks or more. Give her time to transition and you can expect a little diarrhea during the transition, if you see it, back off on the quantity of new food you are give her.

Good Luck

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
Kiner will be 4 months next week and we put him on grain free/ taste of the wild salmon puppy` i also found grain free treats. i add greek yogurt/ sram egg /coconut oil (the BEST) and occasionally peanut butter- he is doing wonderful- when we got him from breeder he had sores on his body from sleeping in hay- 100 % clear now. Good Luck to You!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,
My puppy is now almost a year now! Time goes by so fast. We actually tried two more types of food until we found the right one. At first we had her on taste of the wild puppy venison and bison, which she did better on than blue buffalo wilderness or purina one. She was still having some random episodes and it was really bothering us so we spoke with our vet and actually switched her to taste of the wild adult lamb which IS 100% PERFECT for HER. We think the puppy food was too rich for her and the vet said some dogs can transition earlier. Now she has been on TOTW for maybe 4-5 months? and cross your fingers hasn't had ONE episode. This as you can tell saved our sanity. I think going grain free was a big big help to any dogs with sensitive tummies.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Cassie had some gastrointestinal issues (gas, diarrhea) when she was that age. As it turns out, I'm pretty sure the issues were caused by the flea/tick/heartworm prevention she was on.

We did try the food switch-up though. Settled on TOTW Pacific Stream, of which she did well on, but wasn't enthusiastic about. She's now on Fromm 4-star fish & potato, which she does great on, and loves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts