Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears Kona's chewing (mostly NylaBones) is having an affect on her upper molars. We've tried giving her "other things" to chew, but she, essentially, just eats them (or, destroys them, within minutes, to a point where we feel a need to remove the item to prevent her from choking on pieces).

Is there anything not-as-hard as NylaBones that will let Kona "get her chew on" that we won't have to monitor-like-a-hawk?

Or, is there anything that can be done to help re-build enamel on her molars?

·
Kate
22,745 Posts
Basically the quandary that all dog owners have =

Give their dogs things that they can't eat/choke on like nylabones or antlers, but anything that is too hard for the teeth to break down will break down the teeth.

Give their dogs chewable/edible things but have some risk of blockage or choking.

I'll say that I just spent an easy $200 at the store buying bully sticks and edible bones ($12 each). These are a little more digestible but kinda more expensive. The bully sticks especially help keep the teeth clean. No help with the enamel, sorry. I hope you caught this before any serious damage to her teeth. We had a dog who used to "herd rocks" - he had chipped and broken teeth from that...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Someone posted a video of a vet dentist saying raw knuckle bones were safest for teeth, but they are sort of bloody and messy. I got Rukie these
I scraped a lot of the fat off them before I gave them and started him out in the grass or on a towel for short periods of time because they are greasy.

·
Super Moderator
2,465 Posts
My dog’s favourite options are bully sticks & large cow ears (the unbleached kind). You have to get them big and thick enough so that they are forced to chew it longer.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,132 Posts
I got a Redbarn knuckle bone for my guy, he broke some pieces off.
Threw it away and never bought them again.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Rukie ate the pieces that broke off without any problems but I guess a raw one might not break up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Someone posted a video of a vet dentist saying raw knuckle bones were safest for teeth, but they are sort of bloody and messy. I got Rukie these
I scraped a lot of the fat off them before I gave them and started him out in the grass or on a towel for short periods of time because they are greasy.
if raw, do they arrive frozen or what?

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
I got Eevee a couple of toys from Westpaw to replace her Benebones. We have had luck with them so far. I have also heard good things about Gough Nuts - even the heaviest chewer I know (not my dog) has trouble tearing them up. Plus, they will replace for free if the dog does tear one up.

Reactions: goldy1

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
if raw, do they arrive frozen or what?
I think you have to purchase the raw ones locally at a pet store and they are frozen. The ones I got from Chewy were baked. I looked at raw ones in the store once and they were too bloody and messy looking for me to want in the house.

Reactions: jopalis

·
Registered
488 Posts
After our girl cracked a tooth on a Benebone, we took our vet's advice to only give her toys you can dig a fingernail into. Here's her new collection:
  • Westpaw has a new line called Seaflex made out of plastic cleaned out of the ocean - Ella loves her Snorkl
  • Westpaw Zogoflex toys - we have most of them. Ella's favorite are the Bumi and the Tizzi
  • Orbee ball
  • JW Holee roller
  • Starmark Pickle
  • Starmark treat ball
  • JW rubber toy that looks like a DNA strand
  • Kong tire
  • Kong Squeezz Dumbbell, Kong rubber long stick - she doesn't chew on these hard as much as carry it around

For chews we like the purina dental chews and the Ocean chews

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My boys - both heavy chewers - like the Westpaw Zwig and Bumi best. They are very rough on chew toys and they like these both for chewing and tug. These have lasted and get used A LOT. I also have the Goughnuts which are very tough but they are too heavy. My boys appear not to like the "mouth feel" of the Goughnuts because they just are ignored.

For digestible chewing, I go with Bully Sticks - minimum 12 inches long and use the Bully Grip Holder. I like Mickey's Pet Supplies - large selection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My boys - both heavy chewers - like the Westpaw Zwig and Bumi best. They are very rough on chew toys and they like these both for chewing and tug. These have lasted and get used A LOT. I also have the Goughnuts which are very tough but they are too heavy. My boys appear not to like the "mouth feel" of the Goughnuts because they just are ignored.

For digestible chewing, I go with Bully Sticks - minimum 12 inches long and use the Bully Grip Holder. I like Mickey's Pet Supplies - large selection.
Ordered a 12" bully stick. Need holder??

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ordered a 12" bully stick. Need holder??
This is the holder I use for my boys:
Bully Grip Bully Stick Holder. I still only allow them to chew under supervision.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Archie is a chewing maniac, so I've probably spent hundreds of dollars on "toys" in the 6-months we've had him. I finally found Monster K9 Dog Toys. Though they are a bit pricey, they have a lifetime replacement guarantee! Here's the link if you want to check them out.
P.S. His 2 favorites are the Ringball and the Boomerang.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is the holder I use for my boys:
Bully Grip Bully Stick Holder. I still only allow them to chew under supervision.

Why only under supervision? I wanted to use in crate when I go out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Why only under supervision? I wanted to use in crate when I go out. Thanks.
I only allow Filled Kongs without supervision. Even with a bully stick holder, they could work it out of the holder. Then what's left of the bully stick can be swallowed when it is too big and not sufficiently soft - causing choking.
I am overly cautious but based on experiences over the years.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Coffee wood sticks. They don’t splinter like wood found on walks. So no bits/splinters in gums.
E.g. goodWood Chewable Wood Stick For Dogs - Small : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
I’d go medium or large. XL was ridiculous more suited to a very large German shepherd.
The Coffee Wood Chews - also called Java Wood - are definitely better than sticks outside. But I had a java wood chew splinter while my boy was chewing. He was in the room with me and I heard a "crack" and pulled a sharp splintered piece out of his mouth. He was only about a year old. It may have been a defective chew. I reported it to the company - they sent a replacement - as well as the local store where I bought it. Generally, chewing the java wood just results is small shavings on the floor. Always supervise chewing these because there is the possibility of cracking and splintering.
Ingredient Wood Cuisine Font Dish

1 - 19 of 19 Posts