Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Love my Goldens!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting a litter of puppies at the end of July and this is my first time whelping. We bought an enormous Durawhelp box for my female and I was hoping to get some suggestions for bedding. What stages should I change the type of bedding (ie-whelping bedding then puppy potty bedding)? I know that loose blankets are a concern due to puppies slipping under and getting "lost." What type of material is best for keeping them warm and sanitary? (I was thinking about buying material, fitting it to box, and velcroing it down). Any information will be helpful, thanks!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Fabric will get filthy and smelly very quickly.

Newspaper and wood type shavings your best bet overall.

I would get a few books on th topic and start reading.

Reactions: AmandaN

·
Registered
2 Posts
whelping bedding

I went to a local newspaper office and purchased the end rolls of newspaper. It is not printed, so puppies don't get gray paws. It's inexpensive and easy to use. I put plastic tarp under the paper- had a couple so they could be changed and cleaned often.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I use newspaper during whelping, and towels. Once the puppies are born and everyone is resting and nursing, I switch to fleece pads and blankets (fitted under walls of the whelping box). I prefer the big fleece pads. It's a lot of laundry, but I think it is important to provide good traction for the puppies, so they can easily push and crawl around.

The big fleece pads are great, because urine wicks through them and down to the papers underneath. A lot of the whelping box places sell them or you might be able to make you own. The fleece I found at the sewing stores was too thin to work very well.

I usually introduce the litter box around 3 weeks of age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts