Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Suggested bones or strong chews?

1115 Views 28 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GoldenRetieverL0ver08
My golden is almost a year and a half old. She was brought home with a water buffalo bone, which i didnt allow her to have until 6 months old. I would give her frozen carrots and she had a few nylabones. One she loved and destroyed and she didnt like the others and i wasnt able to find the same nylabone again. I also gave her a chew the vet gave is i dont remember what it was. She is on her fourth water buffalo bone now and she has no intrest in this one. Ive hearf of himilayan yak chew are they good or bad(ive heard they have cheese and milk)? Ive also heard split antlers are good as long as the dog is supervised. Also bully sticks good or bad? Thanks in advance!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Ok, thanks i haven't tried that! We give her raw treats and another treat. But she thinks any raw food or human food is a reward, even lettuce.馃ぃ
Whatever treat you give her, I would recommend ONLY giving that treat when she's on place-- if you give it when training other things the treat loses some of it's value

Registered
Golden Retriever
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Whatever treat you give her, I would recommend ONLY giving that treat when she's on place-- if you give it when training other things the treat loses some of it's value
Ok, i have to go get different treats then. I got her to hold it for over 1 hour today with a carrot as a treat. She is still learning and i am trying to make sure she can do sit, stay, lay down, kennel and place for more than one hour each(eventually she would just lay down when she is sitting). Just a question i got her to hold a treat in her mouth for 5 minutes, ive never seen this before in any dogs do this, should i continue letting her do it?

Registered
Holding a treat is a cute party trick-- I'm not sure if there are any "negatives" in terms of training regression or behavior changes but I feel bad making my boys hold or balance treats for more than a couple of seconds :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Golden Retriever
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Holding a treat is a cute party trick-- I'm not sure if there are any "negatives" in terms of training regression or behavior changes but I feel bad making my boys hold or balance treats for more than a couple of seconds :ROFLMAO:
I will continie doing it then. She can hold treats on her nose, and head and now in her mouth. We had told her to eat the treat one time when it was on her nose and we walked outside, came back in and she was still holding it 1 hour later.

Registered
My golden is almost a year and a half old. She was brought home with a water buffalo bone, which i didnt allow her to have until 6 months old. I would give her frozen carrots and she had a few nylabones. One she loved and destroyed and she didnt like the others and i wasnt able to find the same nylabone again. I also gave her a chew the vet gave is i dont remember what it was. She is on her fourth water buffalo bone now and she has no intrest in this one. Ive hearf of himilayan yak chew are they good or bad(ive heard they have cheese and milk)? Ive also heard split antlers are good as long as the dog is supervised. Also bully sticks good or bad? Thanks in advance!
My vet but me on bulky sticks for my golden when he was a puppy. Said it was best treat for chewing. Even if they swallow the last 2 or 3 inch piece it wouldn鈥檛 harm them but try to get it away before they do. I have since found a 鈥渂ulky stick holder鈥 that holds the end and he can chew all the way to about a half an inch. As you know the bully sticks are expensive. He is now 2, I don鈥檛 do bully鈥檚 anymore because he will go through it too quick Newest idea is antlers. But he will chew a little on it and then just let it go. The split elk was better because he could get to the marrow easier. You need to be careful with the antlers because they are hard and can split a tooth.

Registered
Golden Retriever
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My vet but me on bulky sticks for my golden when he was a puppy. Said it was best treat for chewing. Even if they swallow the last 2 or 3 inch piece it wouldn鈥檛 harm them but try to get it away before they do. I have since found a 鈥渂ulky stick holder鈥 that holds the end and he can chew all the way to about a half an inch. As you know the bully sticks are expensive. He is now 2, I don鈥檛 do bully鈥檚 anymore because he will go through it too quick Newest idea is antlers. But he will chew a little on it and then just let it go. The split elk was better because he could get to the marrow easier. You need to be careful with the antlers because they are hard and can split a tooth.
Thank you! I actually found a store about 1 hour away from me they sell raw, freeze dried, and more feed, bones and treats. They also have a great selection of toys and i will be going there sometime this week. And now i have a new puppy so ill need some for him.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts