Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy just turned 4 months on Saturday and up until a few days ago did pretty good on walks. I haven't been very strict on the leash, letting her pretty much explore everything on our walks and just giving her a tug and verbal "leave it" when she tries to pick up something.

Then suddenly a few days ago she realized that instead of "leaving it", she could simply plant herself wherever she was and refuse to move. It is maddening and nothing but putting a treat a few feet ahead on the sidewalk will get her to move again until she is ready.

Yesterday we couldn't even make it around the block and I ended up carrying her part of the way home when I ran out of treats. At first I was concerned that something was hurting her, but if people/kids/other dogs are in the area she has no problem walking or running to them. I should also mention that she does the exact same thing when it is time to leave Petsmart.

So what should I do? Any ideas? I hate to let this beautiful Iowa winter go to waste!!

Lynne & Lucy

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Most all puppies go thru this stage. Penny would sit, then lay, then flat out on her side and if I wanted to drag her by her neck? Well, okay! She would go completely limp.

I started picking her up by her scruff and butt and putting her back on her feet. That worked until she started biting me. :D

The only thing that worked was a firm voice, a firm command "Come" and "Walk" to let her know I wasn't fooling around. Also when she was on her flex lead, I'd shorten it and get up next to her. That helped. I didn't treat. Her reward was that my voice got nice again.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Its a stage....three weeks from now she will be pulling like a sleddog ;)
Hang in there it will get better...its fine to coax her along...
As Penny's Mom said...sometimes simply putting them back on their feet will get them moving again...sometimes bringing a toy on a rope/string that you play with in front of them will get them moving again...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
In addition to what the other said, one trick that I liked to use was instead of standing in front of Cookie and trying to get her to follow, I'd go off to the side or even slightly behind and usually she'd pop up to see what the heck I was doing. Once she was up and walking, I'd give a treat. Even if you have to back track a few paces, you can turn around and proceed in your earlier direction easy enough. :)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess once did this on a walk in a state park...I was so fed up with it, that I let her lie (she would lie down and act all floppy..) and walked away. Boy, did she run hard to get near to me again! What worked well with Tess, was taking her ball along and throw it.

Added: we use a 50 ft line, so she was still 'on leash', although she probably didn't realize it.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
if you have a really long line and can safely wander off and even hide a bit...sometimes the being left alone will spur them along as well as help them remember to keep checking in with you..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Its a stage....three weeks from now she will be pulling like a sleddog ;)
QUOTE]

Oh, please don't tell me this. I've finally mostly fixed the sleddog part and only have the stubborn dog part left. If he starts up the sleddog thing again, well, arg.

Casper is also a master of not going anywhere. A couple of nights ago I wasn't quite sure how I was going to get him in the house from the front yard. I also wondered how long it would take before my husband noticed I hadn't come back from a 20-minute walk after dark and open the door and look for us.

I had some success on this last week by doing a lot of "let's go" training with click/treat. I would do the "let's go", click, treat. Stop. Repeat. So that he wasn't spending time thinking about whether he wanted to "let's go" or not. Didn't work on it much this week, and he's stalling again.

I also worked on "go play" (learned this in dog class) to give him permission to wander a little bit away from me. On a good day, I can say "go play", he wanders into a yard and rolls over, shakes, I say "let's go" and he moves. On a good day being key.

One other thing. I save the very last treat for the front door. He doesn't get that one until he sits at the door.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Oh, I remember these days with my now 4.5 year old Golden. First thing, it will not last long. Within a month Lucy will probably forever love walks.

I always carried a ball on a walk and if the breaks kicked in I threw a ball and ran with him to get it and off we went for the rest of the walk. I also changed routes frequently because new sites etc. usually keep them going.

If it's possible to take walks with an older dog it also helps. I haven't experienced the issue (well, not yet) with my 14 week old because I only take him on walk with my older one.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
What's worked best for me with Tucker when he wants to get slow or uncooperative :doh: is to shorten the leash so he's right by my side and the collar is up high on his neck. Then I start walking briskly and he starts, too. It's sort of a forced march, but it works. :) After about a block of that he realizes I'm not messing around and then I let him on a loose leash again...until the next time! :eek:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I don't know for you if it will quit or not but it hasn't for Penny. When she's done, she's DONE!! And we go back home. With some things, I let her decide. ;)

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
It is a Phase, but...

I went throught the same thing at about the same age with Maisie. Two things worked -- one was circling behind her, moving parallel with her, giving her a small leash pop and saying, "Let's go!" The other was already mentioned -- keeping the leash short, holding it by my side like I was carrying a shopping bag and moving along at a good pace. It didn't give her time to wander or sniff which was a shame, but she outgrew the problem in 2 or 3 weeks and now walks pretty calmly (except when we're headed to the dog park when I'm still working on her pulling!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts