Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got Duke home from the hospital this morning after 4 days being treated for aspiration pneumonia. He's seems so much better, happier and is eating well (chicken and rice with some beef flavored baby food). Just as we were about to feed him first meal home he got up to go to the kitchen and a quarter-size piece of firm stool fell out of him. After eating he went to outside and did #2 normally. We didn't think anything about the earlier little drop, but then 30 minutes later I was helping him on the couch and his backend had even more stool that covered my hand. The stool is firm, but quite gummy/sticky in consistency. I gave him a bath and cleaned him up nice. Less than an hour later he got up to turn around and there was more stool. This pattern has continued, in smaller amounts, for the day.

I've talked to his vet and she doesn't think it related to the aspiration pneumonia and may be related to his change in diet - the food at the hospital is totally different than what we feed at home. Nevertheless, it doesn't explain him going seemingly without knowing he went #2.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
Outside of your Vet saying it could be related to the current diet he's eating, did she say anything else or have any advice for you?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing except of it hasn’t resolved overnight bring him in for further exam. It’s so frustrating. Monday, get a clean bill of health from CT scan. Tuesday, hospitalized for 4 nights for aspiration pneumonia. Today, finally get him home and now this. We are so frustrated. And angry.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
Your boy was on antibiotics, is he still on them?
A side of effect of antibiotics often times is soft or loose stools, depending on the medication.

Try to relax for both of your sake's, he can pick up on your stress.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
What a marathon and how difficult I know it must be. I understand your frustration and anger, Hard to offer advice but it certainly sounds like you are doing what you can to stay on top of his evolving problems. Could very well be the change in diet or simply the stress of all that he has been through on his system. Please keep us informed of the results of your visit to the vet. My only suggestion is to take him to the vet for a recheck, even if his current issue resolves, if only for your peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, he was IV antibiotics for 3 days and transitioned to oral yesterday. I know oral antibiotics can cause gastro problems but I don’t understand the stool leakage while he’s lying down and sleeping. He doesn’t seem to know it’s happening.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
It may be nothing more than a combination of everything he's been through or it could be something else. Follow your Vet's advice, if he's not better by tomorrow, have him checked again.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
Hmm. I'm wondering (a complete guess) if something about the antibiotics is affecting his bowels. I am sure you are keeping careful track of the symptomatology. What you are reporting/observing is essential for the vet to know.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. I'm wondering (a complete guess) if something about the medication is affecting his sphincter control to the point of where his sensations around holding has been temporarily affected. I am sure you are keeping careful track of the symptomatology. What you are reporting/observing is essential for the vet to know.
They never observed this when he was in the hospital for 4 nights. Literally started happening when we got him home. I keep thinking it’s related to the oral antibiotics but I would have thought it would have stated in the hospital yesterday when they made the transition. I’m certain we’ll be taking him back in tomorrow. For tonight, we’re gonna try diapers and just keep him
clean. Thanks for all your thought and input.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
They never observed this when he was in the hospital for 4 nights. Literally started happening when we got him home. I keep thinking it’s related to the oral antibiotics but I would have thought it would have stated in the hospital yesterday when they made the transition. I’m certain we’ll be taking him back in tomorrow. For tonight, we’re gonna try diapers and just keep him
clean. Thanks for all your thought and input.
Least I can do. Keep in mind that the side effects of medication can be cumulative so you might not have seen this problem in the hospital.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Least I can do. Keep in mind that the side effects of medication can be cumulative so you might not have seen this problem in the hospital.
Good point. We have to give him a small meal with his antibiotic in an hour so we’ll add a probiotic to see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
One word of caution with that plan. Our guy was on oral antibiotics and the vet advised to wait at least two hours between giving antibiotics and probiotics.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
Great that you can reach your vet at this hour. All my hopes for a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
I'm sorry this happened. Try maybe giving some pumpkin. Dogs like it and it doesn't hurt them and can have a positive effect on stool quality. Maybe yogurt too. Ask the vet, they probably have good suggestions.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
My 14 mo pup had suffered through the summer with coccidia and giardia. After several rounds of medications, we could not get his GI tract to function normally--explosive, liquid diarrhea was the norm. Finally went to a vet internist and she recommended Hills Biome (a prescription food). After only two days, he made a miraculous recovery. Been on it for a month, completely normal. I'm going to give it one more bag and then work on transitioning back to PPPSSS. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 14 mo pup had suffered through the summer with coccidia and giardia. After several rounds of medications, we could not get his GI tract to function normally--explosive, liquid diarrhea was the norm. Finally went to a vet internist and she recommended Hills Biome (a prescription food). After only two days, he made a miraculous recovery. Been on it for a month, completely normal. I'm going to give it one more bag and then work on transitioning back to PPPSSS. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for posting. We came to the conclusion that because he was not on his normal food he wasn’t accustom to bowel sensations with softer stool versus the sensations from his higher fiber food. Fortunately after transitioning back to his regular food he stopped having the little accidents. Overall, after the bout with pneumonia and nausea from the antibiotics he’s back to 95% and so much better.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
That's good news. I am so glad to hear he's doing much better. Thanks for the update.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts