Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

A few days ago, my 9 month old golden was playing fetch and out of nowhere started running with both back legs at the same time. While playing fetch he and another dog collided pretty hard and both went tumbling but got right back up and started playing again. I didn't notice if the funny run happened immediately after that so unsure if that was the cause. He has never shown any signs of hip problems (I have read that often the "bunny hop" can be a sign of hip dysplasia, but it was sudden with no other signs his whole life). Upon touching, examining, and moving his legs around he doesn't seem bothered at all. He isn't limping when walking or trotting, just does the strange run when at a full sprint. He is eager to play, stairs don't bother him, isn't stiff when getting up from resting, and seems completely normal otherwise. We are resting him for a few weeks and just doing short walks, no fetch or running. But I feel so paranoid and keep looking for little signs that something big is wrong and feel like I am over analyzing every little thing!

My question is: could it be something minor that just needs rest to heal up? Should I be concerned about dysplasia even though he never showed any other signs? Am I doing the right thing by just resting him for two weeks and seeing how he does after that? This is my first golden and I tend to be a worrier and easily prone to anxiety around his health!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My guys are both hunt trained and whenever they are going out for a retrieve they run with both back legs. My oldest is 9 and we had his hips x-rayed at 7 and they were still OFA Good. They take off from a sit so it’s like being in turbo mode. They normally run back normally. Same thing when they dock dive. I can’t give you a definite answer without seeing it, but when mine are really taking off after something they gallop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I second the vet visit for a check-up and possibly x-rays. If dogs collided it could result in spinal injury and possibly some hip dislocation. Dogs are very stoic and they will do their best not to show they are in any pain or discomfort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts