Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently included Innova into my rotation which includes the Healthwise formulas. I've never seen tysen's stools so hard and small before with other foods, BUT he has started to eat his poop every once in awhile.

Earlier today I saw him smell some of his stool and simply walk away, but just now I caught him with a small piece in his mouth (3rd time in the past 2 weeks I've caught him).

He is 2 1/2 and has never shown the slightest interest in poop until now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just got a puppy 3 weeks ago and she does this, with her own and the cats. Its so frustrating...
I read today that if you feed them pumpkin, garlic, pineapple, or there was a couple other things...it makes it not taste so good after...I started the garlic tonight (because it was on hand & too wet out to go shopping!) so we will see if that helps with hers at all...
I need to get a baby gate for the litter box!

Oh, and Hi and nice to meet everyone! lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Our first golden did this. The Vet recommended "Forbid", a powder that you put on the food. It comes in packets and we used the amount on the directions. She wouldn't touch her food. Cut it in half and she still wouldn't touch it. Sprinkled just a bit on the third time and she finally ate. She stopped eating her stools that very day and we stopped using Forbid withing 3 days. Never had a problem until... we got our new puppy. First week, eating poop. I simply put him on a lead and redirected him when he was done pooping. A week later, he had no further interest in eating poop.

Two methods... same result. I also tried banana's but it didn't help.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My dogs have eaten poop all their lives. I can't stop them which is why I didn't post. The vet gave us some "Forbid" which worked great but it is expensive, and they can't stay on it forever. We tried Adolf's meat tenderizer, etc nothing works other than keeping the yard as clean as we can. It is not a daily thing with my dogs but we just had our first big cold snap (13 degrees yesterday) and my dogs were not coming in from outside. They were loving the "poopsicles" that were in the yard. :doh:

I am thinking about putting them back on Forbid for the winter, once we get the puppy. I am hoping we can stop their behavior and hopefully the puppy won't pick it up.

Sorry no real advice

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
the only way to control this -pick up right away.I have tried Forbid,hot souce......-waste of money.must be something special in fresh poop but i really don't want to know what.LOl

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
the only way to control this -pick up right away.I have tried Forbid,hot souce......-waste of money.
Same with my old golden. And her interest in it was sporadic. But she never was interested in other animal poop. My new lab doesn't give a rip about his own, but some goose poop or horse manure......yummmm.:doh:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I didn't have any advice either which is why I didn't post.

Jasper has been a poop eater, on and off, since he was a puppy. I just tell him to leave it and he does. He doesn't do it up at the lake, though. I guess because he has too many other things to do. He also doesn't eat deer or goose poop. Danny and Jasmine do, but they don't recycle their own poop.

My old girl Tess was a poop eater, too. I tried everything that was suggested and none of them worked for her. Fortunately with Tess and Jasper, they only eat their own. I have heard horror stories of dogs following the other dogs around the yard and waiting for the poop to fall. My dogs only do that with the cat. LOL

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Mine only eat poopsicles )when it's frozen) and each other's!They won't eat their own!
I have tried everything except the expensive thing someone mentioned. We just try to keep it picked up.
Nothing is more gross than a poop burp in your face! It is the only time Selka has funky gas.. no wonder!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Mine only eat poopsicles (when it's frozen) and each other's!They won't eat their own!
I have tried everything except the expensive thing someone mentioned. We just try to keep it picked up.
Nothing is more gross than a poop burp in your face! It is the only time Selka has funky gas.. no wonder!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine only eat poopsicles (when it's frozen) and each other's!They won't eat their own!
I think this may be Tysen's problem...the few times I've caught him he has been chewing on it like stick...not necessarily to eat it because it tastes good I think.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker does not eat poop so I do not have any words of advice. But does anyone else think it could be linked to the recent addition of Innova to his diet? My understanding is that poop eating is partially due to the smell of undigested protein in their stool. Perhaps Tysen is not digesting the Innova well?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tucker does not eat poop so I do not have any words of advice. But does anyone else think it could be linked to the recent addition of Innova to his diet? My understanding is that poop eating is partially due to the smell of undigested protein in their stool. Perhaps Tysen is not digesting the Innova well?
I thought this at first, but his digestion seems to be the best it has been looking at other factors. He has no gas, his stools are the smallest and hardest I've ever seen, and he is pooping 1 or 2 times a day versus 2 or 3 times a day now. So, basically...I have no clue!

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
My understanding is that poop eating is partially due to the smell of undigested protein in their stool.
Tyson has been enjoying poopsicles recently and now I'm wondering if this is why. A few months ago we switched the dogs to California Natural and Evo... and Evo is very high in protein. He's been doing fine on it... just noticed the new love for frozen turds.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger just started doing this in the winter months. There's usually three dogs pooping in the backyard and he only goes after the poops of the dog who eats Go! dog food. Ranger and the other dog are both on Orijen (fish and large breed puppy formulas) and they aren't interested in each other's poop, just the Go! ones. I'm thinking it must be something in the food, but have no idea why this interest has increased with the winter months. Unless I just didn't notice it in the summer...ew.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How about this?

I was out playing fetch with Toby and a ball in the snow. After three throws, he brought me back a frozen poopsicle instead of the ball! I wasn't sure whether to applaud since he did bring me something, or cry because of what he brought!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I should add ....

My daughter felt that I should definitely praise him since he obviously "exceeded my expectations." She didn't have to deal with the poopsicle though....

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm allowed to bring Ranger to my work and today he came in from outside with a big hunk of snow he oh-so-proudly dropped in the middle of the office. I went to pick it up and realized it was a massive poopsicle frozen in yellow snow. I dont think many people knew it was actually dog poop...I hope not anyway!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts