Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goldenfam
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an almost 5 year old female golden-our 5th golden over all. She has been the oddest pup from day one. Did not tolerate her puppy food well and after months of diarrhea and limiting her diet to boiled chicken and rice we finally were able to move her to a limited ingredient food and things seemed to improve. Then she started having UTIs, sometimes with bloody discharge every few months. Let me back up to say, she has always been a bit skittish and refuses to go outside often. In fact, there are days she will go out only once for a bowel movement or to urinate. We have never had a dog go 24+hours without wanting to go out ( and no accidents inside)!! She seems otherwise healthy and playful and of normal weight.
I’m giving background info in case something above might be triggering the newest issue. She has had 2 episodes of “seizure” like behavior. But not sure it’s really seizures. She seems coherent and aware when they occur. She looks directly at us and it is obvious she’s scared. But she can’t control her legs when she tries to stand and her head trembles-more like Parkinson’s movement. If she does get into a standing position her back arches upward and her tail curls crookedly. She is comforted as we sit close to her until it is over. Both episodes have lasted about 5 min each. These 2 episodes were months apart.

Has anyone experienced this with their dog? Any input would be appreciated. We took videos this time and will meet with the vet in the morning but are truly stumped. Doesn’t quite looks like Seizures to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have an almost 5 year old female golden-our 5th golden over all. She has been the oddest pup from day one. Did not tolerate her puppy food well and after months of diarrhea and limiting her diet to boiled chicken and rice we finally were able to move her to a limited ingredient food and things seemed to improve. Then she started having UTIs, sometimes with bloody discharge every few months. Let me back up to say, she has always been a bit skittish and refuses to go outside often. In fact, there are days she will go out only once for a bowel movement or to urinate. We have never had a dog go 24+hours without wanting to go out ( and no accidents inside)!! She seems otherwise healthy and playful and of normal weight.
I’m giving background info in case something above might be triggering the newest issue. She has had 2 episodes of “seizure” like behavior. But not sure it’s really seizures. She seems coherent and aware when they occur. She looks directly at us and it is obvious she’s scared. But she can’t control her legs when she tries to stand and her head trembles-more like Parkinson’s movement. If she does get into a standing position her back arches upward and her tail curls crookedly. She is comforted as we sit close to her until it is over. Both episodes have lasted about 5 min each. These 2 episodes were months apart.

Has anyone experienced this with their dog? Any input would be appreciated. We took videos this time and will meet with the vet in the morning but are truly stumped. Doesn’t quite looks like Seizures to me.
So sorry to hear the seizure like eposiods. Our Goldie had seizures the last couple of years of her life. I would suggest you just hold her as tight as you can & comfort hrr. KEEP RECORDS ALSO. Date, time, what's happening, etc.

S ALSO

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I recently started having issues with my oldest Golden, Duke. He has many health issues but started having these very odd times of becoming disoriented and attacking things that weren’t really there. He would then collapse. I felt it was neurological but seizures weren’t my first guess. We can’t sedate him safely for an MRI so the vet suggested we try Keppra. We noticed a difference in him within 24 hrs. He’s calmer, less agitated, no more scary episodes or collapse. The first few days I worried it was just sedating him, but that is no longer the case. He may have a bigger underlying issue but for right now the seizure meds are helping him be more himself. He’s older with other major issues so with him it’s about his comfort.

Document the episodes, video if possible, and go talk to your vet or a neurologist.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You are the first poster on this Forum that describes very similar seizure like episodes as my Gatsby has. I read through the posts in the seizure section of this Forum but all of them are about the typical types of seizures.
Gatsby is over 8 years old and started having these episodes at the age of 4.

Initially I visited neurologist, did MRI. All came back normal, healthy brain. The neuro after watching the video asked, “Is this it?” Then he recommended seizure medication saying there are many types of seizures and Gatsby has the odd ones.

I also visited a behaviorist to check on the mental state of my dog. After 2 hours of questions, mainly probing our (human) state of mind and living conditions, he watched the video and asked the same question as neuro “Is this it?” He recommended Prozac for Gatsby.

I showed the videos number of times to my regular vet. She is the one opposing any medication given the infrequent nature of these episodes and the fact Gatsby seems to be conscious and well aware of the situation. We did few tests to see if he responds to the commands and he does. He will try to come to me if I move away wagging his tail happily, but he can’t walk, so he is crawling.

As with your dog, the only signs of seizures for Gatsby are the stiffening of the legs and trembling like in Parkinson’s. He doesn’t have the normal signs of seizures such as jerking, foaming, paddling. Also, my vet said she never seen a dog with zero recovery time after the episode. Gatsby just gets up and continues with his day. I am very curious, does your girl require any time for recovery? Another odd thing my vet says is the episodes happen in the most active time of the day, that is just before the walks, during the walks or right after. The typical seizures come at night or early in the morning during the inactive periods.

Gatsby has been free of these episodes for 1.5 years. They came back around Christmas and New Year and since then didn’t repeat. I had many theories over the years about the causes of his seizures. No proof, but I believe his episodes are caused by lactose intolerance.

Please google for Paroxysmal Dyskinesia and see the videos, it affects mainly labs. Gatsby episodes are like these of PD. Does it look similar for your girl?

I hope I can hear from you. I wonder what your vet will say about it.

·
Goldenfam
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are the first poster on this Forum that describes very similar seizure like episodes as my Gatsby has. I read through the posts in the seizure section of this Forum but all of them are about the typical types of seizures.

Initially I visited neurologist, did MRI. All came back normal, healthy brain. The neuro after watching the video asked, “Is this it?” Then he recommended seizure medication saying there are many types of seizures and Gatsby has the odd ones.

I also visited a behaviorist to check on the mental state of my dog. After 2 hours of questions, mainly probing our (human) state of mind and living conditions, he watched the video and asked the same question as neuro “Is this it?” He recommended Prozac for Gatsby.

I showed the videos number of times to my regular vet. She is the one opposing any medication given the infrequent nature of these episodes and the fact Gatsby seems to be conscious and well aware of the situation. We did few tests to see if he responds to the commands and he does. He will try to come to me if I move away wagging his tail happily, but he can’t walk, so he is crawling.

As with your dog, the only signs of seizures for Gatsby are the stiffening of the legs and trembling like in Parkinson’s. He doesn’t have the normal signs of seizures such as jerking, foaming, paddling. Also, my vet said she never seen a dog with zero recovery time after the episode. Gatsby just gets up and continues with his day. I am very curious, does your girl require any time for recovery? Another odd thing my vet says is the episodes happen in the most active time of the day, that is just before the walks, during the walks or right after. The typical seizures come at night or early in the morning during the inactive periods.

Gatsby has been free of these episodes for 1.5 years. They came back around Christmas and New Year and since then didn’t repeat. I had many theories over the years about the causes of his seizures. No proof, but I believe his episodes are caused by lactose intolerance.

Please google for Paroxysmal Dyskinesia and see the videos, it affects mainly labs. Gatsby episodes are like these of PD. Does it look similar for your girl?

jaro32000
Oh my! Your description of your Gatsby’s neuro symptoms are very similar to what we see in our Sidney. We took the video to our vet and she said considering Sid is very aware of what is going on and is definitely trying to respond to our requests it’s some atypical seizure. Like you’re dog there is absolutely no recovery time. As soon as it is over (5min tops so far) she’s up and looks perfectly normal. Just looks at us as if to say “what was that?” I will say we notice her back arches during these and even her tail looks stiff and a bit bent. Vet labeled it idiopathic seizure which basically means “of unknown cause”. But she’s putting her on an antibiotic for her nervous system just to be sure it’s not any nasty infection. I did Google paroxysmal dyskinesia and the videos are very much similar to what our Sidney experiences. Thanks for sharing!! When the vet calls us with results of her bloodwork, I will definitely ask.

Have you tried to eliminate lactose from her diet? Our pup has had such a bad experience with food from day one, I worry about changing anything in her diet.
Please keep us updated and thanks for reaching out!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I eliminated lactose from his diet initially. Then we had a nice long brake for about 1.5 years. I relaxed the rules thinking lactose may not be the culprit. Now we are back to original lactose free diet and a couple of months free of episodes.

As for the Paroxysmal Dyskinesia diagnosis, I wish there was a neurologist in Canada who studied this condition. To this day I didn’t find one to confirm or reject PD. In North America in general PD is still considered as some type of a seizure. However, in Europe and especially in UK this condition is differentiated from seizures and it is called movement disorder. Here is a really good video from a neurologist in UK talking about PD and how he differentiates seizures from a movement disorder. He also talks about how in PD there is zero recovery time unlike with seizures. Also, he talks how seizures are more progressive with age, more frequent and severe and PD has no pattern and often is regressive.

I hope Sidney has no further episodes. And please post any updates!

·
Goldenfam
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I eliminated lactose from his diet initially. Then we had a nice long brake for about 1.5 years. I relaxed the rules thinking lactose may not be the culprit. Now we are back to original lactose free diet and a couple of months free of episodes.

As for the Paroxysmal Dyskinesia diagnosis, I wish there was a neurologist in Canada who studied this condition. To this day I didn’t find one to confirm or reject PD. In North America in general PD is still considered as some type of a seizure. However, in Europe and especially in UK this condition is differentiated from seizures and it is called movement disorder. Here is a really good video from a neurologist in UK talking about PD and how he differentiates seizures from a movement disorder. He also talks about how in PD there is zero recovery time unlike with seizures. Also, he talks how seizures are more progressive with age, more frequent and severe and PD has no pattern and often is regressive.

Thank you! I will post after I hear from our vet. So glad you reached out. Definitely something to look in to.

·
Goldenfam
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi. We finally received the second series of blood work results back. Vet said Sidney has Hypothyroidism and she feels 99% sure that is causing the “seizure” like issues. We will start a supplement and monitor her behavior for now. If we hear or see any more issues we will be sure to let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts