Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old golden retriever died suddenly. About two minutes from her acting completely normal and then me finding her dead. She didn’t choke on anything and it looked as if she purposely laid down (didn’t appear to have fallen). Does anybody know what could have caused this?

·
Super Moderator
2,143 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this ):
there is no way to know for certain unless you get the necropsy- it will offer some closure. Are you in contact with your breeder and littermates? Would advise you to let them know as well. I'm thinking cardiac issues too..

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
I'll third that
SAS is my guess for 1 YO sudden death- did sire and dam have cardiologist heart clearances?

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
My heart goes out to you... the death of any loved dog is heartbreaking but there is something especially paintful about the loss of a young dog, especially like you're going through. I am afraid that unless you ask the vet for the necropsy, there is no way to be sure, but I would also believe it was a heart issue, which is one of the core clearances for Goldens. I hope since you saw no issues or symptoms and she was behaving normally, you will find comfort that she didn't suffer. You gave her the best life while she was here and there was nothing you could have done differently to save her. When you are able, you might consider letting her breeder know. Ethical breeders will want this information. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm so sorry to hear this ):
there is no way to know for certain unless you get the necropsy- it will offer some closure. Are you in contact with your breeder and littermates? Would advise you to let them know as well. I'm thinking cardiac issues too..
I am getting the necropsy done, so hopefully that brings more clarity. The vet said it may take several months to get the results back which is unfortunate. I didn’t buy her from a breeder and have no way of contacting the person I bought her from so I hope her litter mates are doing ok and staying healthy.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Two of my boy’s littermates died in the same manner. Within a few months of each other. One was 13 months, one was 15 months. Both separate owners had said they went out to play in the morning like usual. One owner found her dog laying dead under the tree in the yard when he didn’t come back inside, the other owner said she let the dogs back in and her dog collapsed on the floor and she never got up. Only one did a necropsy, up at Cornell. It was ruled a “sudden cardiac event possibly arrhythmia”. (And this was what the breeder said in an email to other littermates parents, before telling us not to ask any questions). I do have doubts that this is truthful, and that it was SAS and they didn’t want that info to be found out. Both of this litters parents DID have OFA cardiac exams by a cardiologist, both auscultations. Really blows my mind because after this happened, the breeder put practitioner heart clearances on a few of her dogs. Horribly irresponsible IMO. Needless to say I wouldn’t ever recommend this breeder to anyone, and for other reasons as well.

This is so devastating. I am so sorry. Do you have the opportunity to do a necropsy, and what did the breeder say?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. Two of my boy’s littermates died in the same manner. Within a few months of each other. One was 13 months, one was 15 months. Both separate owners had said they went out to play in the morning like usual. One owner found her dog laying dead under the tree in the yard when he didn’t come back inside, the other owner said she let the dogs back in and her dog collapsed on the floor and she never got up. Only one did a necropsy, up at Cornell. It was ruled a “sudden cardiac event possibly arrhythmia”. (And this was what the breeder said in an email to other littermates parents, before telling us not to ask any questions). I do have doubts that this is truthful, and that it was SAS and they didn’t want that info to be found out. Both of this litters parents DID have OFA cardiac exams by a cardiologist, both auscultations. Really blows my mind because after this happened, the breeder put practitioner heart clearances on a few of her dogs. Horribly irresponsible IMO. Needless to say I wouldn’t ever recommend this breeder to anyone, and for other reasons as well.

This is so devastating. I am so sorry. Do you have the opportunity to do a necropsy, and what did the breeder say?
I agree, very irresponsible. I am getting a necropsy done, but they said it takes several months to receive results. I didn’t buy her through a breeder so I have no way of contacting them, which is driving me crazy as well.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ahhh I see. It seemed like the necropsy done with my dog’s brother was done and the results were given within a matter of weeks. I hope it doesn’t take months for your sake. I am so sorry you are in the situation. It’s not fair.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing a dog is always hard, losing young dogs unexpectedly even more so.

The same thing happened to friends of mine, all with dogs that were related. One young pup died as she was running across the kitchen floor, another as he sat in his crate waiting for breakfast. Devastating and heartbreaking. Necropsies were done on at least two of the pups, with no definitive results except that it was not SAS. Tentative thoughts were an issue with the heart’s electrical system, causing a fatal arrhythmia.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the necropsy can bring some closure. I know it did with my Bear who passed at 4 years old after a short fight with cancer. hugs I know how devastating this can be.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
I agree, very irresponsible. I am getting a necropsy done, but they said it takes several months to receive results. I didn’t buy her through a breeder so I have no way of contacting them, which is driving me crazy as well.
Depending on where sent for necropsy, it could be way faster- if he went to a university, they'll try to do as quickly as possible , I know at UF they try to get them finished up within 2 weeks unless you ask for more than a gross necropsy (that's all that'd been needed if it was SAS) . If a private company, that's a whole other thing. I've heard of them taking 3 months to finalize one.
I'm so sorry-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 1 year old golden retriever died suddenly. About two minutes from her acting completely normal and then me finding her dead. She didn’t choke on anything and it looked as if she purposely laid down (didn’t appear to have fallen). Does anybody know what could have caused this?
Update: I received the results from the necropsy and her death was caused from valley fever and pancreatitis.

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
Update: I received the results from the necropsy and her death was caused from valley fever and pancreatitis.
I am so sorry for your loss. Do you happen to have the results they sent you if you did get them?
I appreciate you updating the post. I’m interested in reading what they found. VF is very hard to miss in the primary and disseminated form and the asymptomatic dogs don’t usually have issues…and pancreatitis can be missed, but it is typically a very very painful disease process…

I just want to reiterate how sorry I am that you lost your beloved dog so suddenly 💔

1 - 20 of 20 Posts