Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've lost a couple dogs to this disease. The last one was a little over two years ago. He was six years old, and boarded along with our other two dogs, at a place we have gone to for many years, and still use. We had just boarded a cruise, got a frantic message he had collapsed, and was at the ER vet but was stable.
Two hours he went into cardiac arrest and died. I still feel guilty that he died with strangers. And still wonder if I missed something. But thinking back, there really was no clues, he was fine in the morning and gone by midnight.
It is an absolutely awful disease.
I’m so sorry for what happened to your boy. We are still torturing ourselves, wondering if we missed something. But the signs were difficult to put together. He was behaving normally up until the moment of his collapse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am sorry for you loss....I lost two of my Golden's last year. One was very sudden, it was hard! I read something that helped a bit, I will share with you...

Inside Your Heart
When tomorrow starts without me,

Don’t think we’re far apart.

For everytime you think of me,

I’m right here inside your heart.
Thank you. He is in my heart, for sure.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Coopchar,

I'm so sorry about your loss. We've lost one of our (5 over the years) goldens to hemangio. It was so sudden. One minute he was fine, the next we were rushing him to the vet, where he helped hiim to the Bridge.
So sorry for your loss. We tried a grain-free diet for a while, but read mixed reviews online, so we switched to a limited ingredients diet. Our current golden is now 12 and has hip issues, a collapsed trachea, and ongoing skin itchiness. So, we do our best.

Our previous golden had a type of skin cancer and we lost her at 8 years. We found out then that cancer runs in the line (back to dogs from the Gold-Rush kennels in NJ).
Our current dog is from the European lines, which have less cancer, but you never know what condition might come out in a line.

We’ve been lucky that we’ve had 2 great goldens, and they both have known that they were/are loved. It’s very sad when one gets ill unexpectedly. Our hearts go out to you! All the best.
We adopted a senior mix (many breeds), Bailey, who had a skin infection when we adopted her. We got that treated, but she still had a problem with itching.

The vet prescribed Apoquel. It worked wonders for her. After a few weeks, we discontinued the Apoquel and began bathing her every couple of weeks with a medicated shampoo we got from our vet. I can highly recommend Apoquel.

For hip problems, Adaquan worked wonders. It was like a miracle when our late girl, Katie, started on it. One day, she's hobbling around. The day after the first injection, she was like a puppy. Adaquan lubricates the joints and reduces inflammation in them without the negative side effects of NSAIDS. It's relatively inexpensive. Our vet gave us the vial and some small syringes. You give them a dose once a week for a month, then every other week the next month, and as needed after that.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts