Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our beloved boy Oscar died suddenly at aged just 2 on 18 July.

Has anyone had a similar experience? The vet can't tell us anything. He says that there was no visible evidence so it must have been some sort of genetical flaw. He was his usual happy self then started to fit and in a minute was gone. To make it worse (or better) he was with a sitter as we are away on holiday.

Any insight would be so comforting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So sorry to hear about Oscar, wonder if it was heart related. Its so hard to lose a furry friend, especially at such a young age.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,090 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Oscar.

It's always hard losing one, but to lose one at a young and suddenly is even more so.

Did the sitter give you any details? Hard to say without knowing the situation.

My thoughts go out to you, again so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
Did you have a necropsy done on him? Did the sitter tell you any symptoms he may have displayed before his collapse?
Again, I am so sorry, he was too young.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
There is no way of knowing, but with such a youngster, my guess would probably be a heart issue. Had the vet every heard or mentioned a murmur? Or is there anyway he could have gotten into something toxic? Whatever the cause, I'm so very sorry. So tragic to lose such a baby.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
No ideas but just want to say I'm so very sorry

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am so terribly sorry. That's very sad and must have been such a shock. Have you contacted the breeder? They may be able to help with some answers but at the very least they need to know what's happened.
Please feel free to share your thoughts, pictures, memories etc in any of the board sections, as and when you need to. Many of us have lost our much loved Goldens, but to lose one so young must be so shocking.
Run free Lovely Oscar.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

His heart? Or possibly a brain haemorrhage if he fitted. (My best friend from school died like this aged 24, totally out of the blue).

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
You could have a necropsy done in hopes of finding answers.

So sorry for your loss :(

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, despite the sad circumstances that bring you to us.

My heart is aching for you and your sweet boy. Heart problems are common in Goldens and they often underlie a sudden death at early age, but the "fit" sounds like perhaps a toxin was involved. If you are like many who lose a dog so young, you will never really know what happened to him.

Please feel free to share photos of your boy and stories about him, both to process your grief and to create a memorial to him. There are many of us here who mourn our Bridge dogs, no matter how they were when they died or how long it has been since they left us. We understand.

Peace be with you,
Lucy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts