Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago, our beloved 5-year-old, Shamrock, died suddenly. One second he was bounding happily across the back porch. The next second, he was collapsed on the kitchen floor. He had what appeared to be a brief seizure and then was gone. His body went instantly limp. Although we rushed him to the vet, we pretty much knew there was no hope. The vet suggested it might have been an undiagnosed heart condition. We are just so heartbroken. Shamrock was such a gentle soul. Not a mean bone in his body. I used to joke that he was a Buddhist monk trapped in a dog's body. And now he's gone. Although there's small comfort in knowing that he didn't suffer, I regret not having had an opportunity to say a proper goodbye. I regret the tomorrows we won't have the chance to share together. My husband and 2 daughters seem to have rebounded far better than I have. Maybe that's because I was the one to walk him and feed him. Mine was the desk he curled up beneath while I worked. We still have a 2-year-old Golden, Blarney, and I'm trying to shower him with love and attention...but the loss of his dear older brother is so difficult for me. Not looking for speculation as to what the cause of death was...just support. Many thanks to those out there who respond and understand.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,529 Posts
I am very sorry for your sudden loss. It is very hard to lose such a young dog within minutes. Yes, it is always harder on those who are closer to a dog, they do not give just love, they give food, and care, and time in addition to love. You found the place when people understand your feelings.
Run free, play hard, sleep softly sweet Shamrock, your family and your mom will never forget you.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always hard when you lose a dog, especially at such a young young. Take your time and allow yourself to go through the grieving process in your own way. We all deal with it differently, one person may seem to go through a short grieving others longer, there is no right or wrong way. Also, your dog will grieve and just keep loving him and giving him extra attention. He will get through it. Sending prayers to your family. RIP Shamrock..run free and know there are lots of friends at the bridge for you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So sorry to hear of Shamrock's sudden death!! It's always hardest for those of us who pour in all of the time, attention and love into our beloved pet....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Goldens are happy to the end. So sorry you lost Shamrock at such a young age. My friend lost her Lab around that age to cancer not too long ago. So sad.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so sad to read of Shamrock's untimely passing. So young..... so heartbreaking. Please know that you will find lots of friendship and support here. Please feel free to share stories, pictures, vent with your feelings.... whatever it is that will soothe your heart and help you heal. There will always be shoulder to lean or cry on and ears to listen. Many prayers for you and your family. Godspeed sweet boy. You are forever loved.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
You can't love em enough and losing them is so very, very hard. My thoughts are with you...run free Shamrock your amoung countless friends from this forum alone. It will take time, god knows, but the memories will turn to smiles with time.

Pete

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I am very sorry to hear you lost your Shamrock. Five is far too young whether he was sick or suddenly as in his case. I also lost a golden suddenly at 7 and I had an autopsy and it was heart related -- something that would not have shown in routine exams. I hope you find comfort in happy memories.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm a stay at mom and I cry every day when I walk into the house after dropping my daughter off at school. I brought her fish downstairs and put it in the kitchen to have someone to talk to...like I use. He sometimes spits out the rocks at the bottom of the tank and it sounds like Max walking on the tile. I lose it every time.

I'm sure Shamrock is playing with my Max over the Rainbow.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Shamrock. He sounds like a wonderful soul but way to young to have to go. It seems the more we invest in our relationship with our dog the more we suffer from their loss.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts