Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden, Sundance, has always been the perfect retriever but lately he has begun to demonstrate some different behaviors. For about two weeks now he will constantly plant his feet and stop walking. He also keeps checking out both sides back haunches. We have reduced walking to half what he used to do but it continues. This morning on our short walk a person asked to pet him. When I said yes, he lunged at her. He has never done this before. I am thinking he must be in pain somewhere causing this behavior. Taking him to the vet at this time would be very, difficult. We are away from home in FL. Any discussion would be helpful. He also takes Glucosamine DA Plus daily. Barbara

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It does sound like he is experiencing pain. If you are going to be away from home much longer, I would go ahead and try to get him into a vet. I know it is a hard time to be dealing with this. Does he seem bothered other than when on a walk? If you are going home soon, maybe just walk enough for him to do his potty routine.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
When you say 'checking out both sides back haunches' do you mean he's looking back or his rear is giving out? Where in FL are you? I can get you some names of good vets probably where ever you are.

·
Registered
404 Posts
From you description it does sound like a pain response. But, it also could be a problem with his eyes. If he is having problems seeing he could also have these responses....

Get him to a vet soon, hopefully it is a temporary condition. I once had a Golden that contracted Lyme diseases. These behaviors were also displayed when he got Lyme disease. He did get through it, although it came back on him 2-3 times.

Hope this works out well for you....

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Vets seems to still be open for business everywhere albeit with shortened hours. I would imagine there is a 24 hour veterinary hospital somewhere within driving distance. This is something I would not wait to have checked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts