Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rescued golden retriever
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our rescued golden on the 3rd. The same day she came home to us she started a new seizure medication (potassium bromide) after a full vet examination by the rescue. Just two days ago, or perhaps just starting yesterday morning she began scratching, biting her back end, etc. This didn't occur before.

Just to answer a little, there are no signs of fleas (and I've never heard of a dog in our area getting fleas, just ticks). We have two other dogs in the house that are having no issues. Could it be the meds even though I didn't see it as a listed side effect? Should I was her bed or give her a bath?

Oh, one other things, her coat was cut short prior to us getting her either because she was matted or for a full vet check. Could it be growing back and bugging her?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It could be the regrowing hair. It could be parasites. It could be allergies.

I would recommend getting a video and showing it to your vet and talking to your vet about this... there are some types of seizure/compulsive behaviors that look like chewing/biting.

Thanks for adopting!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Congrats on your new family addition. I have no experience with your particular question but also wanted to say that you might want to post in the health section of the forum too.

·
rescued golden retriever
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay, thanks! I'll post over there in the morning and try to get some other ideas. It's not a seizure. She's using her hind leg to scratch and I can't see how that's a seizure but we'll be emailing her vet too. I'm guessing meds or food. Ugh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts