Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors recently got a boxer puppy and Miss Happy was excited to play with her. They got along the first couple weeks and then the puppy start nipping at Happy's face and neck and she would lie down on her side and not try to get away. We tried calling her and throwing a ball to get them to run but it always ended up with Happy on her side and the boxer puppy nipping at her. Any suggestions? Miss Happy needs someone to play with as it is good exercise which she needs.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Such a sweetie; reminds me of my Alli, my second golden, who would take all sorts of abuse from puppies--she'd look like she would come close to nailing them, and then just roll her eyes to the skies. One of my friends brought her puppy over, who promptly took every toy in my house, made a big pile of it, and claimed it as hers--and my two older dogs just sat there with hang dog looks on their faces.

Is there an obedience class that you can take Miss Happy to? Although it doesn't sound much like play time, obedience classes are great ways to meet other people and dogs--and their are brief breaks during class where the dogs can play. People sometimes meet before class or after class and have the dogs play too, and arrange "play dates" on occasion.

The boxer pup is going thru typical puppy stage right now--and probably needs a better outlet too; although the boxer pup is a neighbor, and is close by, I would look for other friends--more in your dog's age group; it will also help with Miss Happy's submission. She'll never be an alpha, but there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My Oakly is still very submissive around puppies and little dogs. He is more than happy to roll on his back and let the puppies chew on him.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would be willing to bet she'll put up with it as long as the puppy is a 'baby' in her mind, and when that boxer starts to turn into an annoying pest of a teenager, she'll let her know that that sort of thing isn't allowed anymore.

Bender used to put up with a lot from Ticket when he was tiny, then one day she decided that she wasn't going to put up with quite so much, told him off when he tried to steal her bone (where the day before she'd just allow it) and he was quite shocked, but never did it again...

Lana

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miss Happy has been to obedience class but it was trainer only. Starting to look into playday at near kennels. Our vet doesn't recommend dog parks. Thanks ofr your suggestions/comments.

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Moose is the same way with the in-laws new chocolate lab. That dog will nip at his legs, pull on his tail and chest hair all the while Moose is just letting him. Moose will let him know when his play goes too far by simply pinning him down with his foot or growling at him. I don't consider it a bad thing at all. Now he is rougher with big dogs but with puppies he is gentle and the same way when he is around my triplet and twin nephews. They can pull on his hair and lay all over him with no problems at all.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Miss Happy,

You may be located close to where I am since you recommended a vet in Bridgeton. I take Luck to a class that is in Chesterfield. She is great. Anyways, Luck plays before and after class with a Beagle. He absolutely loves it. If you are interested in her information I can give it to you.

I know what you mean needing the exercise. I wish Luck had someone to play with on a regular basis.

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beth, we live in Defiance, MO. Miss Happy had obedience training at Sorenson Kennels on Hwy DD - she passed buy DH failed. Petropolis has been suggested for playdays so I'll check it out. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts