Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stacey, Zoey and Rachel!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I haven't been on here in a LOOOOONG while, my golden puppy is now almost a year and a half!

Anyway, I know there are some other older threads regarding this issue on here, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any success with different suggestions people have made? When Zoey was growing up, my husband thought spanking her for doing bad was the way to discipline her. He did it that way with his cattle dog and though it worked for her, I tried to tell him Goldens are too sensitive for that type of behavior. It didn't take very long for him to figure out that I (and other Golden owner friends of ours) were correct. He has not raised his voice or a hand to Zoey in months and months and months, but I think from the earlier experience she is scared of him and most males.

Whenever he comes home from work or somewhere else, or when she has done something bad, she squats and pees, sometimes she rolls in it, which is really gross. He does not even yell at her anymore and he's started ignoring her when he comes home from work until she calms down. Then he can pet her without her peeing. But sometimes she gets scared and pees around him for no reason at all. She does this with other males occasionally, never with me or other women.

Any suggestions for things we can try at home before going to a trainer??? I'd love to know what helped or worked for anyone else. I suggested having him walk her and I walk our other dog when we go on walks and having him do more stuff with her to build her confidence....don't know if it's helping or not. So thanks in advance for any tips. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My Oakly was a submissive peer when he was a small pup but quickly grew out of it. For you I would suggest having your husband ramp up the fun factor when he comes home and be sure to add some treats. I would also enlist the help of some other males to set up meetings that are upbeat and fun. Good luck to you.

·
Stacey, Zoey and Rachel!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will suggest that. She sometimes pees even when he's trying to be nice to her, today he was playing with both dogs and all of the sudden Zoey just squatted and peed on the kitchen floor, so it almost seems like whether he's super happy and nice to her or not, either way she's afraid of him, or just overexcited. She's a year and a half, maybe she'll grow out of it too?

She was better for a while, she was in heat a couple weeks ago and since then she's been peeing a lot again, maybe that has something to do with it??? Ugh frustrating.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Hummmm, a dog that pees itself and the house when it sees the owner. Sound like a dog I would want.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with OaklysDad. Have him keep some treats in his car so when he comes home he will have it ready for her. Also you might want to start taking her outside right before he comes home to empty her bladder so she doesnt have as big an accident. Have him do alot of fun playtime with treats and bring some male friends to play with her giving her lots of praise. Hopefully with time she will overcome her submissiveness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts