Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
Raw diets have also been found to be a suspect in DCM.
Not saying this is incorrect but that's hard to believe as raw diets are usually 80-95% raw meat and taurine comes from animal protein and not plant proteins. Cooking the meats is what destroys taurine and why it's added back into kibble. If raw diets are linked to DCM it shouldn't be from the lack of available taurine but maybe an unbalanced diet that was concocted (this is why I don't recommend getting a raw recipe from the internet).

How the whole taurine thing was originally figured out was back in 1987, I believe, they found that cats were getting cataracts early and heart issues. They found that these were indoor cats and cats that were outdoors frequently weren't having this issue at all (they were catching live animals and eating them). So they starting pumping taurine into the diets and no more incidences of cataracts or heart issues. Cats require a much higher level of taurine then a dog does, but they both need it. But a raw diet should not contribute to the low taurine diet related DCM issue.

Maybe prep people are buying the lowest quality of meat possible but even then taurine levels shouldn't be effected. The phosphorus and ash level can change based on quality but not the amino acid taurine that I'm aware of. Not that extent.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
@Maggie'sVoice , if I remember right, the raw diets that were implicated were very low in real meat/vegetarian. Properly formulated raw diets have not been implicated as far as I know.

That would make perfect sense then! :wink2: Again, I recommend staying away from those internet recipes. I actually do a premade raw food from Nature's Variety and sometimes get a random formula from Bravo or Nature's Logic to change things up. I also use the Raw as a supplementary diet to the kibble I feed.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Can anyone tell me what kind of taurine to buy and where they bought it from. I have looked on line at the pet stores and cannot find it?? Thanks

Per the cardiologist, I am using Taurine from GNC. She helped me calculate dosage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'd love to add some commercial raw like Natures Variety to Murphy's kibble but don't want to over feed him. He currently eats Farmina Ancestral Grain chicken, two cups a day. How would you adjust what I feed him. He's 92lbs and not fat, just a big dog. Thanks for any input!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
I'd love to add some commercial raw like Natures Variety to Murphy's kibble but don't want to over feed him. He currently eats Farmina Ancestral Grain chicken, two cups a day. How would you adjust what I feed him. He's 92lbs and not fat, just a big dog. Thanks for any input!
It depends on what you want to do, 50-50 or 75% kibble to 25% raw. I feed nature's variety raw. I generally just add a couple medallions to the kibble and just take a little kibble out. The easiest thing to do is look what it takes to feed raw 60# did is about 8oz per meal (2 meals a day) each medallion is 1oz.

So 50% kibble means 4 medallions each meal. 75% if the kibble you feed them you free 2 medallions per meal (25% of a raw meal)

If I want to just feed a raw meal, I also keep the rear patties which are 8oz per pay. So I just feed a raw Patty and the need meal I'll go back to kibble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My understanding is that Eukanuba 30/20 or Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach or Purina ProPlan 30/20 are preferred foods for Goldens in regard to DCM. If I have misunderstood this please let me know. Thank you. I will be switching from Fromm.:smile2:

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
For the DCM issue you just want to limit and legume ingredients to 1 or 2 if any and none in the top 10 ingredients. There are dozens and dozens of foods that should be safe and if you join the FB group on the DCM issue they have a table of foods that are implicated and foods that haven't had any issues.

I'm just not sure why people are so hell bent on feeding a food (a 30/20 performance food) meant for working dogs that are in the field working or training for 3-5 hours a day to a dog that is just a pet. Unless your dog is competing or training hard to compete in field work or agility it's sooo much excess for the dogs.

·
Maegan
557 Posts
I'm just not sure why people are so hell bent on feeding a food (a 30/20 performance food) meant for working dogs that are in the field working or training for 3-5 hours a day to a dog that is just a pet. Unless your dog is competing or training hard to compete in field work or agility it's sooo much excess for the dogs.
I actually agree with this. My dog is a performance dog (Obedience/Rally), but we don't train everyday, let alone hours on end. There is another version of Pro Plan Sport that is less calories: the 26/16 version. This is what I feed as it is more appropriate for my dog and our lifestyle. It's very similar to 30/20 - still chicken based, still has grains, etc. It's just less calories.

Personally, I think Pro Plan Focus or the Sport 26/16 are better for "pet" dogs than the 30/20. My neutered male would get really fat really fast if I had him on 30/20 and fed more than 1 cup per day.

·
Registered
21,101 Posts
My dog hunts. I'm not talking brief runs training for hunt tests, I'm talking upland hunting. These dogs run all out for at least a couple of hours.
These are the dogs for which the performance foods are intended, not house pets or even dogs who participate in the companion sports of rally, obedience, agility etc.
My boy eats PPP SSS salmon, and during hunting season (until he got old) I have to add fat to his food.

·
Registered
21,101 Posts
Sorry duplicate post

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah I heard Purina pro plan, hills science diet, Eukanuba, Royal Canin and one more company I don’t remember where safety according to a taurine and DCM group on Facebook. So much info I don’t know what to believe or what to use. Luna has been on blue wilderness which has has cases. According to the Facebook group the 5 foods are the only ones free of DCM problems. Luna has stomach issues and does great on blue buffalo now. She got sick on Purina pro plan before. I hear that the peas, legumes, pulses and potatoes block protein and taurine obsorbtion. Any one heard any of this. I can’t believe all the other dog food is bad.. I don’t know

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
Yeah I heard Purina pro plan, hills science diet, Eukanuba, Royal Canin and one more company I don’t remember where safety according to a taurine and DCM group on Facebook. So much info I don’t know what to believe or what to use. Luna has been on blue wilderness which has has cases. According to the Facebook group the 5 foods are the only ones free of DCM problems. Luna has stomach issues and does great on blue buffalo now. She got sick on Purina pro plan before. I hear that the peas, legumes, pulses and potatoes block protein and taurine obsorbtion. Any one heard any of this. I can’t believe all the other dog food is bad.. I don’t know

I feed Precise Holistic Large breed adult and fed the puppy version as well and had my dog tested at UC Davis and her whole blood came back 363. That food is VERY good and no issues with it in regards to the DCM issue. Just keep away from a high volume of legumes (keep it to 1 or 2 only) and keep them out of the top 10 ingredients.

It isn't a Grain Free issue but it feels like 90% (my arbitrary number) of grain free diets are loaded with legumes they are the category that is being picked on. Honestly, the grain inclusive diets that have the high legume volume is mostly the exotic meat diets as most feeding those type of proteins are seeking unique ingredients based on sensitivities. So don't move away from a grain free and onto a non grain free without looking cause it's not just linked to those grain free diets.

321 - 340 of 371 Posts