Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think the study started in July 2018 and owners have to live within 150 miles of one of the participating universities - UC Davis (California), University of Wisconsin, or Colorado State University.

I'm an RN and don't know anything about veterinarian medicine but my first reaction is basically in agreement w/ this - "Critics of the concept say tumor cells are too genetically complex to be consistently thwarted by zeroing in on any one target." But that doesn't mean it might not be able to prevent some forms of cancer or reduce the rate and severity of progression.

If I lived close enough and the study was still open, I'd do a whole lot more research and I'd seriously consider enrolling Luna.

This is a really good article on the study:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-shot-against-cancer-slated-for-testing-in-massive-dog-study/

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the study started in July 2018 and owners have to live within 150 miles of one of the participating universities - UC Davis (California), University of Wisconsin, or Colorado State University.

I'm an RN and don't know anything about veterinarian medicine but my first reaction is basically in agreement w/ this - "Critics of the concept say tumor cells are too genetically complex to be consistently thwarted by zeroing in on any one target." But that doesn't mean it might not be able to prevent some forms of cancer or reduce the rate and severity of progression.

If I lived close enough and the study was still open, I'd do a whole lot more research and I'd seriously consider enrolling Luna.

This is a really good article on the study:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-shot-against-cancer-slated-for-testing-in-massive-dog-study/

Yeah I’d not heard about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,363 Posts
Yes! That’s what I saw this morning and found the study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Over the last several years, there have been several articles about the possible link between Canine and Human cancers, the CNN article talks about this some.

It would be great if the information and results from this Clinical Trial could help humans.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think the study may still be enrolling participants. I hope they get a lot of Golden Retrievers. It would be so amazing if they saw a significant drop in hemangiosarcoma and other common cancers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts