Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Golden retriever owner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure where to post this but anyways. I was wanting to stud out my beautiful golden retriever, his mom was a beautiful cream golden and his dad was a beautiful dark golden (Show quality), so he is more on the lighter side. before I start studying him out I have some questions. he its only 6 months old, not ready to studout yet. I've never had an UN neutered dog before, I was wondering if they are any hard to take care of then a neutered dog, will he start trying to run off when he smells dogs in heat? will it change his personality by breeding him? will he be aggressive to other Male dogs even if they are fixed? if I start studing him out can I make restrictions For the female dog that will have his puppies, such as "all puppies must be on limited registration" "his puppies cannot leave mom until at least 8 weeks old"??? I've already researched some wat about breeding And already know that he cannot start breeding until two years old and needs to get his heart and eyes , ,elbows and hips checked before breeding and I need to take him to shows. please no rude answers, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,808 Posts
The best thing you can do is join the Golden Retriever Club of America and your local golden retriever breed club. They will be your best resource to finding out how to be a responsible breeder producing the best puppies you can. They will also help guide you to all health clearances necessary for your boy to breed to girls. Health clearances cannot be completed until age 24 months. So you have plenty of time to decide if this is what you really want to do. There is an excellent website to look at various dogs health clearances: www.offa.org

So visit www.grca.org for the national club and they will have links to your local club. Another great resource will be the breeder of your pup. They will also be able to guide you through the process assuming they are a responsible breeder also.

At 6 months old, it's a bit early to tell if he is breeding material. But it's nice that you think so much of him that you would like to breed him. So relax have fun and see how he develops. Oh and post photos for us to see your puppy!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Perhaps you could find a breeder local to you to mentor you? Breeding dogs takes a ton of work and a great depth of knowledge, and even some of the nicest looking dogs with fantastic temperaments aren't suitable to breed. Have you attended any local shows or trials to get a feel for what's involved in titling a dog?

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
I've never had an UN neutered dog before, I was wondering if they are any hard to take care of then a neutered dog, will he start trying to run off when he smells dogs in heat? will it change his personality by breeding him? will he be aggressive to other Male dogs even if they are fixed?
I don't know about aggression, but.... yeah.

I've shared obedience classes with people who bred their boys and suddenly their boys can't concentrate on anything if they SMELL that a girl in heat had been out on the floor in the recent week or so.

And I know of people who could not stand their dog after they bred him once. These were people who did not train their dogs or anything like that. They just decided to breed and have lab puppies. The boy was constantly humping everything and uber excited about any dogs and so on. They wound up getting rid of him. That's not going to be the case with people who give a darn about their dogs and really put the work into training and handling.

if I start studing him out can I make restrictions For the female dog that will have his puppies, such as "all puppies must be on limited registration" "his puppies cannot leave mom until at least 8 weeks old"???
No. The owner of the bitch owns the litter.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
As others have said, the best thing you can do is have a good breeder mentor. Perhaps his breeder would be willing.
In the dog world (and most animals!) the girl's owner gets to choose, not the boy's owner. So while you may want to stud your boy out, you may have a hard time finding a female's owner who is willing to breed to your boy. There are lots of very nice male Goldens out there.
You need to consider what will make your boy attractive to the female's owner. Of course, health clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid) AND the DNA tests (PRA-1, PRA-2, prcd-PRA, ichtyhoisis) have to be done and clear. Figure about $1000 or so for the full set of tests.
You will probably need to show him in a few venues, such as obedience, agility, hunt tests, tracking to some decent level titles to prove that he's smart and trainable. Titles are often important to the female's owner.
And you should at the very least pass a CCA (see the GRCA website for information, it's a conformation assessment that proves he is to the Golden standard) if you are not interested in the show ring.
Good luck in your endeavors, and welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts