Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a dog that will lay down on the sidewalk in the middle of walk?? I have trouble even getting Teddy to go around the block! He just decides that we will not go any farther and the only way to get him moving again is to turn around. It's frustrating and kind of embarrassing when people see me trying to haul my dog off of the ground. Our last golden was the same way...

I know there is nothing wrong with him because when it comes to off leash play he is a maniac and never wants to stop running around.

Any ideas on what I can do to make walks more fun for him?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jacey will stop in the middle of walks, especially if she wants to go in a different direction than I'm going. It's been kind of bad though when we're walking down a side street and there is a car coming and I'm trying to get her out of the way. Usually now I take a toy with us that I can hold onto, and I keep my pockets full of treats. I've also started taking an empty plastic water bottle with us. She loves to pick that kind of stuff up off the streets when she sees it and I figure this way at least I know where it's been.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
If he always balks at the same place, I would honor his refusal to go past whatever is there. If my dogs balk in the woods, we turn around and go the other way since they can smell and sense things I cannot.

If he just doesn't want to walk while on leash, I would work on making walking on leash more fun; for example let him walk on leash to his very favorite place and play with him. - also, is he allowed to be 'just a dog' on walks? That is, can he stop and sniff, perhaps roll etc? If not, allowing this behaviour at times might help.

He might not like walking on sidewalks if they bother his pads or if his nails are long enough to catch and kind of scrape.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have found that Josie really dislikes walking near busy streets, and on pavement in general. I started taking her to our local pond, and we go down some of the nature trails. She really loves walking now that there aren't any cars and she can walk on dirt and snow. Even if you don't have something like this nearby, maybe a ball field or park you can walk around?
I also started off with very short walks (5 mins)and am building up to longer ones (we are up to about 30 mins). And now that she is getting used to walking on her leash, she's also getting better at traffic and pavement when we do go on a regular street. Just take baby steps, and don't push him past his comfort levels - you don't want to make him afraid, that's a whole other issue!!

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My Charlie used to do that and i would just turn round and then turn round again.
She still sometimes does it but not very often but but is still stubbon
like these photo's she would not get in the car because she could not go in the stream and would not come out of the rain when we got to the pub :) but i love her.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I tried bringing treats along and that still wouldn't get him really moving. I just don't think he's into leash walking. I don't know if he just doesn't like walking in the winter...I mean maybe he will be better when the weather gets better.

maggie1951 - those pictures are priceless! :)

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I tried bringing treats along and that still wouldn't get him really moving. I just don't think he's into leash walking. I don't know if he just doesn't like walking in the winter...I mean maybe he will be better when the weather gets better.

maggie1951 - those pictures are priceless! :)
Thanks you can't really be cross with her :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
How old is your baby? I know when Finn was still really little (actually up until very recently, and he's almost 5 months!!) he would stop,sit, or even lay down on walks too. Sometimes we could get him to keep going, but a lot of times I'd wind up carrying him home rather than pull him :no:. I saw that someone suggested bringing some yummies along. This worked wonders for us, as Finn is extremely food motivated! We also bought a harness type lead so we were sure not to yank on his neck.
Hopefully it's a puppy thing and will get better with time. For us, he gradually got better and better. While we still have a few random stop and sits along the walk now, we can go almost 4 miles without any problem now!
good luck!
Darcie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts