Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, :wavey:

Little Frankie has just about lost all of his baby teeth, but there is one tooth that seems to be causing him some pain, an incisor. It looks like the incoming incisor tooth is coming out a little in front of the little one instead of directly underneath it (if that makes any sense). Normally we'd notice a loose tooth, and within a day or two it would be gone. This little tooth has been wiggling around for a week now, and even appears to be turning black. Is that normal?? Almost seems like it's stuck. We've been playing tug with him to try and help him lose it and we also give him frozen dish rags and lots of ice cubes to help with the pain. I've been tempted to pull it out myself but wouldn't want to hurt him. Plus he paws at it if you try and touch the area and gives you a face like :no:. Any suggestions?

677 Posts
If the tooth is turning dark, I would get a vet to look at it or you may be dealing with an abscess.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Normally I would say, give him a bone to chew, but if it is behind the new tooth that likely wouldn't work. Going to the vet to get it yanked is your best bet at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. The vet is down the block. Maybe I'll see if they can take a quick look at it.

·
16,000 Posts
Are you sure it is an incisor rather than a canine? Retained baby canines are very common, and nearly always come out as the adult canine completely comes in.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I would just let nature take it's course - I think the tooth will come out on its own...if it doesn't in 2 more weeks then I would take a trip to the vet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll never believe this..actually it's not really that far fetched, but it came out while we were on a walk. He pulled it out on his own with a little help from his trusty leash. I guess pulling on that thing has a purpose after all. Oh well...that closes this case

P.S. If the canine teeth are the ones on top, then you are right...sorry I alway referred to them as needle teeth ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Glad it all "worked itself out" It isn't unusual for the teeth to turn black just before they fall out. Both of my dogs did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts