Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday the 67 ear old very active lady that sits behind us in our small church was walking her daughter's dog when 3 pit bulls came at them. They knowned her down breaking her hip and scrapes and bruises. She dropped the leash and her daughter's dog got away and to safety and people came to the lady's aid. She was in shock and not sure how the dogs were chased off. I talked to her hsuband today and he said they still have not deterined if they wre strays or somebody's dogs got out. A lady on my Great Pyr group was walking her 9 month old Pyr 2 weeks ago when she was attackec by a pit bull. It got her arm prtty bad. Her pup triefd to defend her, but the pit ripped it's throat so bad and got that main vein and it bled to death. Most hre know that Princess Jewel and I wre attacked last Feb by two that got out of the yard 5 houses around the bend from us, and last Dec. I was attacked by one that was chained in their front yard 3 houss down from us and it attacked me as I walked home from the mailbox.

Something is going to have to be done. The layd on the Pyr board is terrified to walk her remaining two pyrs--alwasy walked the 3 one t a tim--and I am scared to walk Princess Jewel. Nobdy should be scared to walk theri dogs in theri own neighborhood. And Texas has some might screwy laws.l Those two that attacked Jewel and I could have been returned to the owners if they ahd paid all theri fines and tickets and for the 10 days hold--they did not have rabis vax nor city tags, so were held. But bcaue they didn't hvae the money to pay for the hold, the dogs were put down. This from the animal control.

Here in Txas you can shot a dog or any animal that is attacking your dog or livstock andit is legal. BUT if you a shot a dog attacking you, you can be in trouble for firing a firearm in the city limits, and cruelty to animals. That needs to be changed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am so sorry to hear these horrible stories. I have been scared of this for a while and I am very fortunate to be in an area with no strays or dogs like that where I live. I think it just comes down to irresponsible owners which I hate. I think pitbulls can be good companions and many of my friends have them and have spent the time to train them and they are great dogs. Knowing my dog, I would never bring him around them because they have too much energy for Leo and I am lucky that most pitbull owners here always respect and keep their dogs away on walks. I think laws need to be made and enforced for people that do not put in the time to have such a demanding dog and are careless. My parents neighbors had a bull mastiff and a pittie mix. These dogs were never walked they were never taken out to play and were just kept in the backyard that was fenced and they had a electric collars. One day they had a party and were drinking alcohol and let the dogs out without a collar and our neighbor was walking his little maltese they went and attacked both the owner and the dog. My parents had to run out and help the man and try to get the dogs off the poor dog. Thankfully they were both okay with minor lacerations but that kind of thing is just not acceptable. The dog that attacked the most had to be put down and the other was let go with a fine. Its just ridiculous that people think that having a dog means having them housed all day and that letting them out in the backyard is good enough.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I agree with you. It is in the nature of a Golden to Retrieve, a cattle dog to herd and a pit bull to fight. Not all Goldens retrieve and some pit bulls may be nice, but it's still in there. Someone just moved into our neighborhood with 3 pit bulls and nothing but an invisible electric fence to contain them so I will no longer walk that way with Rukie. My daughter used to come up and walk with her baby in the stroller and I asked her to quit going anywhere near there. Personally, I would never trust one no matter how nicely they are raised.

·
Read Only
127 Posts
I would honestly be carrying a hammer in a back pack or some other form of self defense with me if I knew there where dangerous dogs around. I would have no issue at all with killing a dog if it attacked me or my dog. If they wanted to fine me for defending myself or my dog they could go right ahead. I would accept the fine over the loss of my companion. I hate irresponsible dog owners they should not be allowed to have dogs.

·
3 goldens
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought pepper spray but am scared that for some reason it might now spray. Not long ago I read of an attack, the dog was sprayed with pepper spray but that didjn't stop it. When those dogs wre attacking Princess Jewelo, 3 of us were b eaing on them--one buy with a board and it even broke-- but they woudl not stop the attack. The guy's wife had called 911 and the police arrived almost at once. They got ropes on the pits and got them off PJ. She was in hospital 3 days and hr left eye is permanently damaged--5 punctures around and eyelid split. I know the one that bit me was not intending to bit me./ I was standing there talking toDian with my hand on PJ's neck to back into her garage--the first pit had come around the corner, sniffed on her and went on into the yard. But then the 2ed one came around the cornber, went for her neck and bot my hand, cutting it ot the bone, puncture all along my little finger and side of my hand and breaking my ring finger where it joins my hand.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
The neighborhood where I last lived was starting to be like this. I walked with both pepper spray and a golf club. There were laws but poorly enforced. And the pound/animal control was overwhelmed with poorly bred pits.
I must admit it was hard to leave my home of 35 yrs but out here in a small town, it's like going back to the 1950's. I've been walking my pups for 4 years and only had one little fuzz ball that wasn't contained and the owners were quick to gather the little dog up. Gratefully it was all noise and stopped barking once we passed his domain.
The down side to this peace is there is no animal control to speak of, people shoot strays if they are causing problems. Maybe knowing this is the reason people are better about containing their dogs?? LOL the NRA is alive and well in rural TX.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It has been many years since I've left home without a handgun. Stories like these are part of the reason.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,438 Posts
I live close to the largest Military Base on the E Coast. There is a lot of active duty and retired Military in this area, they all carry. My State is a concealed carry State.

If you want to try to change your laws, contact your City/Town Council members, attend Council meetings. It would be to your advantage to have documented incidents and police reports when you contact Council members and/or attend meetings.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I totally agree! After having read your story of you and princess Jewel being attacked, I can’t believe there was even a question as to putting those pit bulls down! I’m all for pit bull bans, or at least maybe having to have a permit to own one (and being subject to strict punishment if the pit is ever off leash or running at large off your property, and any hint of aggression put it down.) I don’t care how much you tell me “it’s all I’m how they’re raised” or “blame the deed not the breed” or “pit bulls are sweet nanny dogs” or any other such bologna. Goldens retrieve because it’s an instinct bred into them. Border collies herd because it’s an instinct bred into them. Pit bulls attack because it’s an instinct bred into them. I’m blessed to live in a rural area and have never had to worry about pits so far. But, my Autumn was attacked by an off leash one at a campground with leash laws-she never even knew it existed until it was grabbing her neck. It’s not a breed I’m willing to take a chance with-especially if it came from a shelter or rescue because it’s background is unknown. We ride our horses at a park that allows dogs off leash on the trails. It’s near the city so lots of city folks bring their not adequately trained dogs and let them run off leash. I never took my dogs-not because they weren’t trained well enough to be off leash-but because other people’s dogs were not trained well enough. A pit bull once came running up behind our horses barking and biting at them. Our horses are used to dogs being around them so they behaved well, but other riders could have been seriously hurt if their horses were spooked. And the pit bull was of course totally ignoring the owner. Lucky for the pit bull our horses are so nice-too nice-I kinda wish that the horses had given it a good kick! The dog deserved it running up on them and biting at their hind legs and tails!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,438 Posts
I’m all for pit bull bans,
Most of the towns in my area have breed bans which includes Pit Bulls and the Property Management Companies that manage rentals, most of the properties do not allow Pit Bulls.

The Military Base in my area has a list of dogs that are banned on the base, pit bulls are one of the breeds.

·
3 goldens
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The people that owned the pits live 5 houses down from us. The cops told them they were responsible for all money I was out---I have that on the video from their body cam. I sent them a bill and never heard a word. I then sent them a registared letter telling them I would take them to small claims court--not a word. Never once did they come and apologize or see how Princess Jewel and I were doing. We are on social securiyt and my vet gave me a big break. But she was there for 3 days, on heavy duty antibiotics, wound care, etc. I had co pay of $20 every time I went to the specialoist, plus the $50 copay at the Er. We are out about $800 and it isn't right for us to be out that money. The peopel own their house but their home owners insurance does not cover dog bites. A lawyr checked that out for me and once he knew there was no insurance, they firm ould not take my case. But he was nice enough to give me a copy of the letter from their insurance. I did not ask for one penny more than we were out. I had weeks of worry if I would end up with an infection---I have diabetes and a dog bite is one of the worst things that could happen and my had was sliced to the bone. I didn't worry about them having rabies even tho they had not had rabies vax. Everyone kept telling me I should sue for the trauma, the pain, the worry, etc, but I said no, just what we were out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts