Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last Friday evening it was a rainy day and went to get some wood for the fireplace. As soon as I stepped in the garage an intense barking commenced. This puppy, no collar, was hidden under my car and was defending my engine... from me!

Five to six minutes of encouragement later, he crawled out, shaking like a leaf.

A week later he is sleeping right by me as I write this!!

On Monday, I took him to the vet and said that his nose has some genetic disorder but other wise he is fine. This disorder may create future problems in his nose diaphragm development he said but couldn't tell me for sure.

He also said that he looks like a golden retriever (which brought me here) but looks quite large. Age estimate was 12 weeks.

Interested to see as to what breed he is and if anyone has had any experience with genetic problems in dogs, especially the nostrils.

Some puppy tips (feeding time, exercise time per day, grooming?) and basically anything that I should NOT be doing.

Thank you in advance.

P.S Still no name...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
aww he is cute. And I like his not so perfect - yet full of personality nose.

Looks like a golden to me. He should be sleeping a lot at this age, I would go by what your vet or one of our expert puppy people say for feeding. Love him and hug him. They are super smart so lots of toys.

Roody would be cute name. Thank you for loving and keeping him. Looks like he knew where to go.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
What a beautiful little boy you have there and thank you for keeping him.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
He is so cute i wonder where he came from and i love the nose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roody would be cute name. Thank you for loving and keeping him. Looks like he knew where to go.
You can't believe how true this is... I feel adopted by this guy...

He is a cutie! Thanks for taking care of him. I can't tell from the picture what's wrong with his nose. Am I crazy, or are his nostrils on top?
I don't think they are on top, it's just that the upper part of the nose is underdeveloped/non-existent.

The thing is, I myself do not have a fixed schedule (sleep, eat etc) as I am home most of the time and work around the clock. This was the only reason I hadn't bought a Golden Retriever (yes it is my favourite breed alongside German Shepherds) in the first place.

The coincidences were too many to ignore... I kept hearing a voice in my head shouting "CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGNS"?

I felt like the little boy in "The Secret" who got a bicycle just by wishing for it one time.... strange...

So, how important is it to keep his nature schedule strict? I read somewhere that routine is important.

Thank you all for your nice words.

·
Registered
774 Posts
He is very cute! I have an 11 week old and comparing sizes, yours looks a bit smaller. Hard to tell, though, but in the first photo with your hand he does look smaller than mine.

Congrats! He has chosen you, for sure.

Kris

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I'd feed him three times a day...

I'd take him outside frequently and make a good fuss when he does his business...

Keep a close eye on him inside to make sure he doesn't get into anything - puppy proof your house or at least the room you keep him in. A crate might be in order.

Try and catch him right away when he starts to pee / poop inside...stop him with a gentle aaaah take him outside and again when he does finish make a big deal out of it.

Let him know what he can chew on and what's off limits

When he gets into off limit items a gentle aaaaah then give him a toy / bone and praise him.

I think a schedule is good...food, walk, outside time, play time and so on...

Hope this helps & thanks for saving the little guy!!!

Pete

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Be sure he's calmly exposed to LOTS of PEOPLE and EXPEIENCES. This little guy needs heaps of socialization to help him come around and not grow up to be a barking/lunging/nipping adult version of himself. If you can find a well run class, I'd do that, too.

Good luck! He's super cute!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
The first name that came to mind was "Forrest". He is so sweet - and definitely all Golden Retriever! Thank you for saving him and I sure hope that you stick around here to keep us update as he grows. With that said, welcome to the forum! You can find a ton of information under the "Puppy" section, and if there are any other questions that pop up, feel free to ask away!

Have you asked at the shelter if anyone is missing a dog? He may be microchipped if he didn't have a collar on. I hope you get to keep him, it was very responsible of you to take him to the vet and then to come here looking for advice too :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd feed him three times a day...

I'd take him outside frequently and make a good fuss when he does his business...

Keep a close eye on him inside to make sure he doesn't get into anything - puppy proof your house or at least the room you keep him in. A crate might be in order.

Try and catch him right away when he starts to pee / poop inside...stop him with a gentle aaaah take him outside and again when he does finish make a big deal out of it.

Let him know what he can chew on and what's off limits

When he gets into off limit items a gentle aaaaah then give him a toy / bone and praise him.

I think a schedule is good...food, walk, outside time, play time and so on...

Hope this helps & thanks for saving the little guy!!!

Pete
Thank you for the advice Pete,

It would seem I am not doing bad so far... I do feed him 3 times a day the total daily portion that is written on the sac (SciencePlan for large breed puppies [260g/day])

The hours I have been feeding him are 1100, 1530, 2100.

Today at 1530 right after he ate he went 3m away from his bowl and pooped. The first 3-4 days he hadn't peed nor pooped in the house, so I am guessing that it's my fault for not remembering what times I have been taking him outside at first...

How often do they need to go?

Right now he is sleeping again after one and a half hour walk and 10 minute play at home... he was exhausted.... (is there such a thing as overdoing it with the exercise? at this tender age?) Should I take him outside as soon as he wakes up?

Again thank you.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think you're supposed to take them out after they wake up and after they eat. And I don't know...an hour and a half walk might be a little much for a 12 week old.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I asked my vet that question years ago when my first Golden was a pup - and he said she'll let you know when she's had enough.

I was walking her out in the woods one day - a particullary long walk and she just stopped - she was fine she'd just had enough - so I just picked her up and carried her back to the car.

They'll let you know...

Sounds like you've got it under control...

Pete

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and it sure appears that you've been chosen by a cute little golden guy. To answer your questions, they need to go out immediately after sleeping, after a good play session, after eating, which usually translates to every hour at this age. You don't want to give him the opportunity to eliminate in the house because then it just takes longer to get the training right. If you can't watch him every minute, a crate would be a great training tool and keep him safe in the house.

As for exercise, yes, you can overdo it with a puppy, and an hour and a half sounds like way too much for a little guy his age. Playing in the yard, going on short walks at his pace, not yours, playing in the house are all appropriate exercise. You don't want to stress a growing puppy's joints, which you can do by going too far or being on hard surfaces at a brisk pace. Use your walks as training time so he's great on a leash as he grows up. Congratulations again on your new family member!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so much. It's not a surprise to get such kind responses from dog lovers.

I will continue to ask questions...

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking this cute little guy under your wing. Take him out as often as you can stand it while he is young. The more often he can get it right the quicker he will learn.

Keep the pictures coming.

·
Kristy
9,936 Posts
I second the idea of a crate if he's going to be with you long term. How crazy is your work schedule? I bet that he'll adapt if can try to be consistent with the majority of things you do with him. You might find that working out a bit of a schedule for him will help ground you too :)

I also agree that extra work with socializing and a puppy class now might save you a lot of heartache down the road. Good luck... I think you are going to have a blast!

I love the name - Karma...... since that's obviously what you two have :)

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
What a precious little guy!! Based on your story so far, I would name him "Lucky" - and I'm not kidding :)

His nose is interesting - it almost looks like a cleft palette? Never seen anything like that on a dog - I'm sure he will live a long and happy life regardless! I wonder if that is why he was dumped!? Oh well - their loss, your gain :) Stick around, I'm sure this little guy will capture a lot of hearts around here and we'll want to watch him grow!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts