Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I started this thread after posting my question on a stale thread that perhaps may not be viewed any more. Karma - the larger and crazier of my two girls has in the past few months seemed to have found either a protective or fearful attitude - I say that because she is a big dog and a big baby @ 19 months old - I don't want to be wordy but I want to describe the issues so someone who has similar issues can comment - when I walk Karma, alone, she will see a person, dog, trailer, or nothing at all for that matter and sit or lie down because she is afraid - other times she gets close to other people or dogs and growls or barks at them. We are afraid she is going to hurt someone or their dog. Anyone else have this behavior?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
When you say 'alone' do you mean by yourself or without the other dog?

What body language does she exhibit when she growls at people/dogs?

Dogs have a complicated oral/body language so it helps to have a few more details.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both - she sometimes bends down in front like she's bowing, sometimes the hair on her neck stands up (fear I guess) but she will often retreat a little with other people and very often will bet between my legs - that cracks me up.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
How much socializing did she get as a pup? Now? She may just not be used to meeting people/strange situations and not know how to deal with them. I would take her to somewhere busy where there isn't going to be a lot of attention given to her, like a bike path where there are lots of joggers/runners who aren't going to stop and just go by, and then let her get used to things. I like bike paths because the people usually tend to just keep going and you can sit off of the path if she's not confortable being too close. Build up to walking along a fenced playground where there are kids that can't get to her but are there, shopping center entrances and so on.

If you have people who want to meet her just say she's in training and ask them to ignore her for now too, it might help her. If she starts to figure out that not everyone wants to be in her face, she might start to become more interested in them.

Lana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts