Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it an age thing? In the last 6 weeks, Wrigley has no interest whatsoever in finishing a meal. It corresponded with him turning 7 months old. He went from being able to finish a meal in about 15 minutes, to him sniffing a little, eating a few nibbles and then not being interested. And he could care less if we take it up and not give it back. Seriously, this dog would subsist of treats and water only if we let him.

When this first started, we had him checked out and he had Giardia, but he's been treated and has a clean bill of health for the last 2 weeks.

Oh, but put treats out, he's all over those like a bad smell. Even before and when he had Giardia. I've ceased giving him treats for the time being.

The vet seems to think that he's starting to transition to being a big boy and we should start feeding him once a day. But my issue there is that the food will end up sitting there for a couple hours because he just nibbles and goes about the house ...

it's frustrating!!!! Anyone else go through this finicky eating stuff? He just doesn't seem focused enough to eat.

Of course the husband thinks I'm screwing the dog up for life.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
A couple of days ago, I met a guy with an 8 year old golden. He told me that his dog didn't like to eat! He went on to tell me that this started when the dog was young, and he began to put gravy on the food, etc.. just to entice the dog to eat.

Anyway, he said he regretted all of that and said he should have just waited the dog out by putting the kibble down for 15 minutes or so and then taking it away. As long as the dog is healty, he won't starve himself to death.

I don't have any direct experience since Cookie would eat until she burst, but I hope my story helps you. :)

·
gone
1,443 Posts
The vet seems to think that he's starting to transition to being a big boy and we should start feeding him once a day. But my issue there is that the food will end up sitting there for a couple hours because he just nibbles and goes about the house ...
We went from feeding Bayne 3 x a day at 6 months to twice a day, and that's where it will stay. Feeding once a day seems to be unfair to let him go hungry for 24 hour stretches, I even don't like 12 hour stretches, so I feed at 9 a.m. and 6 p.m... As for the finicky eating? I was told to never switch his food around, always stick with the same food. I see it with the cats when I switched their food they started showing preferences and I had to just let them get hungry enough to eat their normal food.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went from feeding Bayne 3 x a day at 6 months to twice a day, and that's where it will stay. Feeding once a day seems to be unfair to let him go hungry for 24 hour stretches, I even don't like 12 hour stretches, so I feed at 9 a.m. and 6 p.m... As for the finicky eating? I was told to never switch his food around, always stick with the same food. I see it with the cats when I switched their food they started showing preferences and I had to just let them get hungry enough to eat their normal food.
We were feeding him twice a day and that's when the boycotting started ... I don't know ... It's frustrating.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Mine is not a good eater either. If he looks healthy and it acting normal I wouldn't worry about--he probably doesn't need as much food as you are giving him. I was putting food up with limited success myself. Since I only have one dog, I finally resorted to free feeding her--although I am generally against free feeding. She's a scrawny thing though and I have had difficulty putting weight on her. If she ever did gain weight I would stop.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
On the main discussion I just posted that all of our GR's have been free-fed. I guess that I have been lucky because they all ate when they wanted and were a nice normal weight with plenty of energy.

Nugget has just turned one year old and he tends to eat when we do. It's "pack mentality". When we sit down to eat he chows down. He stops eating when he has had enough even though there is plenty of food left in the bowl.. Our vet has no problem with that. He's nice and muscular and isn't fat.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I wish I could free feed Bayne but I think my one cat would go after his food since he loves the big kibble, Maine **** food is large, forces them to chew their food since they tend to just gulp and swallow. Bayne did go through a stage around 7 months where he wasn't eating all his food and his excitement to eat was minimal, this lasted about 3 weeks and then he went back to normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
may be he doesn't like what you're feeding him.
i had to switch my dogs food twice because he
stopped eating.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the saga continues. Took him in for a weight check and he only put on 4 lbs this month. That's a drastic cut since he usually puts on 10+ a month ... He's 8 months old now and weighs 54 lbs. will not eat. Tried adding things ... Nope ... Stopped treats ... So what? He drinks water like a fiend. Have had to take bags of different kibble back to the store for a refund because as much as he'll take a few nibbles of his pro plan, he won't even sniff blue buffalo, eukaneuba, and whatever else I've tried. I think he's eaten one cup of food this week total. The vet is doing pee/poo/blood work ... We'll know more tomorrow. She felt all over his gut for anything unusual ... He loved it.

Sigh

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady did the same this at that age, that is when I decreased his food from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. I remember thinking he was sick too - but no - it was just his age.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Well, the saga continues. Took him in for a weight check and he only put on 4 lbs this month. That's a drastic cut since he usually puts on 10+ a month ... He's 8 months old now and weighs 54 lbs. will not eat. Tried adding things ... Nope ... Stopped treats ... So what? He drinks water like a fiend. Have had to take bags of different kibble back to the store for a refund because as much as he'll take a few nibbles of his pro plan, he won't even sniff blue buffalo, eukaneuba, and whatever else I've tried. I think he's eaten one cup of food this week total. The vet is doing pee/poo/blood work ... We'll know more tomorrow. She felt all over his gut for anything unusual ... He loved it.

Sigh
Ok, sounds like there is more going on.

First question, do you have a cat litter box? Sometimes they will fill up on the treats they find in there.

My GSD was a very fussy eater, and was skin and bones. Bloodwork showed nothing wrong. It wasn't until he was 4 that he started to fill out and/or I found a food he liked. I too was constantly trying new foods. I also started giving him Prozyme and I think that helped.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy has REALLY slowed down the weight gain too lately. He's 8 months and only about 56 pounds. He still eats plenty but he's just not gaining a lot. I think he'll keep gaining a little for awhile as he fills out but he's really slowed down.

If your guy will eat treats but not his food it sounds to me like it's more an issue of what your feeding him.

It's funny how we worry about our guys. I actually worry about the opposite issues...Ozzy will eat until he explodes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cat litter box is in the basement where he doesn't go, ever.

We will find out tomorrow what the test results are. Fingers crossed that he is just being a PITA.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we free feed moose.. should i not be ? he usually only eats when he wants to.. and its usually maybe in the morning and late afternoon.. he might have little nibbles inbetween but thats all..

·
Registered
639 Posts
we free feed moose.. should i not be ? he usually only eats when he wants to.. and its usually maybe in the morning and late afternoon.. he might have little nibbles inbetween but thats all..
I think it's fine if your dog won't over eat. Ozzy would never stop if I free fed him.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
That is what I had to do with my dog too that wouldn't eat.

The goldens - well that is another story. MacKenzie is always hungry.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Bayne is almost a year and I believe he's only at 65- 70 lbs, he's very slim but I don't see his ribs just feel them beneath skin. I have trouble taking him in the truck by myself and our back crew cab isn't big enough for a crate.... we have a harness we bought just for the car but since he is a Houdini he got out of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts