Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Strange Anxiety in 11 month old

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Charliethree 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, first poster here! I hope this is new content...

We just adopted my puppy (11 months old, turns One in April) Luke from a golden rescue (if you are interested in goldens in the DFW area let me know! :)) He is precious, except he is a little quirky.

At night, usually around 2-3 am and every hour or so after that he will get one of his toys in his mouth and come up to the side of our beds and jumps up and paws us while whining. He will continue to pace and whine with his toy in his mouth and every so often jump on the bed and sit on our heads or behind our heads and constantly whine.

It is not a bathroom thing (sometimes he will go outside and use the restroom but will continue his whining afterwards).

It is like he is having panic attacks at night. He was a stray, we were not sure that that might affect something.

Please help! We prefer all-natural remedies if possible, but have had to give anti-anxiety meds to our old retriever during thunderstorms...so it is a last resort.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bless you for rescuing! It is going to take some time for Luke to settle in. His whining and inability to settle down, is likely a result of anxiety/stress because of the new (and fortunate) turn his life has taken. Rescue Remedy is a natural calming medication that can help to settle him. A DAP (dog appeasing pheromones) collar or diffuser can also help. But mostly he just needs to to adjust to his new family and home. If he enjoys being petted, slow, gentle long strokes, or massage can help to settle him as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.