Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Stormy Point Goldens, Nancy Cameron

13104 14
Well, if you read my other post, the update is that we decided to find another dog. My husband really feels strongly about getting a male. Anyway, I've actually had MUCH more luck this time then I did when I found my initial litter in November. We have what looks like 2 good options, both have boys who would be coming home Jan. 23ish. (Funny thing is that the 24th is my b-day.)

The first is Stormy Point Goldens out of Fredericksburg, VA: http://stormypointgoldens.com/index.html. We would be getting in Teddy/Kathy boy. She was recommended by a breeder in NC.

The other one doesn't have a website or anything because she only breeds every few years. The K9data for the litter is: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=350821.She said she has more 'field type dogs'. Mom is a deep red and dad is very light. She was recommended by the Potomac Valley GRC.

What we are looking for: a family pet who might be good at agility and obedience-something I'd like to pursue more with this dog. We like the big boned, big, blocky head look with a good, thick coat. However, our #1 and 2 issues are health and temperament.

Thoughts? We go to visit both on Friday. Thanks!!!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that your "field" type goldens tend to have high energy drives and need a LOT of exercise and activity to keep them mentally stimulated. They tend to be smaller and not at all like those Goldens that are now being shown in breed with the "blocky" heads. If you prefer a dog that is calmer at home and easier to live with I would steer away from the field Goldens.
It all depends upon what your preferences are and how much time you have to devote to tiring your pup with activities.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Oop...I shouldn't have generalized...rather should have said that in my personal experience, the "field" Goldens I have met have tended to be more high drive and smaller than the conformation bred Goldens. I show in obedience and have friends with both types and the "fieldies" are the ones that seemingly can't get enough work and are always wanting more...not necessarily a bad thing. I, also have one friend with a completely high strung conformation bred Golden, but she is really the exception to the dogs I know.
I am in the process of looking for a third Golden to show in obedience, rally, possibly tracking and have been researching different breeders and types of Goldens and it really does depend on what your main goals are in choosing a Golden breeder. I am looking for a willing to work, active Golden but also one that can easily live in my home. Any young dog is going to need time committment for training and exercise.
One thing I would do is ask the breeder for contacts so you can ask owners of the breeder's dogs about their experiences, not only with the breeder but also with their dogs. I have found this to be a helpful part of the process.
Best of luck in your decision in finding a Golden!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.