Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Robbie and my husband both had a bad night up with high winds and noise all night. I was sleeping in guest room which is quieter but still got woke up a lot myself.

This morning I took over so hubby could nap and Robbie who normally is starving for breakfast at 7 still hasn't wanted any and its 9:30am. He just walked in his crate and put himself to sleep.

I am hoping its just because they both didn't sleep well. My husband was worried about neighbors tree branches hitting our house and I wonder if puppy can pick up his upset?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Storms can upset dogs. I have had a number of dogs over the years which have been terribly afraid of storms and the thunder, lightning and wind which go with them. It generally has taken them about a day to recover after serious storms. I wouldn't worry too much about Robbie not eating today. I suspect he is recovering from last night's storms. Continue to offer food throughout the day, he will probably eat later in the day. Hopefully you will have a much quieter night tonight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, he is still sleeping, unfortunately even higher winds starting later this afternoon lasting until tomorrow afternoon.

If you have seen west coast storms on weather reports, we are in the middle of that.

Just haven't had a dog in over 20 yrs so getting used to one again.

Luckily for some reason on coast we don't get hardly any thunder and lightning like the mountains, just high winds and tree branch noise.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If the problem conines with Robbie you might want to try some of the calming products on the market. I have used "thunder shirts" for my dogs. The idea behind these is that they wrap tightly around the dog and they help to keep it calm. The other product I have used and have had amazing success with is Sentry Good Behavior Calming ointment. It is an ointment that allows you to place a small amount on the dogs nose. It contains pheromones which help calm the dog. I have a dog which was abused before we got him. He had been tied to a tree and shot at (among other things) and, as a result, was deathly afraid of loud noises. He would hide and shake for hours after the noise had passed (noise being a storm, gunshots from hunting or fireworks). I was very skeptical about the product but tried it. It worked extremely well and last summer that dog was able to calmly watch fireworks from our dock on the 4th of July. The only drawback with both of these products is that they work best if they are put on before the noise begins. Anyway it is an option should Robbie continue to have issues. I hope the winds are not as bad later on today as they were yesterday. I know it can be hard but it sounds like Robbie is lucky to have an owner who is concerned about his well being. Thank you for that. Good luck later today!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts