Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam has been having diarrhea for the past weekend. He's totally house-broke, and he would bark to wake us up to go out. Saturday, he woke us at 6ish am; Sunday, he barked at 7am.

I gave him some medicines, and it seems working.

However, this morning, he barked again at 7am. We went out, he peed, and that's it! It's a good sign about no more diarrhea, but I am afraid he picked up the message, bark = go out! :doh:

I can't really just ignore him. Barking at 7am in an apartment building will cause a lot of complaints. Plus, DH works till late hours, and would love to have a quiet moment on weekend mornings.

Does any one have suggestion about what I should/can do to stop him waking us up just to go out and walk, instead of going to do his business?

·
Nicole
227 Posts
I would be so happy if my pups ever slept past 5:30 or 6:00!:D
it's hard to break the routine 2 days out of 7, sorry no advice, i think i've tried everything. now i just let them out back on nice days and go back to bed for an hour.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This is our routine, too. Yes, it is annoying... I lay on the couch and they do settle. When the pup was really young they had to play, get tired and have another potty break before going back to sleep. .. It is important for them to stay on schedule for training. This too shall pass. Be sure to have them in a safe place if you want to go back to sleep.. crate, pen, etc. Baffling the things they get into! You will be amazed ( and saddened ) to realize just how fast your baby will grow up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lily gets up at 5:15 - 5:30 am every day. And its not even about the bathroom! She will often wake up and just want to hang out and play (sometimes for 30-45 minutes!) before she has to go to the bathroom. She lets us know she is awake with a single bark from her crate - although I am up at that time during the week anyway.

It is so painful on the weekends... I really feel your pain. Lily does usually go back to sleep around 8:30 - 9:00 am (when we usually leave for work), so I often take a morning nap then on Saturdays or Sundays.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi If I were you next time Lily barks (and I only say this as you have stated that she doesent need the bathroom) wait 10 mins before you go down then rather than play take her out regardless of weather she is asking to or not let her back in and go back to bed for an hour and ignore any barking, she will soon learn my only concern is I didnt see how old she is.
Honey goes out 10.30-11.00pm then 8am she is 11 months.
I am sure others will have other opinions you need to go with what you feel is right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have a 6am wake up call 7 days a week courtesy of my Dusty. My babies have always been really good about going back to sleep until the alpha dog (my husband) wakes up even when they were puppies. Occasionally they would have to be placed in the kitchen with their baby gates. Now, however Dusty knows that on the weekends only & after his 6am morning potty he gets to cuddle with his mommy in the bed and falls back to sleep until we all get up. Its actually kinda cute. I consider it a good thing. Since we got him I have never been late for work...he makes sure I get up...(he can be persistent when he REALLY has to go)

This worked with Dusty when he was a puppy & tried to get "bark" = outside any time I want....We placed a bell that hung from the door so that he could tap it with his nose. Any time we went out for a potty trip we would ring the bell and say go potty. Eventually he understood "ring bell" = potty and we would let him out...as he got older he replaced the bell with a good deep 1 time bark while seated at the door.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Dudu used to bark 10-20 min before his meal time in the morning (he gets fed at 6:30) when he was about 5 months old, we thought this was going to be a daily routine form then onwards, but he kinda grew out of it after 2 weeks.

I now think it might be a reminder from him to us that it is almost his meal time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi Samchu Mammy, my puppy get diarrhea as well . it has been a week since the first day i took him home from the pet shop. i was so desperate... dunno what to do. i give him a medicine, but it doesn't work. he is vomiting as well.

May i know what kind of medicine that u gave to ur dog when he got diarrhea? may be i can have a try.

Thanks so much

NV

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
hi Samchu Mammy, my puppy get diarrhea as well . it has been a week since the first day i took him home from the pet shop. i was so desperate... dunno what to do. i give him a medicine, but it doesn't work. he is vomiting as well.

May i know what kind of medicine that u gave to ur dog when he got diarrhea? may be i can have a try.

Thanks so much

NV
What does the vet say?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks so much

NV
NV, this is what I got for Sam:
http://www.petco.com/product/4145/Lambert-Kay-Pet-Pectillin-Diarrhea-Medication-for-Dogs-Cats-and-Birds.aspx

The product said he should stop after 2-3 days, and today is his 3rd day. Haven't seen big improvement, but did helped a bit.

If your puppy has been having serious diarrhea for a week, you should take him/her to the vet! Dogs get dehydrated for 6 days, and might be in more serious illness.

Hopefully Sam will be better by the end of today, otherwise, I am taking him to the Vet tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts