Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 month old golden named Finn and he is doing pretty good I'd say for 3 months, he knows Sit, bt doesn't always sit when told of course but mostly he does. But one new habit he has that I can't seem to stop him from doing is jumping up to te kitchen counters and literally stealing like the wash cloth or towels. I push him off tell him no, and to stay down, still does it. I have even gotten to the point I tap him on the butt to tell him no but still no difference. Does the same thing on the couch and beds. Any tips for this? Also have a similar issue with me when I go and sit on the floor with him he thinks its always time to wrestle so he will attack me growl and just try to play, I tell him No, yell no at him, tap him on the nose and butt still nothing, I grab his mouth and hold it shut still nothing, any ideas on how to break him of this too? Thank you all so much for the help, just wish he would listen better to me but I do understand he is only 3 months so maybe I am just eager to get him trained better and on the right track not the wrong one before he gets too big and thinks he can jump and bite like this. Also forgot this there is also like little drops of pee that must dry up on my floor after he pees is this normal? I know he is still young so I figured it was because of that and/or because he isn't fixed yet. Is that possibly true or just meet trying to come up with an explanation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would make jumping up on counters boring for him. If he grabs towels and wash cloths, don't leave them out for him to grab. Leave literally nothing he can grab on counters or tables. Better yet, keep a drag line on him and keep him away from those surfaces in the first place. Is there a specific reason he has to be in the kitchen? Like is his water bowl in there? You could also put a baby gate up and simply keep him out of the kitchen and away from the counters so that he can't practice the wrong behavior and get rewarded for doing it. If it were me, I would redirect him when he seems to be interested in the counters. Call him to you, ask him to sit, ask him to touch, whatever commands he knows. Just have him do something appropriate that you can reward him for rather than correcting him for the wrong behavior. Counter surfing is an extremely self-rewarding behavior for dogs, so you have to prevent it and give him an appropriate behavior to do instead.

If he thinks it's time to wrestle when you sit on the floor, and you don't want to wrestle, don't sit on the floor! It's as simple as that. Getting aggressive with him won't change anything, and it may make him think you are in fact playing back. Or it will make him think you are unpredictable and not trustworthy.

Reactions: Lauriem9367

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
Best advice: remove the items. This is a self rewarding behavior and you won't win with what you are doing.

Funny story: I rigged mouse traps on the table and counter (made them safe first, just wanted the loud noise). Well this was like Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. I ended up forgetting and setting off the traps myself while my son laughed at me.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Have you tried a puppy obedience class that emphasizes positive rewards? I have found positively rewarding behaviors you want really helps get obedient responses. Yelling no doesn't teach the dog anything, instead tell him what you want him to do and reward it. Rukie used to sit by the chair and beg which bothers my husband so we taught him to go to his bed in the family room and then gave him a bite of what we had. After repeating this he now knows to go to his spot when he wants us to share with him. Teach him to sit in a certain spot in the kitchen and give him a reward. Please don't tap him for misbehavior he will learn to fear your touch and it does not teach him what you want him to be doing. Type puppy biting in the search box here, there are tons of threads with good advice. Hang in there--he's just a baby with no clue what you want him to do so patiently train him. Best wishes.

Reactions: Lauriem9367
1 - 5 of 5 Posts