Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Chester only recently starting killing his toys. It seems like he is finding every stuffed toy that he has and making sure he kills it. We have thrown so many out.

The good thing is that he has lots of bones/balls/kongs/and other stuffless toys. But I'm gonna have to start buying more durable plush toys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the exact same problem! I hate it sooooo much! Buster has this really weird habit of chewin the eyes out of his babies... We joke that he really wants to be a seeing eye dog.
But after we got Kingston, things got worse! They play tug-of-war and seem to rip off all the limbs on purpose.
At all the pet stores they have toys that claim to be "indestructable," but they are all quite expensive, and definetly not indestructable.
My boys seem to really like TredHeadz Roadkill toys. Thhey seem to last for a while, and needless to say they are hilariously adorable. I would recommend them even though it doesnt look very durable. I dont know how well other dogs like them, but they are certainly my boys' favorite.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Once Brooks discovered toys have fun stuff inside like stuffing and squeakers, no toy has lasted (well of the type he likes, which are toys with stuffing and squeakers!!). So, I don't really enjoy buying him toys.

The hard rubber tug toys are OK if I am going to play tug, his kong is only interesting if stuffed.
So the one and only "toy" (and it isn't a toy) that he stays interested in and chews on is a femur bone. I buy them at Petsmart. The are made by Dentley's (Natural Flavor Center Cut Femur Bone). He loves them and one will last you at least a year (or more).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bill found my prior dog's rawhide and started to murder it so I got him a Nylabone Flexichew in chicken flavor. It didnt last an hour. I upgraded to the Big Bone Durachew that comes in the silver package and he doesnt give a crap about it. I think it is too hard. May have to go to the normal durachew to see if it is a happy medium.

He has a big rawhide that he simply carries from one location to the next but doesnt ever actually chew on.

I got Bill a stuffed soccer ball, he has had it a month and it only has a single small hole in it. He likes to chase inside a little and work the squeaker a bit, shake it a few times and then ignores it for a while.

I need to keep looking for toys that will interest him, once he is off the lowcal diet food I expect his energy level to spike and be a bit more into his toys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bill found my prior dog's rawhide and started to murder it so I got him a Nylabone Flexichew in chicken flavor. It didnt last an hour. I upgraded to the Big Bone Durachew that comes in the silver package and he doesnt give a crap about it. I think it is too hard. May have to go to the normal durachew to see if it is a happy medium.

Totally OT: I love that your dog's name is Bill!:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Tucker LOVES his Nylabone. We get him a new one every few months, but he can gnaw on it for hours and hours and not get any pieces off. Its great. Only issue is when he greets us he loves to have a toy in his mouth to show off..and he decides to pick that one up and it always scratches us!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Puppy= destructive
Come on lighten up, they got to have something to do with those little sharp teeth. Better a toy than you???

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Lighten up? When were we complaining? I just think its funny....
Yeah, I know but I couldn't resist. Funny about those squeaker toys. They will not rest until that squeaker is OUT OF THERE

Any protruding appendages HAVE to be removed!!!

Thankfully it is mostly a phase. Sometimes a long phase:(

It's funny but sometimes you just have to shake your head when you bring home a new toy and it doesn't last 5 minutes.:bowl:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Milly never destroys toys. Every now and then I'll have to resew one of hers if after lots of chewing the seam has ripped, but that's pretty rare. Sometimes she'll break the squeaker inside them, so I'll open them up, replace the squeaker and sew it closed. Her only destroyed toys were ones friends dogs destroyed.

Hush, on the other hand, doesn't destroy toys, she strategically murders them. Targeting their ears first, then their noses or feet, and shredding them to pieces until they are completely beyond repair. I REALLY hope she outgrows this phase. :uhoh:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing as a nondestructive pup.

WHERE DO YOU GET THEM, I WILL CANCEL MINE AND GET ONE!!!!! He hasn't gotten on the plane yet :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys are lucky. Besides toys, we had have the following ripped/torn/shreaded, you name it:

- garden hose (they actually unraveled it and then broke it)
- drywall (we have a hole in the house)
- carpet
- house alarm wires
- lazy boy chair wires
- lawn sprinkler wires

sigh.....good thing they spit it out. They just like to rip it to the smallest point possible. Nylabones Flexichew doesn't last in our house either. But it's funny...certain soft toys they won't rip...others are just road kill.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all for letting me know that I'm not alone with this! I bought a bunch of new toys for Christmas, and they have all suffered a horrific death! He also likes to take the squeeker out of them, runs around squeeking it until I look at him. He then stops squeeking them, clamps down, and gives me a very guilty look. It almost takes a crowbar to get it back!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you all for letting me know that I'm not alone with this! I bought a bunch of new toys for Christmas, and they have all suffered a horrific death! He also likes to take the squeeker out of them, runs around squeeking it until I look at him. He then stops squeeking them, clamps down, and gives me a very guilty look. It almost takes a crowbar to get it back!
Be careful he doesn’t ingest the squeaker! I’m terrified of that, internal injury and vet bills, so once I see my boy has gotten into the toy, first sign of stuffing I dig out the squeaker!

I do find the kong soft toys last a lot longer before he gets into them, a couple he has never got into. He has one he’s had for a couple months in the shape of a whale 🐋 that is really lasting. The teddy bear kong stuffed toys he does eventually kill over time.

He gets so much pleasure out of killing the cheaper toys and pulling out the stuffing I still buy them. But with these I only let him have them when supervised and as said I am hot on getting the squeaker out before he does.

I bought an indestructible toy that is genuinely still 100% intact. I’ll dig it out and post it on here for you. But interestingly Teddy really doesn’t like this toy! I think it’s because the indestructible material and harder consistency is less appealing to him. Think he prefers the soft squidgy toys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much. Yeah, I get the squeekers from him. I have a few Kong ones, and they are better. It's interesting that the only toys he hasn't destroyed are the one's he grew up with! He's turning 15 months old this month, and he's already about 75lbs. If lie back in a recliner, he'll come running up to me, jump up on me, then lie on top of me. He thinks that he's a little dog!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You might try West Paw toys. My goldens chew them and play tug with them and they are not gentle on toys. Most new toys are destroyed within a few minutes. The "mouth feel" of the West Paw toys generally appeal to both boys - they aren't ignored like the hard rubber "indestructible" toys. West Paw also has a money back guarantee.
This is a partial assortment of the West Paw toys they like.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Wood Carnivore

·
Registered
666 Posts

Above is link to the Kongs more indestructible ‘soft’ toy. That Teddy has been unable to get into but therefore less interested in it though! Probably can find in US too, maybe on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much for the recommendations. The Woozles definitely look like something he'd love to get hold on. I'm going to buy a couple and see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Bob

PS: Have a golden day too!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts