·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Last night Teddi and Quinn beheaded blue koala bear.... RIP blue bear.... LOL

Hope I never make them mad at me. :p:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to think it was universally true of goldens - that they eviscerated their stuffed toys but I've met a couple who aren't driven to do that!
My solution is to long lived stuffed toys - after they get a bit torn up, I put them in an old sock with only a head peaking out. So they can squeak them, shake them but the sock is one extra protective layer between the toy and annihilation. Lasts longer.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Dru shredded to pieced Mr. Hedgehog...who had gone through Zeke and then Cassie's puppyhoods.
As Cassie got older she became more and more destructive. Billy was always mellow.
Now that Max came home, Dru ignores the stuffies, Billy rips them apart, and Max takes out the stuffing.
Max's first toy we got him, an AKC mallard duck, is still intact...but only because I keep it away from Billy.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I can't find anything that Lincoln won't destroy. Some time ago, I had bought Austin and Lincoln this set of 3 large stuff balls with little ropes on the side. I gave them each one, which they proceeded to de-stuff within minutes. The second one last quite some time until yesterday.

Lincoln asked to go outside around 1:00 a.m. Thursday morning. I let him out and then let him back in about 20 minutes later. Of course, it was dark so I didn't notice anything unusual. I again let all 3 of them out around 6:15 (still dark) and let them back in about 20 minutes later. It wasn't until I let them out again around 8:00 that I saw what Lincoln had been up to........I opened up the garage door and all I saw was white fluff everywhere!!! It looked like it had snowed. I wish I had of taken a picture of it....all I could do was laugh. I went around picking up white fluff while Lincoln watch me with his head hung in shame....poor baby. The 3rd ball is safe in the backyard and they can only play with it when we're out there with them!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
These stories are hilarious! We bought Tucker a "Tough Stuff" duck, thinking it would be a big more resilient... I think it was worse than the regular stuffies!! There are orange and blue shreds all over the living room floor! I did get him a Gumby toy (yes, an actual dog toy!) and he likes that, its rubbery so he cant rip it. I also bought him a larger Nylabone so he can gnaw on that and get his chewing urges out. Its supposed to taste like chicken but doesnt smell like anything... I believe it must thought because Tucker loves it! He did rip the stuffing out of a stuffed monkey and now all thats left is the monkeys "skin", he seems to like that best

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sully is the toy destroyer in the house. Doesn't matter whose toy, she is "killing" it. Scotty is the lover of the bunch, but now and again his sister will talk him into destroying something including the body pillow on our bed. He has the sense to look guilty and sorry, but not her. She has no clue what I'm talking about when I ask who did it. Right now Scotty has an ever-lasting ball (great toy), a braided ball, and a dinozilla. The Kongs are just for their crate treats. I have a dog toy box, but can't put much in it because of the toy-killer in the house. Good luck finding something that works.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Does anyone else have a destructive pup!? Every time we give Tucker a toy he insists on ripping off every little piece he can. Ropes, his blanket, any toy with any sort of stuffing... gone within the hour. He even ripped the head off of his brand new rubber duckey, 10 minutes after we gave it to him! Will he ever grow out of this or is it just a "Golden" thing? I know that they are a mouthy breed, but I didnt think they were a destructive breed... He doesnt care too much for toys that dont have dangly bits on them, and I really can only stand squeeky toys up to a certain point. What are some tips or good toys do you use?
Brooks is 5 years old and still cannot have any toys like you describe. I stopped buying them because it is a little painful to spend $5 or so on a squeaky toy that is destroyed in minutes.
He can only have the things marked "for vigorous chewers". And it's sad because he really loves squeaky things (he has one hard thing that squeaks but he doesn't like it as he did the soft squeaky things)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
He did rip the stuffing out of a stuffed monkey and now all thats left is the monkeys "skin", he seems to like that best
I have saved some of Brooks' most favorite empty "skins" of toys. I store them on top of the fridge and when I get one so we can play "find it" he gets so excited (poor dog)

·
Registered
327 Posts
We've given up on toys for Gracie. We only use toys when we are playing with her, but if you just give her a toy to entertain herself with, it'll be in shreds within seconds and then she gets all depressed because her new toy is destroyed.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra is funny the only stuffie she had fairly intact was her lamb she won at obedience class last January, it was only missing 1 eye.
Since Lance has come, and she has destroyed his stuffies and skinned his tennis balls,
so now Lance ripped her lamb apart, we only have skins left of everything now.
Karen

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have flat stuffies too, which they still love and play with/show off every day
1. a yellow-dog beanie bear ( stolen property, would not have given Tessa that one, she adopted it to be her 'puppy')
2. a flat kong teddy ( velcro back so the squeaker can be taken out for washing - the sqeaker itself is now a toy as it is in a little pocket of sheep-skin like material - Ben gets like 100-squeaks/minute in that form !!!
3. and a very flat duck which is the favourite
We just accept that there will be 1 0r 2 stuffed toys a year and let them do what they want with them :bowl:
The op shop is a good place to get them if you are prepared to let them loose for an afternoon ( under supervision) and then clean it all up

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a real newbie, but I think I read in Culture Clash that dissection is pretty common, and she was recommending taking a treat of some kind and knotting it up really tight in an old t-shirt and allow them to go ahead and tear it up to get the treat.

No idea if that reinforces a bad behavior you're wanting to extinguish or just allows you both to feel better about an existing tendency. Goodwill has to have really cheap T's, right? :)

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
The problem with Coley is that he not only destroys it but eats it. So, no more stuffed anything. And.............I had to put all of my pillows in a bag down stairs. He'd ruined 3 of them already and all while dad was sleeping soundly on the couch and the puppy was left to his own devices.

What concerns me is the amount of stuffing I found in his pooh for 2 days. I'm constantly getting out of his mouth slippers, socks, etc. The little dickens I swear opens the bed room door, the closet door and then gets into the laundry basket and then shuts everything behind him. God forbid that WE ever leave anything OPEN!

He's chewed the throw I put on the couch for him through to the arm cover which he also chewed. He pulled the backing off of the love seat. And, when I say chew that also includes eating it. I'm praying that he gets over this soon as it could get expensive and more importantly - I'm worried about an obstruction at some point.

If we have a brain fart and leave a bedroom door open - he's in there light lightening!! What a busy little big guy he is! Gotta love him, though. He's my big, bad, wonderful boy. lol

Oh! The one thing that keeps him busy for hours on end, though, is a sterilized cow bone with peanutbutter stuffing in it. Only place I've found them is in Walgreens and honestly, they are of God! Hopefully that will keep his mouthing at bay. I've tried the frozen stuffed kongs and he just looses interest in it after he picks it up and throws it to get the stuff out of it. Funniest thing I've ever seen. I swear he does it on purpose. What a smart boy he is!

·
Mandie And Roys Mom!
199 Posts
Roy is surprisingly not a toy dog, he just isn't interested in them.

Mandie however is a fiend for toys of all sorts and tears apart any toy, she's chewed the outer layer off a golf ball, DESTROYED a soft ball, tons of toys, eaten through wires, bones in just a few days... She's crazeh. =p

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I bought Tucker a Kong Wubba the other day while at Petco, thinking it would be durable... he destroyed it in 10 mins, even taking out the Kong part and ripping that to shreds! Its RUBBER! Hes a monster haha. My fiance then went to Target and bought this rubbery-bouncy blue ball thing, and Tucker absolutely loves it. He cannot sink his teeth into it because it is too rubbery, and when he drops it it bounces all over the house so he has to chase it. Its pretty funny. We have a large rubber geometric type ball that is hollow so you can put toys inside of it, and we put the blue ball in to see what he would do. He cannot get the blue ball out for the life of him, so its like a whole new toy all over again. I guess the key is just to keep them occupied enough to where they give up on trying to rip the thing to pieces!!

So another question, just out of fun curiosity now that the holidays are here. For those who celebrate Christmas, have you had any incidents of your dogs eating the Xmas tree decorations? We put the tree up last night, and of course this is Tucker's first Christmas so he had no idea what the darn thing was... he tried biting the branches (its a fake tree) and sniffing all of the ornaments in the box. I was afraid he was going to steal one and try to eat that! We put up a barrier that we made out of Priority Mail shipping boxes, so he cannot get to the tree. We take it down I think, once he starts to learn that the tree is part of the house now :) What is the craziest decoration or item your dog has ever eaten?

·
Registered
731 Posts
When Tessa was a puppy she destroyed her toys except the one she got the day we got her. Then she grew out of it, now Saadiah she hasnt destroyed any of her toys yet. Crossing my fingers!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If it's soft and stuffed it is toast when the GR gets it. When he was a young dog, i found out that our vacuum at the time didn't pick up the little pellets inside. If it was hard he had no interest in it unless it was a tennis ball.

When we got our cocker, I was surprised to that he had no desire to rip apart his toys. He does however enjoy pushing balls under furniture and try to get them out, usually whining the entire time. Dunc would never do that, but I hear it's common in cockers. They are geared to certain things I guess.

Our GR has been very sick and the cocker has been ignored so I bought him one of those "stuffingless" soft toys. Poor Emmit lost the toy to Duncan and it was dissected in two seconds flat. Emmit was back to carrying around a soft ornament teddy bear he stole from the tree.....

·
Destroyer of Toys
101 Posts
Louie is terrible with his toys. when we adopted him we didn't think he cared for toys. WRONG! his first toy lasted a week, and he loved it, even after i threw away all the fluff i had to pick out of the carpet. now they only last five minutes. i thought a fuzzy kong toy would be durable enough, but it didn't pass the test. so now he only gets fluffy soft toys every couple of weeks because they don't last long, and they are always the cheap ones now.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger used to be awful about demolishing stuffies but...he's getting so much better!!! He has FOUR stuffies that have been hanging around and he's stopped trying to demolish them. Including one that is his absolute favourite to tear apart and it's so pathetically constructed he could breathe on it and it would rip. So I guess miracles can happen!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts