Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a destructive pup!? Every time we give Tucker a toy he insists on ripping off every little piece he can. Ropes, his blanket, any toy with any sort of stuffing... gone within the hour. He even ripped the head off of his brand new rubber duckey, 10 minutes after we gave it to him! Will he ever grow out of this or is it just a "Golden" thing? I know that they are a mouthy breed, but I didnt think they were a destructive breed... He doesnt care too much for toys that dont have dangly bits on them, and I really can only stand squeeky toys up to a certain point. What are some tips or good toys do you use?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have given up getting expensive toys for my crew. they do tug a war with their toys and I think they like to see how small they can make the toys. So I buy cheap toys a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have one. Any soft toy is destroyed within minutes. She is not interested in any hard toys for more than a couple of minutes, if that. The only thing that I found that works is to play with the toy with her so she is not given the chance to destroy it on her own.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I solve the problem by only leaving down durable Nylabones and Kongs. Stuffed toys come out when we play together and then they get picked up until next time.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My dogs are toy destroyers, with Teddi at the top of the list. In my opinion they are "their" toys to do with what they want. I don't let them have stuffies unless I am home to supervise so I can pick up the fluff. Actually my dogs like the toys they have destuffed the most. So until pieces start getting ripped off those, we have a lot of flat former stuffies around.

I do also have a lot of nylabones, real bones, hard rubber toys, etc things they can have when I am not at home.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yep Joey too. I feel bad because about... 2 months ago our floor was basically covered with toys and now theirs only a couple of nylabones layin around. Hes destroyed the tuffys and every stuffed toy. He still has his duckie, he refuses to destroy it weirdly enough, but he'll go and get him from his kennel and start playing rough with it, so i take it away and put it back in his crate.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Our dogs sometimes do "surgery" on their stuffed toys too. It's a pretty natural desire.

The answer it to accept it or to buy tougher toys. I can't really get mad at a dog for chewing a dog toy. It's my fault for buying something expensive that wasn't durable.

They do make all kinds of extra-tough toys. Try some of those. Usually your dog has an upper limit on his chewing ability and if you buy a toy above it, that toy will last for a long, long time. Some dogs seem to rip apart even though toughest stuff, though.

Our guys have rope toys (which slowly wear down), kongs, nylabones ("durable" strength, not regular) which last forever, and reinforced stuffed toys that seem to wear around the edges but never get ripped into pieces.

Also, there's a stuffed monkey that went under the surgical knife, but I pulled all the stuffing out of him and gave him back, and now he's a favorite attack and tug toy but isn't getting chewed anymore. So for some dogs, stuffing free toys (they make them!) or stuffies with the stuffing removed may work.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The best analogy I have for this is getting angry with a kid who tears or cuts up paper rather than drawing. They're still using it, still being amused, it's just what they do. There's no "right" way to play with toys.

Like said above... get super durable toys, and the others only use for fetch or training.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie attempts to destroy all his soft toys and that includes any rope toys. He doesn't have a lot of toys, mostly bones, antlers, nylabones. The two toys that he plays with a lot and have been very durable are the
Cuz (with world's most annoying squeaker) and the
Chompion (no squeaker). Rookie did remove the feet from the Cuz in the first couple of days, but it is unchanged since then.

If you're looking for a soft toy that will last a while, the best ones I've found are
Tuffies. Rookie still tries to unstuff them and remove the squeaker, but they usually lasts a few weeks before that happens and then he carries them around a few weeks longer in the unstuffed stage.

Other than that, I'd suggest you take FlyingQuizini's advice and put the other toys away unless you're actually playing with Tucker. (I got the same advice from her a while back when I posted the same question about Rookie and that's what I do now.)

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I bought a sewing kit just to repair "injured" stuffies. Lucy has mostly grown out of destroying stuffies, but Dory will work to get a squeaker out of anything. I have actually started sending requests to Kong, that they not put a squeaker in almost every toy.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Rookie attempts to destroy all his soft toys and that includes any rope toys. He doesn't have a lot of toys, mostly bones, antlers, nylabones. The two toys that he plays with a lot and have been very durable are the
Cuz (with world's most annoying squeaker) and the
Chompion (no squeaker). Rookie did remove the feet from the Cuz in the first couple of days, but it is unchanged since then.

If you're looking for a soft toy that will last a while, the best ones I've found are
Tuffies. Rookie still tries to unstuff them and remove the squeaker, but they usually lasts a few weeks before that happens and then he carries them around a few weeks longer in the unstuffed stage.

Other than that, I'd suggest you take FlyingQuizini's advice and put the other toys away unless you're actually playing with Tucker. (I got the same advice from her a while back when I posted the same question about Rookie and that's what I do now.)
That reminds me that there was a destuffed beaver toy I let the girls keep in the back yard. Bart accidentally (or not) ran over it a few times with the lawn mower. Every once in a while, I find its tail, it's severed head, or a foot in some odd place. It's a little disturbing.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger is a stuffie destroyer, as well. He doesn't destroy the latex ones or the rubber ones even though he easily could. The stuffies apparently call out to him to be destroyed! So, I buy a few of the tougher ones (tuffies and go dogs) and re-stitch them when needed. I have noticed that Ranger is less likely to destroy his toys now, though. I stupidly left a stuffie down the other day and came back expecting it to be destroyed - but Ranger had just taken it into his bed for a snuggle and that was it! Until now, I used to what Stephanie said - leave out the durable toys and put away the easily wrecked ones for interactive play.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That reminds me that there was a destuffed beaver toy I let the girls keep in the back yard. Bart accidentally (or not) ran over it a few times with the lawn mower. Every once in a while, I find its tail, it's severed head, or a foot in some odd place. It's a little disturbing.

HAHA the image cracks me up :) I am glad I am not alone! I think I am going to Petsmart this weekend to take a look at their durable toys... I have gotten him Nylabones, but the edible ones will be gone in 30 seconds and he gets bored with the non edible ones. I will try to find one that is bigger and with more textures, to keep him busy.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
No rhyme nor reason to the ones that last and those that get torn apart here. I still have stuffies that have survived (though looking worse for the wear) from Oakly's puppyhood five years ago. I also have tough stuffies I bought just a week or so ago that are in pieces on my floor right now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Max surprisingly is not the toy killer in my house its my 15lb mini doxie that kills anything and everything stuffed. If its labeled as indestructable or extra tough anything like that I will lay down my life savings on him being able to kill it within 10 minutes or less. He does not have a loofah dog that has any feet, tails, ears, they all have 'battle scars' on their faces and butts. He has one moo that is de stuffed and tied in a knot that he loves to death.....I just keep them stuffed as long as possible and when its time to destuff tie them off in knots and they become whole new toys.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
My house is loaded with gutless wonders. Once a soft toy has a hole in it, I remove the stuffing and squeaker and let them have the remains. I also have kongs, bones, hard rubbery toys, ropes, balls etc.

One thing I regret .. my Rowdy could destuff a brand new toy in less than a minute (he is also the dog who played tug with my bed) and so I stopped buying him stuffed toys. Now, I wish I had let him destuff those things to his hearts content rather than trying to get him to play with more durable toys which he never did like.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
One thing I have observed... Teddi does not kill toys NEARLY as fast now that Quinn is around. Now don't get me wrong, the two of them can be heartless on a stuffie, but I do think they prefer to play together with it than kill it. If it gets killed in play... oh well. They pull out the stuffing, squeaker, and then have the empty shell to add to their toy reperatoire (ok no idea how to spell that :doh:)

Quinn won't kill a toy, Teddi is "the destroyer". My sweet little innocent Teddi bear, is on the stuffie most wanted list. Poor Teddi

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I gave the girls each a new hedgehog I bought at Walmart last night while getting groceries. In five minutes, Dory had the squeaker sticking out of her poor hedgehog's head. I think I may use it as a Halloween decoration.

Made me think of this

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
The Cuz is one toy that has actually lasted. MacKenzie loves it.

Stuffies - I only buy the cheap ones and lets them do what they want. Then walk around picking up all the fluff.

I get a 24 inch rope toy that lasts about 6 months. They love that too.

How about empty milk containers or soda bottles? They love them, and then just throw them out when they are done.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We are lucky.... Maya is good with her toys. Her "cousin" Hudson however.... **sigh** He's 3. He tears his toys apart, anything with any sort of fuzz!! he will completely strip a tennis ball in no time. So my sister just stuck to buying him hard toys or toys without fuzz, mostly just balls. Those are his favourite.

Hudson came over the other weekend and amputated one of Maya's purple Wubbas :(

1 - 20 of 58 Posts