Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any info on this breeder? From the internet research that I've done they have been around a long time and I haven't found anything negative posted about them. They do all of the health clearances, register their dogs and offer a 2 year health guarantee. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten a dog from them and what their experience was. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
It'd be hard to do any kind of eval, the site has an upcoming litter page, but that does not tell sire/dam info. There are 2 dogs on the 'boys' page, and none on the 'girls' page.
Neville's cardiac is insufficient, Chai's clearances are not verifiable- OVC is not doing them anymore.

·
Kristy
9,168 Posts
Have you asked the breeder for proof of the clearances on the litter you have listed?
If you provide the actual registered names of the parents of a litter it is possible for someone here to help you verify that they have been done by researching OFA website. You can also verify that they are there for multiple generations which is what you'd expect from a wellbred litter.

Have you done a search on this forum for breeder recommendations in the Toronto area? You are in a great region for finding reputable, ethical breeders. There is no reason to settle for someone who is cutting corners with health clearances.

You might also ask a lot of questions about how and where the puppies are raised for the entire 8 weeks, how they are socialized and also consider what the breeder is providing for the money. I always find it interesting when a breeder website makes a big deal out of all the activities they pursue with their dogs but then doesn't appear to actually compete and title their dogs in those pursuits. The whole point of this is that I can tell you how awesome my girl Ellie is and how much she loves to retrieve. But if I don't compete, you have no actual proof that the dog meets the minimum requirements. Since I love my dog more than the moon and stars put together, I'm not really an unbiased opinion. People compete with their dogs to prove that the dog has the traits to back up the claim. What is this breeder doing to back up her claims?

Even if you never show your dog you still want to have a Golden that is biddable, wants to please people and is easy to train. Some Goldens don't have those qualities and it's not as easy to live with them. If you're paying top dollar for a puppy, make sure the breeder is really putting all the work into the dogs that he says he is.

Personally, when a website talks about 'client dogs' it makes me wonder what the purpose truly is behind breeding their dogs. I want a breeder who is going to consider my home a "puppy family" and then treat me that way; I want their input and support and encouragement for the life of my dog. A good hobby breeder isn't selling puppies as a business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It'd be hard to do any kind of eval, the site has an upcoming litter page, but that does not tell sire/dam info. There are 2 dogs on the 'boys' page, and none on the 'girls' page.
Neville's cardiac is insufficient, Chai's clearances are not verifiable- OVC is not doing them anymore.
Hello from Stonemead Golden Retrievers,
In response to Prism Goldens' comments on my web site, I would just add this:
I agree updating my site is not a priority for me; my dogs are. All my dogs' clearances are up to date and all available genetic testing has been done. Since we only accept reservations from people who have been to our home, met us and our dogs, we show the original documentation of clearances and genetic tests to potential new owners at that time. Details of this documentation is also available on k9data.com.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Recommend it not be such a fishing expedition for potential buyers. I don't want to waste my time or that of the breeder if I can't do my own homework before visiting. In keeping w/ the GRCA COE, clearances should be posted to a publicly verifiable database, in the US, OFA is the one stop shop. Verifying clearances is an elementary building block in researching a breeder/litter and IMO is accomplished long before any visits are scheduled.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
So Olive of Stonemead is one of your girls? Do you usually breed them at 9 months? k9data says she was born 1/21/16 and offspring born 12/21/17
I realize this girl isn't old enough to have clearances or to be bred in my opinion but must agree as a puppy buyer it's nice to see OFA verifiable clearances.
That would make her a year and 9 months, approximately. But yes, still underage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a beautiful five year old female from Stonemead. She is well tempered, sweet, very healthy and easy to train. I highly recommend the breeder. This dog is very agile, her hips are perfect and eyesight is extremely good. People comment to me on how attractive she is.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Rosie I'm glad you are happy with your golden, we all love our dogs. As a reputable breeder selling quality puppies it's the breeders responsibility to do everything they can to make sure all the puppies they sell are free from genetic problems. Females should not be bred until they are over 2 yrs old and through growing.

All breeding dogs should have verifiable screenings for hip & elbow dysplasia on OFA... how can you know this if these precautions are not taken? With the horrible heart issues that run in the golden don't you think it is important to have this puppy producing dogs checked by a cardiologist to make sure you aren't passing on problems? There are lots of eye issues in this breed and most pet owners would never know there is a problem until it's really serious. But if the breeder has this checked each year it will certainly improve the puppy buyers chance of not inheriting these problems.

Has your dog ever had an eye exam with an opthamologist? Had the heart checked by a cardiologist? How do you know there is no problem if you don't check?

Good breeders don't just sell puppies, they work really hard to preserve and improve the breed. You can't know your breeding dogs are truly healthy and worthy of breeding if you don't test. I'm happy you have enjoyed your dog and hope that you never have to deal with any serious health issues. But as a puppy buyer, the cost of a golden puppy is an investment... I want to invest my dollars in getting as much quality as possible.

So when people on the forum evaluate a litter, we have no vested interest in anything but providing information on which breeders are following the GRCA code of ethics. We have nothing to gain by telling you when a breeder can do better or is not being truthful.

I am one of those that believes if you are not concerned about getting the most value for your money and don't care about the health history of the dog you are getting.... ADOPT from a kill shelter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any info on this breeder? From the internet research that I've done they have been around a long time and I haven't found anything negative posted about them. They do all of the health clearances, register their dogs and offer a 2 year health guarantee. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten a dog from them and what their experience was. Thanks.
Our golden from Stonemead lived to 15 years old. He had just passed away last year, he walked and played every single day until the day before his passed on. He was a beautiful and healthy dog with excellent temperament.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts