Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Remy came home from the breeder's house he was on puppy chow. After keeping him on that until he got acclimated to our home we switched him to Nutro ultra. The Nutro totally messed with his stomach... after having him on it a month we changed foods again (to Pro Plan) because his stools were not at all solid while on Nutro. Now he's on Pro Plan LBP and loves it... gobbles it up so fast that we had to buy one of those metal balls to make him eat slower. His stools are perfect. However, he has gas everyday and it is the worst smelling gas I've ever experienced. It smells worse than rotting meat... and I'm not joking. I know some gas is normal but if he has gas this often should I try to switch his food again?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you find out, please let me know. Bella has had the worst gas since we took her off Puppy Chow shortly after purchasing her. We have switched her food two times (Puppy Chow -> Authority -> Nature something or other) and it's so bad that it consumes the whole house.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger had bad gas - like room clearing, linger in the air for 10 minutes bad gas - when he was on Orijen after they did a formula switch. Shortly afterwards I switched him off, because i figured if he was getting such bad gas obviously something in the food wasn't agreeing with him. But, before I switched him off someone recommended putting digestive enzymes/probiotics in the kibble and it made a huge difference. From passing nauseating gas 5-10 times a day to only doing it 1 or 2 times a day. Lord help me if I forgot!! That's when we were living in a basement suite, in the winter too(!), so I couldn't open any windows to air it out. I went through a ton of scented candles that winter!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
You know, I can't think of the name of the ones I used with Ranger. I know lots of people on here use Nature's Farmacy ones, so I'd probably try those if I were to put him on them again. Hope it helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts