Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a six month old puppy who we love. :) However, in the last month or so, we have noticed an sudden increase in his odor, and it seems to be coming from his bottom. :( We bathe him frequently, and have been cleaning his bottom between baths to try to help with the situation. He has normal stools, so don't think there is anything wrong there. It is sometimes so bad that you can smell him from the other side of a room. It seems to come and go... some days are worse than others with no rhyme or reason. We are just baffled by what could be causing this. I have been reading online, and seeing lots of information about anal gland issues, but he doesn't seem to fit the description I am reading, other than the odor... he is not a small breed and is not having loose stools. Has anyone experienced this with their pup? Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my experience any dog can have full anal glands, never heard that it was related to size... that’s what I would suspect this is though is it possible he just has bad gas? Anal gland secretions have a very distinct smell (almost metallic, to me). It’s worth a quick trip to the vet just to see because it’s such an easy fix if that’s what it is. I recommend leaving the room during expression though...whew!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’ve not had this issue and am no expert, but I was just wondering if there was any change in his food when these things started? Have you changed brands, or are y’all feeding him more than before? Could he be eating something outside? I would be at a loss as well as far as what it might be. My first instinct would probably be thinking his food may be one reason it’s happening. If not I’d definitely take him in just to make sure all was okay. He may need a sensitive stomach formula or something.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We have a six month old puppy who we love. :) However, in the last month or so, we have noticed an sudden increase in his odor, and it seems to be coming from his bottom. :( We bathe him frequently, and have been cleaning his bottom between baths to try to help with the situation. He has normal stools, so don't think there is anything wrong there. It is sometimes so bad that you can smell him from the other side of a room. It seems to come and go... some days are worse than others with no rhyme or reason. We are just baffled by what could be causing this. I have been reading online, and seeing lots of information about anal gland issues, but he doesn't seem to fit the description I am reading, other than the odor... he is not a small breed and is not having loose stools. Has anyone experienced this with their pup? Thanks!

Your vet should be your 1st stop imo.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Anal glands smell kind of fishy metallic to me. And stink to high heavens.

If what you are smelling is a poop smell, I would suspect gas and might try some simethecone drops daily for a few days- and see if that stops it. If it smells metallic/fishy, he might have an anal gland issue (especially if you have seen him scooting) and should see the vet to determine whats going on w the glands unless you know how to express them and evaluate shape/texture.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you ever see him scooting his bum across the ground or trying to lick the area? Those are two additional telltale signs of anal gland issues.

·
Ann
367 Posts
My pup, Bear, will from time to time emit a fishy/metallic odor from his bum. Sometimes he’s sound asleep and it happens. Bear doesn’t scoot at all so I know his anal glands are not impacted or full. His poop is solid and his food contains a natural probiotic. I usually will just spray his bum and tail area with a spray on “shampoo” to get rid of the odor. It would more often happen when he was younger but now that he’s 16 mos old, I find it’s less frequent. Our 10 year old Golden would scoot from time to time but never, ever emitted that odor. Everyone describes the odor differently. I find that it smells very fishy and my adult daughter says it smells metallic to her. If he’s not scooting, I’d mention it to my vet at your next appointment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Starting around month 5 or 6, Tomo has smegma that's super stinky (fishy and metallic), particularly bad in the mornings. He licks himself, and I'll use a pet wipe if it's really bad or he's not as diligent about his penis cleaniness, lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Starting around month 5 or 6, Tomo has smegma that's super stinky (fishy and metallic), particularly bad in the mornings. He licks himself, and I'll use a pet wipe if it's really bad or he's not as diligent about his penis cleaniness, lol.
Ask your vet about prepuce flushes. You can do them at home. I got a chlorhexidine solution from my vet that i dilute with warm water, put in a syringe with the end cut bluntly and inject into his prepuce to flush out the area. oh the things we do for our dogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the great tips. He is not scooting and we have not changed his food, so we will keep an eye on things and mention it to the vet next time. Glad to hear some of your dogs have had the same issue and that some have outgrown it!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Ask your vet about prepuce flushes. You can do them at home. I got a chlorhexidine solution from my vet that i dilute with warm water, put in a syringe with the end cut bluntly and inject into his prepuce to flush out the area. oh the things we do for our dogs.
Oooh good to know. I think I may have some chlorhexidine and a blunt syringe somewhere (ah, supplies that pile up when you have old pets).

·
Registered
12 Posts
How often are you bathing? I go to the dog park every day and they have. Bathing station and because he swims in the pond there I was bathing him with soap almost every day. He got the foulest smell ever. It was really bad. I was told it was caused by the soap being used to often drying his skin and causing a weird reaction of overproducing oil. I switched to just rinsing him off and using soap every 2 to 3 weeks. Smell went away

1 - 15 of 15 Posts