Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shermy is kind of smelly. I don't think it is an ear infection (my beagle had ear issues and Sherm's ears have checked out fine at the vet)...I had him groomed last week (7 days ago) and he's been stinky since the weekend! It's just a doggy smell, but had dogs my whole life and never noticed a smell before. After he's been in his crate, the whole laundry room smells.

Could it be food? He's on Iams. I'd bathe him every week or so if I thought that would help, but three days after a pro grooming, it was back--so I don't think lack of bathing is the problem.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's body odor. It's definitely not coming from his ears. I really think it's coming from the fur b/c he smelled fine after the grooming, but a few days later, was stinky again. Which is why I wonder if it is a food issue...

IDK if the groomer expressed his anal glands. I've actually tried to empty them twice before (had to do my beagle's at least once a month) but they're fine--nothing ever comes out.

I'm really at a loss for what it is, but when I walk into my laundry room when he's been kenneled for more than 10 minutes, there is a definitive doggy odor. I couldn't smell the Glade plug in that I replaced yesterday, but I could smell him. I honestly wash HIS bedding more than I wash the human bedding in our house...

Could it be food related?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Check his skin, look for hot spots or anything like that. Where was he groomed? Is it somewhere he's been before? How do they bath the dogs?

Reason I ask is because some places do a 'quick' wash on the dogs, they don't actually get them lathered up down to the skin and rinsed again. I went to a grooming place to bath my guys once (they had the self serve thing) and they use a machine that recycles the shampoo water - it goes onto the dog, down into the drain and back out the tap. So by the end of the day or whenever they change it, it's pretty dirty water with not a lot of shampoo 'oomph' to it (I grabbed a bottle of shampoo off the shelf and used the 'rinse' water to bath the dogs). Another place had the shampoo so dilute I couldn't get much lather, also self serve but they said I was the first person to ever complain. It is much faster to put a weak solution of shampoo on and quickly rinse it off, dry the dog, trim the dog and then spray perfume on so they smell nice, so some places do that.

If it's his regular smell, I would suggest switching foods. I feed raw and the dogs don't have much of a smell to them unless they're kind enough to roll in something for me:yuck:, but I know some kibbles don't work well with the dog's chemistry.

Kinda like my other half and seafood.

Lana

The other thing that can happen is shampoo gets left on the skin, or in the ears, and a hot spot or infection starts, and they can smell.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look into how they groom. Quite honestly, I just kind of took for granted that they would do a better job than I do at home.

I really think it is the food. I can't explain why, just a hunch.

Since I've always fed Iams, any recommendations? He'll be 10 months old on Thursday, so he's on adult food.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Depends on where and how many dogs they're doing in a day. Where I work, two or three of us do 6 or 8 dogs at the most, usually goldens (just as an example). Bathing takes 30-60 minutes a dog.

As for food, I feed raw so have no clue on kibbles. If you check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ it has info and ratings on them.

Lana

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
It may very well be the food. There are tons of good foods out there. You might try switching protein sources and find one that has few grains, steering clear of corn and wheat (common allergens for goldens). A nice food that has ingredients your dog probably hasn't had before is Natural Balance venison and sweet potato. In my opinion, your pup shouldn't have an odor, so I'm voting for the food as culprit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mygarnetboy, did you ever find a solution? My Cooper is only around 5 months old and smells awful a short time after being bathed, to the point where if you pet him, you feel the need to go wash your hands because of the stench left on them. I have been looking around and it seems that people think the problem is the food, as he is on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, maybe it just doesn't agree with him. Hopefully you can get back to me with a solution.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts