Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flem is in need of ear trimming and I am in need of advice :D . When I got her back from boarding, I found out that while they had brushed her body pretty well, they clearly had forgotten about the ears. This, plus a bath without detangling on the last day, left her with ear matts (under, behind, on the flaps) :doh: which she normally does not have because I brush and comb her every other day. I worked on them little by little but had to end up cutting here and there with regular scissors. End result... she still has ears, lol but choppy on the flaps and a little wild all around is an understatement :eek: .

I read these two threads - they were very informative- and the links they gave :
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=33819
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=34359

So, I went to see at PetEdge what they had that could help me... Holly molly, I am lost. So many different sizes (from 5 to 71/2 inches) with different number of teeth (24 to 46, I think). My final purpose is to have the right tools that let me do a "freshen up" and to keep her ear area neater in the future, not to end up with anything that is show worthwile. My girl could certainly look a bit more civilized and kitchen scissors clearly do not do the trick :rolleyes:.

Could somebody give me a hint about the size and number of teeth that would best fit my needs ? Any particular reference model ? Do I also need other shears ? Curved, straight ?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping up for any input. :D

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
For what it is worth.
I use two pair of shears.
My "straight" shears are 8 inch with a "rounded tip"
My thinning shears are 7 1/2 inch and 44 or 46 teeth.

Both are by Miller's Forge and are low-mid price range. The straights were less then $30 about 2 years ago. The thinning shears were about $50 over 11 years ago.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Hank do you sharpen your own shears?
How often do they need it?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I do not sharpen my own. I just had my thinning shears done this spring at one of the shows in Harrisburg - $12 is I remember right. It was the first and only time they have been done. My straights have not been done yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts