Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Still born pups question

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ByallAcres 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I am brand new to this forum, but am desperately seeking advice. I am hoping you can help.

I have placed a deposit on a GR puppy that was born on June 11th. I am familiar with the breeder, as I know several others who have dogs from this same family - and some from the same female. All of the people I know have been delighted with their dogs, and all of the dogs have been healthy.

My puppy's litter of 7 (x-rayed about a week or so before birth) contained 5 still-born, and only 2 very hearty, healthy live pups - one male, on female. It has been nearly 2 weeks, and the pups are showing all normal behaviors, weight gain, etc.

Should I be concerned about the health of my pup? SHould I withdraw my deposit? Should I seek another breeder? THis is the first time this has ever happened. The dog is 6, and has had 5 litters - this was already scheduled to be her last.

The breeder's vet said he isn't concerned, my vet has said that we should give it a few weeks to verify the early development is on track.

Can anybody offer me insight or advice? I'm excited, but also nervous.
THANK YOU!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you all - so much!

I did not speak to the breeder's vet, but I am sure I could. My vet said there are a number of possible reasons for why this would have happened. She seemed most concerned about seeing how the pup progresses. From what I've read online, I should both "not worry" and also "run for the hills." How do you ever know what is the right thing to do?

#6 ·
I had that happen to me with my last pup. The mom was pregnant with 8 and re absorbed 6 at the last moments and 2 lived. They were fine. It was her last litter as well. I know it's tough, but the two week mark is approaching and since your pup is doing well all signs point to a healthy pup.

#7 ·
I am new to breeding and have only had 4 litters so far so I am by far not an expert. I had one still born puppy in our second litter and was told by my vet that if my dog was bump (it doesn't have to be hard) even by one of the other dogs in the last 2 weeks of her pregnancy could result in a still birth. I cannot imagine it happening to that many puppies at once, but who knows. I have separated my Rose from the other dogs from litter 2 until now to prevent that and have had no more still born puppies. That may be just luck though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.