Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda is almost 10 months and it is still a hassle to brush her. We started smearing peanut butter on the cupboard for her to lick while we brush but sometimes that isn't even enough and she tries to run off. After we are done she won't come by us for 1-2 minutes...it is so bizarre.

When we use the rake she doesn't mind as much but still not a huge fan. Can I use that every day or every other day?

The other one we have is bristle brush...what kind of brush do you use?

Just trying to figure out what the anxiety behind getting brushed is.

Thanks!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank isn't like that for brushing but get the scissors or nail clipper out and he 'heads for the hills'. We've had him since he was 5.5 weeks old, never been to a professional groomer so having been cut or nicked isn't the reason. He's always been like this. Lucky for us he runs around outdoors on the driveway and patio a lot to keep his nails short. I use a small scissors to tidy-up around his ears and sneak up on him. He also hates his ears messed with but he has clean ears so that isn't a big issue.

I'll be interested to hear some thoughts on this.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks wasn't afraid of being brushed, but always tried to bite it so it was impossible. I finally figured out that he didn't mind the front of his chest being brushed, so I started there each time and treated and talked all lovey dovey so he didn't mind me moving to other areas. We still sortof play a game where when he lies on his back and I brush the long fur on the backs of his legs he wiggles and kicks. Kindof reminds me of a kid wiggling and laughing when he is tickled.

PS I used a ladies metal bristle (tips coated with plastic blob) type brush. I figured if it felt good on my head and hair, he wouldn't mind it either.

·
the party's crashing us
4,177 Posts
Get a grooming table with a noose. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I use a wire slicker on Casper. They only try to bite that a few times. Ha. Otherwise I work brushing time into petting time when he is almost asleep. We started just a little at a time. Down his back, which isn't too ticklish. Then his legs, the feathers, the ears, the feathering, and then the stomach. I don't know how he stands the slicker on his stomach where there is so little hair.

My last collie wasn't the biggest fan of brushing and of course there was no choice there. I would wait until he was tired, give him a rawhide, and hold him down with my leg if needed.

We did "grooming tools training" in dog class last week. I'm going to do this with the nail clippers. I start with sniff-click-treat, rewarding him for not running off. Then snip (in the air) and treat. Then snip near the toe and treat. Always rewarding for the behavior I want and eventually getting to the nails. Up until now, I've just been pinning him down and trimming. I think this is worth a try.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
If another adult is available I would have one person feed little treats while you brush... similarly to if you were training a command. She will hopefully quickly figure out that brushing means treats... yum!

As far as brushes I use a regular bristle brush and the Furminator... which I know others hate so I won't go into that. If I were you I would start with a gentle bristle brush... one for puppies and move up from there. It might not get all of the hair for now but it should be easier for her to tolerate (I would think).

If you're concerned about brushing correctly I would consult with your vet or a groomer. Best of luck and please let us know how things go!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My 1 long haired cats hates to be brushed I have had her since she was 6 weeks old (Going to be 12 this year). She and her litter maters where dumped at the vets office in a cardboard box. They came to open the office and found a box of kittens. She will "cut you" if you brush her for more than 5-10 minutes. But will let me cut her nails, check her mouth, and clean her ears as needed without difficulties. I can even wash her with minimal probs. I just pick my battles with her. I cut mats out of her and keep her hinny-hair cut short.

My yorkies get combed daily. They are not fans but will stay.

Buddy loves the attention period. I make it a game with him. We brush for a few minutes then say "okay done". He walks away. Then I will call him back and say "Buddy brush time". Sometimes I start to brush him again and other times I just give him loves. I want it to be positive for him. I also mix it put with the treats sometimes I have them and sometimes I don't. He loves the brush on his face and legs. I'm starting to use a comb on his body, tail, and tussy because he is starting to get long hair growth.

Try breaking it put into small sessions throughout the day. It maybe that she just does not want to stay still for that long. Always try to end with a positive.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nyah isn't scared of being brushed but she sure makes it difficult. She won't stay still and consyantly moves when I brush her.... she also tries to bite and play with the brush. I try to brush her a few times a day but only a minute or less at a time.

·
And now our second!
200 Posts
We have the same problem with Loka. It's really weird, because she's not sensitive anywhere - we can poke and prod her anywhere (ears, paws, eyes, mouth) and she doesn't even flinch. But get that brush out and look out!

After trying all of the suggestions listed here for the last 9 months, we decided to get one of those glove style brushes. They really aren't that great, but we've been using it to acclimatize her to brushing and so far it's working alright. We do it when she's tired and relaxed. We started by just putting the glove on at random times and wearing it like it was normal. Then we would wear it when petting her with the other hand. Then we would just rest it on her. Now we can brush her with it. It doesn't take out tonnes of hair, but it's better than nothing! We're hoping that in a while we can work our way up to our other brushes again and hopefully she won't mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bentley didn't hate it but wanted to eat it. I would break out a bully stick, hold that with one hand and pin brush in the other. Once he had settled in my lap chewing his stick, I would start to brush. It took a long time before he came around but now he lays down and lets me brush him.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Do you use a slicker or pin brush? I personally hate slickers (and so do the dogs) they love the pin brush. But they love to be brushed, actually push each other out of the way to be first. It wasn't always like that.... Darby was a holy terror for his first year. I would have to wrestle and sit on him in the beginning. He didn't hate it so much as he just could not hold still, he thought it was a game and refused to sit for 1 minute. After we got Kirby and she would sit, lay and enjoy it and beg for more he started to come around. Even then it had to be short sessions. Now he readily comes running....

I think she is now feeling your emotions and frustrations before you even start (you know it will be an ordeal and your projecting) they read us. She is reacting to your tension.

I would back pedal, in the evening sit on the floor with the brush near you, play a little and get her to roll over for a belly rub or scratch. Run your fingers through her fur, massage her back and then when you both are relaxed pick up the brush just lightly brush her and just a little bit, keep it short. If she starts to get worried or you start to tense up, drop the brush and go back to the massaging and petting. Do not try to brush again this time. Try again the next evening. Slowly build up both your confidence and hers and turn grooming into a "love the dog" session.

This worked wonders on Darby and I began this way with Kirby, now when I sit on the floor they run over and flop down on me for their "love the dog" session. :)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Muddypaws outlined how we did it too. Coop has always loved being brushed so at night when I pull out the pin brush he runs over to be brushed. Kye would stand for a short bit, then wiggle, move, hard to get her fully brushed. In the last month I think she wants the attention and will now move between Coop and I so she can get her brushing too. We started slow, at night with massage and light tummy brushing, now Kye will let us brush her all over, but her tail (still a trick to get this brushed well). Thankfully Coop just stands and semi sleeps the whole time. I like this "down" time, brushing is relaxing for all of us.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. We have the furminator which we use once a week but I have a wire bristle brush that I try to use every other day. She hates it...she runs away and hides at the first sign of it. I took one of my old paddle brushes for my hair which is soft and not prickly on her at all. She didn't mind that as much. I think we will implement some of the strategies listed here and see what happens...thanks everyone!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Tucker's a little stinker for brushings, too, and he's 9 1/2 months old. I put a treat in his treat ball, and he will spend the brushing time either chewing on his treat ball or me. And I wouldn't dare try to do it at all unless he's tired! I'm usually able to get the task done in about five minutes. I'd like to say it's getting better, but I think it's just me hoping/imagining! ;)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine havent gone through the major shed yet either, so we practice brushing every night and get a bit of hair every time. Looking at their coats I can see we will need to probably vacumn every day or more. Really not looking forwards to this first shed and with my luck they will both do it at the same time! Hopefully it will be early spring and the birds can use it for nesting, cause I am sure we will have enough hair to "make" a nest the size of the tree!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She is shedding a lot right now but it is manageable as she doesn't have a lot of long feathers yet. She is still semi short coated. Her butt feathers and tail are long and she is starting to get longer hair on her legs but her stomach doesn't have the long flowy hair yet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts