Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 8 months old Koda has not gotten over her fixation with eating EVERYTHING! I don't care if she gets a leaf or some grass or harmless things but the sticks worry me? She eats them, not just chews on them and my assumption is that is bad for them. She has gotten good at drop it if she is on a short leash (her 6 ft leash) but when we have her on the long lead and she gets one she won't drop it, we have to get it out of her mouth.

This weekend we put her on her tie out in the front while my DH was taking the lights down. She loves being outside so we didn't want to exclude her while we were out there. I want to trust her to just be outside with us and not worry about her eating something every other second. Does this get better with age or should we be doing something to stop this..? I am at a loss as I don't want to chase her when she has something cuz then I am making a game out of it but I always don't want her eating sticks ...

any help??

·
Kate
21,426 Posts
If she's playing with them or lightly chewing or shredding them (spitting everything out) - then it's OK.

If she's eating them or really gnawing at them - not OK.

I know of way too many dogs who chew on sticks, and even though they haven't swallowed them, they've gotten pieces stuck in their jaw and the owners don't realize until it gets infected and the dogs start drooling and smelling.

·
Registered
788 Posts
For a second I thought tha I had wrote this post. :p: Unfortunately I don't have any advice. Nyah and Koda are yet again twins. lol She not only chews sticks, she eats them like it's food. Its definately not good for them because usually it makes her throw up if we dont pull it out of her mouth on time. She actually also ate chunks of dry wall found on the ground this weekend. :no: We have to keep her on leash at all times when she is at my bf's parents house. It sucks cause she loves running around as well but will not give up a stick when we tell her too. Hopefully this is just a stage. *sigh*

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds SO familiar. I should just bring a tape recorder of myself saying "leave it" and "drop it" on walks and save my voice. I let Ozzy chew on them but when I see he's eating them I step in. I think he IS getting a LITTLE better with age (or maybe it's just hopeful thinking....).

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I suppose I could let her chew as long as she spits out...I just don't know if she will. I get so jealous of people that take their dogs outside with them and they are doing work while their dogs just mozy around. I want that, especially come spring when we want to re do all the landscaping outside. We want to bring Koda out with us while we work outside but right now one of us has to sit beside her and watch her at all times. O well..such is life!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yea, I suppose I could let her chew as long as she spits out...I just don't know if she will. I get so jealous of people that take their dogs outside with them and they are doing work while their dogs just mozy around. I want that, especially come spring when we want to re do all the landscaping outside. We want to bring Koda out with us while we work outside but right now one of us has to sit beside her and watch her at all times. O well..such is life!
I know exactly what you mean! We're working on invisible fencing training now and that helps but then there still is the issue of watching what he gets into. Ozzy will chew branches off our bushes if he let him. I'm hoping he'll grow out if it someday!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, Tucker eats sticks. Yes, I'm guilty of not pulling every single one out of his mouth. I do a "trade-it" with all the big, sharp, scary looking ones, but if I did it with every piece of tree debris he got ahold of, I would be pulling things out of his mouth constantly (which I'm close to already...:no:). So, we may be taking a trip to the vet at some point, as I'm sure our luck will run out, but for now, we're hoping he grows out of the habit, and do the best we can to control it. On walks, he grabs for sticks and chews out of frustration when dogs are barking at him, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. I might be wrong, but that's how we deal with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amber ALWAYS has something in her mouth. We take her out to the orchard (flat, no weeds or bushes) to play ball and she invariably finds a stick to play with/eat. She crunches it up. I always take high-value treats out with me so that I can trade with her. She also likes to pick up pea gravel from the kennel yard and run back in the doggy door away from me. We have two 400 year-old oak trees on our property, so it varies from flowering seeds, acorns, leaves and sticks, depending on the time of year. It is very frustrating as we want to allow her to run and exercise. Trading with the VERY high-value treat is the only thing that has worked so far. I finally had a talk with our vet and he said that you can drive yourself crazy trying to be hyper-vigilant and he is surprised at what the dogs can process. Catch-22, I guess. I definitely feel your pain. :wavey:

So at 8 months old Koda has not gotten over her fixation with eating EVERYTHING! I don't care if she gets a leaf or some grass or harmless things but the sticks worry me? She eats them, not just chews on them and my assumption is that is bad for them. She has gotten good at drop it if she is on a short leash (her 6 ft leash) but when we have her on the long lead and she gets one she won't drop it, we have to get it out of her mouth.

This weekend we put her on her tie out in the front while my DH was taking the lights down. She loves being outside so we didn't want to exclude her while we were out there. I want to trust her to just be outside with us and not worry about her eating something every other second. Does this get better with age or should we be doing something to stop this..? I am at a loss as I don't want to chase her when she has something cuz then I am making a game out of it but I always don't want her eating sticks ...

any help??

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Lumberjack!

Maisie, 7 months, is a stick-a-holic. She chews them every day and we let her chew them, but not eat them. Some of you have read my joke that I'm planning to rent her out to a lumber yard to turn logs into mulch. But, she doesn't seem to eat them -- so far, so good.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Our back yard is full of logs and sticks thanks to Lola. She constantly chews on them..... does not seem to hurt her one bit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I definently know what you are going through, Summer would put everything in her mouth as a puppy (still does on the occasion) I found that the more I tried to take things out of her mouth it got worse. She would actually get something in her mouth and act sly about it and even carry her head away from me, thinking I couldnt see. She also got to the point where she would end up just chewiing it faster and even swallowing it quickly which made it more dangerous. She grew out of most of it by me using treats, I would do drop/exchange )since drop didnt always seem to work) Still to this day I keep a few treats in my pocket for the times that she needs to be reminded! Hopefully it will get easier for you as well, I know how frustrating it is!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Years ago, our first Golden loved to chew on sticks. We thought he spit out the shards but we were wrong. When he was about 13 years of age he started experiencing some elimination issues (fecal). His vet questioned us about what he was eating and out of the blue asked us if he enjoyed stick chewing. We answered in the affirmative and she gave us the lecture that sticks can cause severe damage in the digestive system and we should not let him chew them anymore. He recovered without internal injury but we learned an important lesson.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
What kind of games do you play with Koda? My noy 8mos too loves to carry a stick to me to play with. He loves fetch be it a ball, stick, frisbee or his bumpers for hunt training. He can not get enough of fetch.
I have sticks all over my yard. My yard looks more like a forest than a yard I perfer it that way.
I find the more I try to keep things from my dogs the more value they put on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Peyton loves anything wood and any size. Oh and rocks, chunks of sod, wildflowers, etc. if she has something I don't want her to have I just grab something else and show her and she will drop what she has. I found out if bigger deal I make of what she has the less she wants to drop it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It does get better! We have a couple big trees in our back yard. Maddie loves to bring them in to shred. I usually redirect & she'll leave them.

Very funny though, the night she tried to drag a 5 ft. branch in through the dog door. It didn't take her long to figure out that if she came inside & grabbed the end, she could pull it in that way. Problem solver.

This was in September, icky, gross stick. Didn't let her chew that one (except to get the pic). We were fishing. She had a blast that day!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I allow Oscar to chew and EAT any sticks and since I don't care much, he is not crazy about eating them either. I walk him in woods off leash every singe day and it's lots of things he can eat. If I would remove everything he put in his mouth, that would be my full time job. I trust my dog, just closely watch to avoid the dangerous human made items. The thing I don't let him eat is a rotten salmon, which he often found along the river. Lots of nutriotion, but I cannot stand its terrible smell :p:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Plus the rotten fish breath..ick. Don't blame you there!

·
Registered
417 Posts
My hubby jokes around that we could use Tucker's poop for firewood. :doh: And yes, I know it's not good for him - but some of the small pieces the dog finds have got to be safer for him than most of the other things we manage to keep away from him! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts