Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our breeder is recommending no steps for our puppy until 12mo of age. She recommends carrying the puppy up and down all steps until he is at least a year old. Does anyone else follow this type of plan? One of my concerns is that when it is time to stop carrying him will he have a fear of going up and down on his own? I realize he should not be allowed to rip and tear up and down, but we have 4 steps up to our porch and then one flight to our upstairs area, another concern would be actuallyl carrying a growing puppy until he is a year old.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hmmm. I do not know the exact answer. But Lucky is 83 lbs (a little overweight still) but he would be IMPOSSIBLE to carry down stairs, even one! Especially since I predominantly care for him and I only weigh 115.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When Clover had her surgery and was in a splint, I had to carry her up and down the 4 steps to the yard. I had to do this for 7 weeks, she went from 37 lbs to 49 lbs!! I had no choice but to do it then. She's 60 lbs now and just turned a year. Buzz was at 70 lbs at a year.

Never heard of not letting them go up and down steps for the first year. I'm sure some of the breeders and other members can answer this for you.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We have steps in our house (2 floors + basement) and out to the yard. Hank's been going up and down most of them since we brought him home. It's not something he plays on or races up & down many times a day. Even at 4 months he's way to heavy to carry, not that he'd allow it, he hates being carried! Carrying them up & down steps for their first year is IMO, nuts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We live in a two story house and Bailey and us sleep upstairs, I am not carrying upstairs anymore (just did it the first 2-4 weeks) now she's walking upstairs by her own. She usually only uses the stairs at night to go "night night". All day long she's downstairs and is not doing any stairs.

Also when I drive somehwere with her she's in a portable crate and I always carry her on the ground, she never jumps or climbs up... it's sometimes funny to watch because it's not that easy to get a dog out of crate - she weighs approx. 37 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Our vet recommends limiting steps for large breeds, until they are a year to 18 months old (depends on the breed). They can still go up and down, but only once or twice a day. The idea is to limit stress on the hips.
We've done it for 20 years. Not sure if it was luck or limiting the stairs that helps our pups have healthy hips.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think the biggest problem with steps and stairs is the pups running up and down really hard. Keep them from doing that you should be fine. Walking is fine.

·
16,000 Posts
That is excessive, IMO. I do believe, though, that they should not be allowed to charge up and down like maniacs. I make mine walk slowly and under control - on leash if need be.
To carry a dog that size up and down stairs for a year may or may not prevent orthopaedic problems for the dog but most assuredly would cause them for the human doing it!:doh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, my concern was definitely two-fold. I don't want to harm the puppy in any way but I don't want to create a scardy cat either. But honestly, I can't imagine carting a squirming 50lb dog up a flight of steps each night and back down in the morning. We'd both probably end up on the floor. I agree with limiting and more than likely he will only be allowed to go up at bedtime and be required to stay down on the main floor the rest of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts